Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Did I make a mistake??

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:02 AM
  • 43 Replies

my LO turned 4m yesterday. Had his check up. Doc said give some single grain oatmeal at bed. I was so excited I did last night. Should I have waited longer? I mixed it w BM. He also nursed at that "meal"

by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ElizabethAnnNB
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this
I personally would have waited till 6-9 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krbooth
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:08 AM
My pedi gave me the go ahead to start my son on simple solids at 4 months, he's been doing oatmeal and rice, fruits, veggies and meat now at 7 months. I think it more depends on the kid. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leapdaybaby
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:11 AM

i started my period so doc said "well he doubled his birth weight, lets start oatmeal cereal. not rice because that can be constipating". i never thought about it hurting my supply. i was just so excited to give him a meal.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:16 AM
3 moms liked this
6 months is the minimum to start solids for a breastfed baby. Google virgin gut. Rice cereal and oatmeal are not needed and can cause issues with baby. Honestly, I'd hold off until atleast 6 months. I made the mistake of starting solids early with my dd and I regret it so bad, she wasn't ready and was put through unnecessary pain and discomfort. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leapdaybaby
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:20 AM

He didn't seem to have any pain. I didnt give him much. a Tbsp of cereal to 1oz of BM and he ate less than half of the mix. I am scared about my supply now after reading some posts.

PrinceMomma486
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:56 AM

With my first child I introduced cereal at 3 months...I personally thought it was too early, but it was my first child and my mom kinda 'coerced' me into doing that...but I feel that waiting until 6 months was way better...I waited that long with my other daughters and will wait until 6 months with this baby.

To each their own, but I think waiting is better.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:10 AM
3 moms liked this
It's not so much your supply that needs to be worried about, it's what that stuff does to a baby, especially one too young for solids. Starting solids before 6 months old is very outdated advice and goes against all the AAP and WHO recommendations. If too many solids are given, then yes your supply could suffer because it means that baby is nursing less. Solids before a year old are simply for practice, why the rush? Look into "baby led solids", much better and healthier for baby. If he can pick up food himself, he's ready for solids.

Quoting Leapdaybaby:

He didn't seem to have any pain. I didnt give him much. a Tbsp of cereal to 1oz of BM and he ate less than half of the mix. I am scared about my supply now after reading some posts.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:23 AM
6 moms liked this

Sorry but doc is wrong, not following the current AAP guidelines:

American Academy of Pediatrics. Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk: SECTION ON BREASTFEEDING Pediatrics; originally published online February 27, 2012; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2011-3552 

“The AAP reaffirms its recommendation of exclusive breastfeeding for about 6 months, followed by continued breastfeeding as complementary foods are introduced, with continuation of breastfeeding for 1 year or longer as mutually desired by mother and infant.” 

Lots of reasons to wait until 6 months, including decreased risk of illness: “When compared with infants who exclusively breastfed for longer than 6 months, those exclusively breastfed for 4 to 6 months had a four- fold increase in the risk of pneumonia.” 

Any iron fortified cereal can constipate, and it inhibits to absorption of iron from breastmilk and increases the risk of iron deficient anemia.

From https://breastfeedingusa.org/content/article/good-foods-babies

“Why do so many babies start with cereal?”

Cereal may be traditional, but it is not necessarily one of the best first foods. Iron-fortified rice cereal has been suggested as a first food in the past because of the belief that it was “hypoallergenic” and was a good source of iron. A review of research by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) finds those reasons to be invalid. 1 Newer thinking suggests beginning with foods that are naturally nutrient-rich. For example, meat is naturally rich in iron and zinc. In any case, breastfed babies usually get all the iron they need from their mother's milk up until at least six months of age. 2 If your doctor is concerned about iron levels, a simple blood test can be done right in the office.

References:
1. American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Nutrition. Pediatric News, November 2009: “Rice Cereal Can Wait, Let Then Eat Meat First: AAP committee has changes in mind”

2. Raj, S et al. “A prospective study of iron status in exclusively breastfed term infants up to 6 months of age”, International Breastfeeding Journal, 2007.

annaica
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Wow. This doc should learn more... 4 months is way too early! I would stop and just breastfeed only for a few weeks to heal the gut.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:53 AM
Ive had different docs at 2 different pediatric practices start pushing solids at 4 months. They also urged weaning before a year. I'm so surprised how many drs go against AAP recomendation of 6 months for solids. My drs are never thrilled when I go back at 6 months and tell them I haven't done solids. They are also less than thrilled at 15 months when I tell them I don't give the babies cow milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN