Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Drs says 6 month old not gaining enough weight

Posted by   + Show Post

My doctor says my daughter is not gaining enough weight and has dropped on her growth curve and now wants me to switch her to mainly formula and i can still nurse just not as a main source of feeding. She has only been breast fed, and will not take a bottle, not even when i have tried to give her my breastmilk in a bottle.

So for the mothers who have switched and had a hard time finding a bottle that your lo would take, which bottles have worked? I have tried at least 6 different kind of nipples and even before now I have tried to give her almost every pacifier on the market and she refused all of them. She seems very confused by them?

by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Replies (41-47):
JasonsMom2007
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 4:33 PM
Yep. Rice cereal is terrible. Nurse before solids and no cereal. You don't even have to do baby food. You can just go directly to real food.

Quoting mjrex87:

Actually, it's the rice cereal that doesn't have enough nutrients. I really don't know why doctors still tell parents to feed rice cereal. It is completely pointless, IMO. Your milk is fine, though.

Quoting lmstanko:

Also is it true that maybe my milk doesnt have enough nutrients? People have told this and i am not sure if that is true.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
method209
by Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:38 PM
We had the same problem and was told the same thing. I ended up giving her formula through a sns. At one year she is 17 lbs, but healthy and happy. The doctor is now happy as long as she doesn't lose weight.
MrsKrough
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter was 7 lbs 1Oz at birth and she is now 8 1/2 months and just shy of 14lbs when all other kids are 20+. She looks healthy and is doing everything she should. Some babies are just tiny and slow gainers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jess__C
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter was born 6lbs 9ozs and was 12 ( barely ) at 6 months. At a year she was 16 lbs. Formula pushing doctors piss me off. As long as your baby seems strong find another doctor. I also recommend avocados as first solids. They are perfect! Mushy nutrient rich healthy fats
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 1:10 AM
Yup!

Btw, my dd only nurses for 3-5 minutes unless she's falling asleep and has been that way since 3 months old. Some are just super efficient.

Quoting mamabens:

You've gotten some great advice...only thing I'll add is FIRE that dr & find a new one!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmccaughrean
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I had the same problem you are. My daughter at her 2 mon check up they said didn't gain enough weight. Honestly i think it was their archaic scale that was off. To pacify the doctors i put her on a little formula. I bottle a day thankfully i had given her a bottle early with a little pumped milk, she would only take the nuk nipples and she has never really cared for a pacifier to this day but will take the one from the hospital. Recently I have started her on solids and her daily diet looks the same as yours. I have cut out the formula since she was only having about 4 ounces anyway,since she is on the solids now,

In my experience if your baby is happy and is gaining weight at every appointment than you are doing fine. I freaked out when they told me to put her on formula because I was actually doing good with nursing this time. My other 2 didn't last long. But now we are over 6 months she was born at 6lbs 13 oz and was just weighed at 13.2. 

I just wanted to let you know that your not alone. I had the same thing happen and it all worked out. Remember doctors can only really give you their opinion. You are the mom do what feels best to you as long as your daughter is happy and is putting out a good amount of diapers i wouldn't worry to much. 

Good luck! :)

ty355172
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:16 AM
Bm has more calories than formula. Also, you should be nursing before any solids. Cereal is garbage. Try some high calorie nutrient dense foods. Avocado, banana, sweet potato. Just mash or cut into small bit size pieces.solids are for fun at this age anyway, not for a real meal. They don't really need solids this young. Nursing before any solids and more calorie dense foods might be enough to put on a few extra ounces. Aside from that, her weight sounds normal to me. Seems about a pound a month. Dd dropped from the 90th to about the 50th for all her measurements around this age, pretty common for bf babies. I would seek out a nursing friendly- knowledgeable ped.

Quoting lmstanko:

also her feeding schedule is

morning nursing both sides around 6 ish

8 am bkft 2-3 tablespoons of rice cereal moslty mixed with breast milk but not always because i dont pump well and then i nurse afterwards 

1130ish she will nurse again boths sides usually

around 1 she nurses again and again around 330ish

dinner is around 5-6 and she gets half jar of a veggie and half jar of fruit and nurses again

then nurses around every 3 hrs afterwards. i dont really count how many nursings  thru out the days but thats pretty much what a normal day is. She nurses on demand untill she isdone.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)