Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Ahh! Stupid period isnt coming! (VENT) CD74 and counting...

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 5:48 PM
  • 11 Replies
So I had my son Sept 8th. First period came in late Dec, then Feb(33 days), March(38days), and last April 18th(45days.) I have taken 3 pregnancy tests(CD51, 58, and today CD74.) I have had some nausea off and on and frequent urination. I know that periods can be weird while nursing but when do you start being concerned? What if there is another cause?

*I don't have insurance but I can go to a pregnancy center free. I just worry something else is wrong.*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jun. 30, 2012 at 5:53 PM
May be dumb question, but have you tried different brands of tests?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jun. 30, 2012 at 5:54 PM
I had a cycle hit 50 days but usually I have the opposite problem: my cycles are 19-24 days right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jun. 30, 2012 at 5:57 PM
From emedicine.net:

A third type of amenorrhea called lactational amenorrhea occurs during breastfeeding. Although some women use breastfeeding as a natural contraceptive, it is only effective for the first six months of exclusive breastfeeding. This means no bottles, or supplements –- breastfeeding only. This type of contraception may not be a good idea for many women since ovulation occurs approximately two weeks before menstruation. So you will not realize you have ovulated if you have not had any periods postpartum.

The most common reason women miss their periods is pregnancy. However, there are several other reasons your period might be late. Hormonal disorders such as polycystic ovary syndrome or PCOS can cause amenorrhea, as can hormone-based contraceptives such as oral, injectable, and patch contraceptives, as well as certain types of IUDs.

Other causes of amenorrhea, or late periods, include uterine or cervical infections, and certain chronic diseases and conditions such as lupus, and diabetes. Rarely, tumors of the pituitary gland or problems with the adrenal gland cause amenorrhea.

Do you have a lot of stress or anxiety in your life? If you're under stress or experience anxiety often, you may also experience late periods, or true amenorrhea.

Another area to consider, if you’ve missed your period, is your diet and fitness routine. Girls and women who exercise excessively sometimes don’t menstruate. Amenorrhea is common among women who participate in track and other sports that require intense physical training. Also, if you’ve been trying to lose weight by excessively restricting your calorie intake you can develop amenorrhea. Amenorrhea is common in anorexia nervosa, an eating disorder that causes girls and women who have the disorder to perceive themselves as fat, so they refuse to eat, often until, serious physical consequences occur.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 6:01 PM
I used the 88¢ walmart tests (supposedly can detect hcg at 10) then a dollar tree Assured brand test(hcg of 25.) I am thinking about ordering extra sensitive test strips but I feel like its a waste.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jun. 30, 2012 at 6:06 PM
My favorite tests are those cheap strip tests, like 25 for $10 through amazon. Every rare once in a while we'll hear a story about a mom who takes months to test pos but it's unusual. Breastfeeding hormones can mess with you for sure, but you were cycling. No PCOS or diabetes history? Thyroid problems?

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

I used the 88¢ walmart tests (supposedly can detect hcg at 10) then a dollar tree Assured brand test(hcg of 25.) I am thinking about ordering extra sensitive test strips but I feel like its a waste.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 6:12 PM
I don't have PCOS, diabetes, or thyroid issues.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

My favorite tests are those cheap strip tests, like 25 for $10 through amazon. Every rare once in a while we'll hear a story about a mom who takes months to test pos but it's unusual. Breastfeeding hormones can mess with you for sure, but you were cycling. No PCOS or diabetes history? Thyroid problems?

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 30, 2012 at 7:35 PM

I'd go to the pregnancy center then.

TTC2Long
by Gina on Jun. 30, 2012 at 7:39 PM
It took 6 months for my cycles to become of reasonable length and a full year for them to be regular.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jlynnevans
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Honestly I would say it is probably just your body acting weird due to breastfeeding.  it is not uncommon to get a period and then not get another one for 2 or more months. 

norahsmommy
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:43 PM
I'd go back and test again. Every time I got my period back when bfing it was back pretty regularly. Never skipped. Some women do not get positives on pee tests when pregnant. My mom didn't for months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)