Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How often should he poop?

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM
  • 7 Replies
Baby is just over 2 weeks old and now that we have our latch issues worked out he's nursing great. However, he was having 1-2 dirty diapers a day until Tuesday. That day he only had one and hasn't had any since. He is passing gas some but no dirty diapers. He is still having several wet diapers a day.
How long should he go without before I should be concerned?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mama02040608
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:12 PM
This early on, he should be having at least a couple decent poops a day. Once he's 4-6 weeks old, he can slack off. Offer the breast more often and see if more input gives more output :) Also be sure the latch is good and you're letting baby stay on as long as baby wants and not limiting feeds at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:14 PM

all that matters is total diapers in 24 hours which need to be at least 6. as long as tummy is soft and hes passing gas he is fine. bfed babies can go up to 2 weeks if not longer without having a poopy diaper

mama02040608
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:20 PM
This is true after about a month. Young newborns should poop more like daily. No poops at this age can reflect lack of intake.

Quoting Nicolle_09:

all that matters is total diapers in 24 hours which need to be at least 6. as long as tummy is soft and hes passing gas he is fine. bfed babies can go up to 2 weeks if not longer without having a poopy diaper

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:23 PM
Quoting Nicolle_09:

Actually, in the first few weeks having at least 2 poopy diapers very 24 hrs is a very important indication that baby is getting enough.

The fact that you've had problems with latch, and baby is not pooping every day is a concern.

Was baby up to birth weight at 2 week check?

If baby is over 4 weeks and gaining well, THEN it is okay to not poop every day. Until then, 2 poops a day minimum!

EckersGirl
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM
He was 5lb 5oz at birth and 1 week check was down to 5lb even. Wed at our 2 week check he was up to 5lb 9oz.
He nurses about every 2 1/2 to 3 hours and I let him nurse until he stops or falls asleep. I normally only nurse on one side per feeding because if I do both I have OAL. If he seems hungry soon after I go ahead and offer the other side.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Quoting Nicolle_09:

Actually, in the first few weeks having at least 2 poopy diapers very 24 hrs is a very important indication that baby is getting enough.

The fact that you've had problems with latch, and baby is not pooping every day is a concern.

Was baby up to birth weight at 2 week check?

If baby is over 4 weeks and gaining well, THEN it is okay to not poop every day. Until then, 2 poops a day minimum!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 1:52 AM
Ummm not for a newborn!

Quoting Nicolle_09:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leapdaybaby
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 7:56 AM

my LO doc said after 4 weeks can go up to 10 days w/o soiled diaper. my LO went 8 days at most. There is no waste from BM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)