Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Overactive letdown, high and low supply and wanting to pump

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:16 PM
  • 11 Replies

I have over active letdown but have pretty much figured that out. I either use a nipple shield or wait until letdown and squeeze off into a towel. I tried leaning back and it just doesn't work very well for us. I almost always have o.ld regardless of my supply. Speaking of supply... It is still all over the place. My son is almost 11 weeks and is almost ebf. Just last week I was engorged and then tonight I had to supplement. Shouldn't it be leveled off by now?my husband has been helping me feed our son at night but has to use formula since I don't have any bm stored. I want to start pumping so he can give that but am scared to pumP on a regular bases for fear of getting engorged again. What can I do tO help my supply level off?
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newbabystarr09
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM

The only thing that helped my OAL/over supply was to do 12 hour block feeding I had to do it for about a week...Is your supply low in the afternoon? If so it is normal that's when the baby is getting the fat from your milk

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Jessicaann2001
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Yes it is lower in the afternoon/evening
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this
One if the reasons why your supply is all over the place is because sometimes he is getting bottles of formula at night. Unless you are pumping every time baby gets a bottle, your body is not getting to consistent feed back it needs to get your supply regulated.

The key is to breastfeed exclusively. That means no supplements!

If someone gives him a bottle, you need to pump at that time as well so your body knows baby needs a feeding at that time. If you want to pump some and have ome milk stored that is fine, but you still need to pump when baby gets the bottle. You can pump once a day, first thing in the morning and it won't mess up your supply (it will just become part of your daily routine). Nurse on one side and pump the other first thing in the morning. Then nurse as usual the other 24 hrs.

Why did you think you needed to supplement tonight?
sreichelt26
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 12:00 AM
The problem is the supplements. If he's having enough diapers, he doesn't need them. And pumping more than once first thing in the morning can cause oversupply, which perpetuates the letdown problem. Doesn't sound like you have a supply problem at all.

For the letdown, let him nurse until your letdown starts, pop him off and squeeze some into a towel, and then put him back on. Nipple shields are for damaged nipples. You don't need those either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 7, 2012 at 2:06 AM
This and what maggiemom2000 said.

Quoting sreichelt26:

The problem is the supplements. If he's having enough diapers, he doesn't need them. And pumping more than once first thing in the morning can cause oversupply, which perpetuates the letdown problem. Doesn't sound like you have a supply problem at all.

For the letdown, let him nurse until your letdown starts, pop him off and squeeze some into a towel, and then put him back on. Nipple shields are for damaged nipples. You don't need those either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Babyblueyes24
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 2:12 AM

I have an over active let down to and I still soak my bra on my right side and my son is 7 months. But I pumped and nursed constantly and It regulated as far as being engourged. Took me a little while but I dont get engouraged anymore. But still have an over active let down.

Jessicaann2001
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 8:02 AM
I nursed him on both sides and they felt empty. After nursing on the last side he became very frustrated and started crying. He would unlatch crying and then relatch for a few seconds.I burped him, helped him find the nipple,took him off, anything I could think of and nothing worked. When dh gave him a bottle he ate another ounce and a half.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

One if the reasons why your supply is all over the place is because sometimes he is getting bottles of formula at night. Unless you are pumping every time baby gets a bottle, your body is not getting to consistent feed back it needs to get your supply regulated.

If someone gives him a bottle, you need to pump at that time as well so your body knows baby needs a feeding at that time. If you want to pump some and have ome milk stored that is fine, but you still need to pump when baby gets the bottle. You can pump once a day, first thing in the morning and it won't mess up your supply (it will just become part of your daily routine). Nurse on one side and pump the other first thing in the morning. Then nurse as usual the other 24 hrs.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 7, 2012 at 8:46 AM
Your breasts always have milk, the bottles are making baby expect faster and easier flow so when the oal eases up he is fussing. Floppy boobs are working boobs. Those bottles are causing the issues you are seeing...supplimenting like you have been helps no one but formula companies.

Quoting Jessicaann2001:

I nursed him on both sides and they felt empty. After nursing on the last side he became very frustrated and started crying. He would unlatch crying and then relatch for a few seconds.I burped him, helped him find the nipple,took him off, anything I could think of and nothing worked. When dh gave him a bottle he ate another ounce and a half.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Quoting Jessicaann2001:

Quoting maggiemom2000:

You just need to stick it out when that happens. Keep offering the breast again and hold and comfort him. If you give the bottle at that point it interferes with your milk production.

EBF is the key to a stable milk supply.

TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Jul. 7, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Maggiemom and tabi-cat have hit the nail on the head :) he's going to be pissy at first, but it's ok!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN