Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Nutritional/weightloss supplements?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi, I am EBF my 3mo daughter. I lost all of the baby weight, but have since gained 10lbs, because my diet isn't all that great. I dont eat a lot at all, but BFing makes me soooo hungry, I CRAVE very fatty foods, so when I do eat its full of carbs.

I tried switching to veggies to snack on but the amount it takes so satisfy my hunger is too much quantity wise. I take prenatal vitamins everday to aide nutrition.

So is there a nutitional supplement okayy to take while BFing I could buy? Something to make me feel full, or maybe even feel full AND provide nutrients??

proprolife.gif picture by piink-lem0nade

Happily married Mama to one angelbaby, a son born 10-19-10, and a daughter born 3-20-12

by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 6:48 AM
Replies (11-13):
littleacorn
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 2:19 PM
Sounds to me like you need more fiber to fill you up. You can get it through diet or supplements, although diet would be the more effective choice. It takes a LOT of fiber pills to do the job of food!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I am a firm believer in listening to your cravings and adapting your diet.  Cravings are usually either emotional or physiological and the physiological cravings are your body trying to tell you there is something missing from your diet (general "you" :-).

Making milk is hard work.  To maintain weight while nursing, most women need to eat about 500 calories a day above their baseline.  So if you normally maintain your weight at 1500 calories/day, you need to eat about 2000 to maintain your weight while nursing.  If you don't eat enough calories to meet your needs and make milk, your body will often start to gain weight, in order to make sure that the energy to make milk is always available.  So if you lost weight early and then gained some back, my thought would be that you're not eating enough calories.

I would eat fats.  Dietary fat has a surprisingly small impact on body fat.  Sugar and processed carbs have more to do with body fat than dietary fat does.  Instead of carb/fat junk food, I would try things like carrot sticks with peanut butter, an apple with an ounce of cheese, and so on.  You'll get the immediate energy that a carbohydrate craving is cueing you for, and you'll get fats and proteins that will help you feel full and give you longer lasting sources of energy.

You can go for supplement bars and drinks if you want but really, they're nothing more than junk food with a fancy label and expensive price tag.

catholicmamamia
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 3:47 PM

You have already received good advice, so just adding - Good Luck! 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  to make friends and share advice on breastfeeding,      
   babywearing, bedsharing, gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)