Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Well we tried !! :(

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:08 PM
  • 25 Replies
We made it to exclusively 6 1/2 month of ebfding !! I'm excited about that bc I only made it 10 weeks with my son .

She's now 7 months 1 week and she's not nursing anymore :( my milk is almost gone . I had supply issues at around 5 months but it just got worse :( .

Stress really affects my supply
:(.
But she's still really happy and that's all that matters !!!

Pic down in replies .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy_4509
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Lillian 6 1/2 months
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy_4509
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Lillian 7 months ( now )
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

How do you know your milk is gone? It's extremely uncommon for your milk to just dry up if your baby is nursing on a regular basis. 

mommy_4509
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:37 PM

bc when i squeeze my nipples nothing comes out anymore .... weve been having severe issues with supply .. my supply was so low around 6 1/2 months we had to stop b/c she wasnt getting any .. i dont even get any with a pump . and i was pumping around 4 months i was pumping 6 oz each breast but then it got lower and lower each week . and now Nothing . :( ..  and i fed her on demand but my supply just kept dropping ... it did this with my son but that was when he was around 10 weeks

Quoting jjchick75:

How do you know your milk is gone? It's extremely uncommon for your milk to just dry up if your baby is nursing on a regular basis. 

MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this
That doesn't mean anything about supply, neither does pump output. It's pretty normal for pump outputs to decrease over time.

The main thing to look for is diapers. If your baby is getting plenty of diapers, your supply is fine.

Quoting mommy_4509:

bc when i squeeze my nipples nothing comes out anymore .... weve been having severe issues with supply .. my supply was so low around 6 1/2 months we had to stop b/c she wasnt getting any .. i dont even get any with a pump . and i was pumping around 4 months i was pumping 6 oz each breast but then it got lower and lower each week . and now Nothing . :( ..  and i fed her on demand but my supply just kept dropping ... it did this with my son but that was when he was around 10 weeks

Quoting jjchick75:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babymine
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:47 PM
Diaper count is the only indication of supply. I went from pumping tons when my son was a newborn, to getting nothing out at all by 6 months. But he nursed 3 1/2 years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Awww... she is such a cutie!! Congrats on 6.5 months :)

TTC2Long
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this
What a great smile! Congrats on 6 1/2 months!

As pps have said, pump output means nothing. It's really normal for your supply to regulate and pump output diminish though baby still gets what she needs directly from the tap. I was pumping 4oz per side for a while, but didn't worry when it dropped to 1 because of the lovely ladies in here. Ds' dipes were more than satisfactory, so I knew he was getting enough.

You CAN also, if you're working, have her care provider give formula during the day and nurse for her meals while you're home. Your body will adjust. It's not all or nothing. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jun. 28, 2012 at 4:57 PM
After the first two weeks, I can't pump a quarter of an ounce. That's been my experience with 4 babies, each ebf'd the first 6 months and then to 2+years. I just don't respond to a pump at all. The very best pumps are only about 20% as efficient as a baby at removing milk, and I'm talking about moms who CAN pump. My kids were giving me plenty of diapers so I knew it must have been going in. It's hard not to second guess ourselves, especially when some doctors tell moms to pump to see how much is coming out as a measure of supply. :-(. The pump is one of the most fatal "booby traps".

Quoting babymine:

Diaper count is the only indication of supply. I went from pumping tons when my son was a newborn, to getting nothing out at all by 6 months. But he nursed 3 1/2 years.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy_4509
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 5:07 PM

she was down to 1 pee diaper in 24 1/2 hours so . and i didnt like that . so i just started supplementing .

Quoting MamaCeleste0722:

That doesn't mean anything about supply, neither does pump output. It's pretty normal for pump outputs to decrease over time.

The main thing to look for is diapers. If your baby is getting plenty of diapers, your supply is fine.

Quoting mommy_4509:

Quoting jjchick75:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)