Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

BF after birth

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:10 PM
  • 16 Replies

What was your experience of BF your lil one after you gave birth?  Did you have a natural birth/c section/epidural/meds?  Was it difficult?

With my first I had a very fast delivery (5hrs).  I had a shot of pain meds when I got to the hospital, but that was it.  Then I got to BF just about immediately.

Now, I'm due any day with lil brother!  I'm very nervous this time around, and I find that odd.  He is HUGE.  I'm nervous I'm going to rip/tear or have to have a c-section.  And then with all the stitching/patching up I'm scared I'm not going to be able to BF immediately.  It is in my birthing plan for NO pacies and NO formula/bottles, but I know that doesn't stop them some times. Is there anything I should do or prep for?

Thank you for your help!!!!  

by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cpflum08
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Your body builds baby's that your body can deliver!! Also the only way to know how big baby is, is after the baby is born. Ultrasounds can be off by up to 2-3 lbs! Try and relax and trust your body. Your will be just fine:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rHOPEb
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Thank you!!!  We actually haven't had an US since around 5mos to find out the gender.  But if I'm laying down and you press around it is ALL baby!!!  hahahaha.  He is definitely (or at least feels like it) larger than his sister.  :)  Very much ready to meet the lil man and hold him.............

Quoting cpflum08:

Your body builds baby's that your body can deliver!! Also the only way to know how big baby is, is after the baby is born. Ultrasounds can be off by up to 2-3 lbs! Try and relax and trust your body. Your will be just fine:)

ceckyl
by Kyla on Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this
The breast feeding group is very helpful. Make sure baby rooms in Witb you and isn't alone with nurses and they won't have a chance to sneak any formula.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Kyla on Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:18 PM
Oh so true! My ultrasound 3 days before i delivered said my dd would be close to 11 pounds! She was 8.

Quoting cpflum08:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rHOPEb
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Where I'm delivering they do NOT have a nursery room, so all babies stay in the room with the mom.  :)  I need to make sure hubby stays firm just in case.  He was the one who went around with our daughter when she was born.  Thank you for the reminder!

Quoting ceckyl:

The breast feeding group is very helpful. Make sure baby rooms in Witb you and isn't alone with nurses and they won't have a chance to sneak any formula.

pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:21 PM
I had pitocin and an epidural. I held him on my stomach skin to skin for a few minutes until SO cut his cord, then they weighed him and gave him back. I couldnt get him to latch. I couldnt get into a good position and i struggled a lot.
They took him to the nursery (I said NO bottles) and they tried to give him a bottle and paci and would have been successful had SO not stayed in the nursery with DS.
When he came back I had to call the nurse to get him to latch and wake him up. I had a really hard time and when the LC came in she hardly helped:(
However for me bfing is the only option so I work through it and ds is 3 months old today and he is ebf and I wont be stopping for a couple years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjimaging
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:40 PM
I went all natural with the last one. He was 9 lbs 6 oz and he had a hard time latching at first. The LC gave me a nipple shield and then we were golden. Ha to use that for four months when he weaned off the shield. He's about to turn three and still nursing. He's very attached.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annaica
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 3:27 PM
Vaginal births. Breastfeeding was awkward at first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
07lilmama1108
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 3:29 PM
With ds i had a VBAC and they layed him on me the moment he was born. I helped clean him, they waited to cut his cord (a common procedure at that hospital) and then i nursed him. It was AMAZING!!!!! I had an epi but i was only in the hospital for 3 hours before he was born!
Comoared to my dd, it was an amazing birth! Dd was full breech so ended up emergency C and i never attempted bf. I spent the first 3 hours away from her and almost died from overdose of meds (I'm a very tiny sensitive person).
Your body can deliver the baby! The days before birth are scary because of anticipation of pain but you can do it! Congrats!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JasonsMom2007
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 3:31 PM
Mine too! They said 11 lbs and he was 6 lbs 15 oz!
He was an emergency c section and I was able to nurse him in recovery. The hardest part was figuring out how to nurse for the first time while laying flat on my back! And the pushy nurse who declared he would never get it didn't help either. Once she left for a bottle I got him to nurse myself.

Quoting ceckyl:

Oh so true! My ultrasound 3 days before i delivered said my dd would be close to 11 pounds! She was 8.

Quoting cpflum08:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN