Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Arrrghh....I'd rather go through childbirth again

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok, so we've gotten to 4 wks of nursing, after the many, MANY hurdles. Our latch is coming along ok. Not perfect, but getting there. Now we've got a new problem. After a week of taking meds for what we thought was mastitis & its not going away, that was ruled out & I've got a yeast infection in my breasts. Wish it was mastitis because that probably would have been easier to treat with some pills & probably not as painful. It feels like my boobies are sitting over an open flame after I nurse. The pain has gotten to the point that I'm no longer cursing but crying, which is sad. I tried to describe it to DH & the best analogy I came up with is being branded with a hot iron on the chest then bring stabbed with a bunch of tiny knives. Yeah I'd rather go through natural childbirth again because at least that ended. I'm now having to apply antifungal cream which I really don't like because I have to make sure there's no remnants before she feeds. And I'm sitting in the sun with my boobies exposed because I read sunlight's good too. How fun.....okay vent over.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:56 PM
Replies (21-30):
KadynsMommy806
by Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 2:23 PM
Garlic is a great anti fungal/yeast. Eat raw garlic and you can crush up garlic in olive oil and rub it on the nips.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soulofsunmama
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this
HA!!I had that exact image too!!

Quoting melindabelcher:

Lolz! :)

Mental image of mom topless laying out in the sun and the babys head open and back like a little bird.

Quoting AugustMidge:

I have actually heard sunlight is the BEST cure! I am sorry this is happening to you. (((HUGS))) or maybe no hug cause that might be painful to. Um... AIR HUGS! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abigail824
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 3:34 PM

We are fighting Thrush right now too!  Got nystatin for dd and the dr said to put hers on me.  Hers seem to have cleard up but it didn't for me.  So then they gave me Nystatin cream on Tuesday.  Still hasn't cleared up for me.  She didn't want to give me diflucan because of breastfeeding?  I'm boiling everything after using- bottles, pump parts etc...I may try the other stuff you all mentioned for me.  It hurts SO bad.  It is like knives stabbing me in the boobs.  My nipples burn, and the shooting pains in my boobs take my breath away...

bellamalach
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Have you tried coconut oil?  It works great for thrush and is totally natural (:

flowersmama
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 6:05 PM

poor mama! i have heard breast milk can also help relieve skin irritation. maybe try rubbing some expressed milk while nursing baby & see if you notice a difference. i know it took the burning out of my sun burn & out of a burn i got from cooking the other day. i have also used it on mild diaper rash and it cleared that up

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 6, 2012 at 7:08 PM
You can take diflucan while nursing! Give the other remedies a chance, but of they don't work, go back to the doctor and ask for the diflucan.

Quoting abigail824:

We are fighting Thrush right now too!  Got nystatin for dd and the dr said to put hers on me.  Hers seem to have cleard up but it didn't for me.  So then they gave me Nystatin cream on Tuesday.  Still hasn't cleared up for me.  She didn't want to give me diflucan because of breastfeeding?  I'm boiling everything after using- bottles, pump parts etc...I may try the other stuff you all mentioned for me.  It hurts SO bad.  It is like knives stabbing me in the boobs.  My nipples burn, and the shooting pains in my boobs take my breath away...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Is your baby being treated, too?  Otherwise, you may be passing the yeast back and forth.

KelleyLitty
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 9:41 PM
So sorry! I feel your pain, literally. I am fighting yeast for the second time since I started nursing my daughter. I am so fed up with the "yeast fighting routine". I might give the GV a try. I am using the cream you gave to wipe off before every feeding as well. What a pain! Are you wiping your nipples with a vinegar wash? I feel like it helps with the nipple pain a lot. The mixture I was told to use is 1 oz vinegar to 8 oz water. Just rinse after every feed before you apply the cream. I would love to know what you think about the GV if you use it. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
puggylove10
by Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 1:09 AM
Sorry you're going through this too...& for the second time at that!! This sh*t sucks!! Yup I have a bowl of vinegar & water next to my sink. I've tried the GV. Beware its very messy & stains. I covered my nipple with it & dd looked like a clown...her entire mouth was purple, lol. It took about a day to fade away. I took the Diflucan on Tuesday & the pain still doesn't ebb. Don't know how long it takes to work. And all the home remedies aren't easing it either. Now I seriously think its deeper in the tissue because that's what it feels like when it starts to burn. Wonder if my ducts are infected. If no easing by Sunday, I'm going back. Good luck to you too

Quoting KelleyLitty:

So sorry! I feel your pain, literally. I am fighting yeast for the second time since I started nursing my daughter. I am so fed up with the "yeast fighting routine". I might give the GV a try. I am using the cream you gave to wipe off before every feeding as well. What a pain! Are you wiping your nipples with a vinegar wash? I feel like it helps with the nipple pain a lot. The mixture I was told to use is 1 oz vinegar to 8 oz water. Just rinse after every feed before you apply the cream. I would love to know what you think about the GV if you use it. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blg5484
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 1:56 AM

GV works and GSE is good too

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN