Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

need some help,guidence,reasurance please

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:02 AM
  • 7 Replies
I have 2 kids one is 4 who I breastfeed till she was about 5 months old.didn't seem to have a problem but went back to work and started to stop pumping and producing as much. I now have a newborn just about 10 weeks whom I'm also breast feeding,but my plate seems to be fuller and I have more to do so sitting down to feed all the time is harder.and she's a lil muncher :) so I have been pumping also so her daddy can help out a lil and feed her at times.I just recently got an infection n3xt to my breast(not sure from what they say like and infected hair folical,or a boil)so the problem is it hurts when feeding cause of baby moving hands by it and I'm trying to keep covered so she doesn't touch it.so I'm pumping to feed her but not seeming to keep up. She has taken the boob a little but she's kinda into bottles now.which I knew was a chance.what do I do? Do I start on some formula also? Feel like a bad mom if I take her off my milk but I don't know if I'm producing enought to keep her full.I get maybe 4oztotal when I pump.please please help moms.
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't feel like a bad mom unless you completely stop feeding your child altogether :-P

Stop pumping, stop giving bottles, and nurse your baby on demand! Will it piss her off? Absolutely! Will she refuse to nurse so long she starves? Heck no! Yes nursing is time consuming, but this stage of life doesn't last long and a younger child doesn't deserve breastmilk any less because they weren't born first. If your hubby can help by bottle feeding, he can do anything and everything while you nurse. Making you pump and do everything while he bottle feeds actually isn't helpful at all.

If you do continue bottle feeding, you need to be pumping while he's giving the bottle to maintain your supply.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mirauder
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 6:30 AM
Hang in there you are doing a great job and I agree with Larissa. 4oz pumping is a high amount the mom is .5-2 oz. per session. What have you tired to clear up the boil or sore that you have? How is the diaper count? I've pumped and nursed at the same time maybe you could pump on the affected side while nursing on the other. Good luck. I had to supplement for a little while but, weaned off of it. It made me feel bad but, in the long run my DD was fine. Stress can cause dips in supply and I think that's what happened to me. Keep your head up and you are giving her the best:)
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:46 AM
This!!

Quoting larissalarie:

Don't feel like a bad mom unless you completely stop feeding your child altogether :-P

Stop pumping, stop giving bottles, and nurse your baby on demand! Will it piss her off? Absolutely! Will she refuse to nurse so long she starves? Heck no! Yes nursing is time consuming, but this stage of life doesn't last long and a younger child doesn't deserve breastmilk any less because they weren't born first. If your hubby can help by bottle feeding, he can do anything and everything while you nurse. Making you pump and do everything while he bottle feeds actually isn't helpful at all.

If you do continue bottle feeding, you need to be pumping while he's giving the bottle to maintain your supply.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:53 AM

yes, absolultely!

Also, having baby in a wrap or sling and learning to nurse in one of those is sooo helpful! My baby's lived in them for almost the first year! lol I have 3 kids, all around 2 yrs apart. It was a challenged, but my life saver was the sling because baby could nurse as often and as long as he wanted while was hands free to tend to the older kids.

Quoting larissalarie:

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 4, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Yep larissa got it :)

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 4, 2012 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting asb29:

I have 2 kids one is 4 who I breastfeed till she was about 5 months old.didn't seem to have a problem but went back to work and started to stop pumping and producing as much.
OK. That happened. Forget it.
I now have a newborn just about 10 weeks whom I'm also breast feeding,but my plate seems to be fuller and I have more to do so sitting down to feed all the time is harder.and she's a lil muncher :)
Do you have a sling? You need one... or you need to return a kid. I understand DHL now offers that service... **grin**
A sling lets baby nurse at will so you can do the things you need to do (like feed yourself) and the things you think you need to do but can wait (like mopping the floor).
so I have been pumping also so her daddy can help out a lil and feed her at times.
Daddy is supposed to mop the floor. And do the laundry. And all that other stuff that doesn't involve baby on the breast.
I just recently got an infection n3xt to my breast(not sure from what they say like and infected hair folical,or a boil)so the problem is it hurts when feeding cause of baby moving hands by it and I'm trying to keep covered so she doesn't touch it.so I'm pumping to feed her but not seeming to keep up. She has taken the boob a little but she's kinda into bottles now.which I knew was a chance.what do I do? Do I start on some formula also? Feel like a bad mom if I take her off my milk but I don't know if I'm producing enought to keep her full.I get maybe 4oztotal when I pump.please please help moms.

Four ounces total! GOOD GOD, WOMAN! That's overachieving, you know. Two ounces is normal max output.

You'll need to treat the infection... check about some antibiotic ointment or something, and put a bandaid over it so baby doesn't wiope some off and then suck it off her hand.

Put baby to breast. Be unworried when she gets pissy about it. Happy babies are not the goal.. HEALTHY babies are. Happy is a bonus. (Have you ever seen a toddler who's HAPPY to eat broccoli? Yet you won't let him skip it, will you?)

You're doing better than you know. And the ONLY bad mom is the one who beats her baby.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 4, 2012 at 2:49 PM
I agree with everyone else! A sling or wrap will allow the baby to nurse as much as she wants and you can do things with/for the older child. I LOVED my mei tai carrier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)