Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bringing a Pump

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 5:49 AM
  • 9 Replies

Would it be at all helpful to bring a breast pump to the hospital or is that completely unnecessary?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 5:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
weezer_cookie
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 5:50 AM
I didnt. It is just another bag to carry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GunaBmommaof3
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 5:52 AM
They will have one there if you need it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xHeiligx
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 5:53 AM

It's just a small manual that I can easily fit in my hospital bag.

Quoting weezer_cookie:

I didnt. It is just another bag to carry.

CafeMom Tickers
heathercm26
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 6:00 AM
I wouldnt necessarily. You will probably spend most of your time staring at baby and smiling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zannahdeux
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:09 AM
Why would you need a pump? You have the baby there with you....
Tea4Tas
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:13 AM

You really should avoid pumping for the first 6 weeks or so to allow your supply to get established.

Optimally at that time you can start pumping and having someone else give your baby a bottle.  You wouldn't want to give a newborn a bottle before the baby has learned to latch correctly.  That is begging to wind up with sore nipples, and nipple p[reference.

The way a baby gets milk form a breast is VERY different fromt he way he/she gets it from a bottle.  If they lioke the bottle better (and it's a lot less work for them) then they would be inclined to use those same motions on the breast, resulting in sore nipples  and a frusterated baby.

melindabelcher
by mel on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:42 AM
No need. Just put baby to breast., matter of fact hide that pump. Pretend it doesnt exsist for at least 4-6 weeks after baby is born :)
Trust you body, trust your baby. If your having issues in the hospital best thing to do would be address the issue and resolve them long before that pump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM
If your hospital will provide you with an LC, bring it. I was grateful to the LC at the hospital for showing me how it worked, how to clean it (my husband actually learned this from her and he taught me), and how to fit the horns to my breasts. I thought it WAS useful. I would always recommend bringing it. Just leave it in the car until you are postpartum. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heathercm26
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 6:30 PM
Oh i dont know...... i personally think it is nice to have lots of frozen milk for things like when you go out with out baby to the movoes or the bar. Then when your out you can pump and dump rather than pump cool and store it. Then clean the pump and pump again later. What a hassle. I found it was easier to pump before i regulated and had extra.

The problem is that it is so tempting to use thar milk when your tired or sore. Or maybe dad want to let you sleep in and uses it.....then you miss pumping and your supply goes down......then you feel like you should use more of it cuz baby is hungary and you think your out. It can become a viscious cycle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)