Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What was your experience of BF your lil one after you gave birth?  Did you have a natural birth/c section/epidural/meds?  Was it difficult?

With my first I had a very fast delivery (5hrs).  I had a shot of pain meds when I got to the hospital, but that was it.  Then I got to BF just about immediately.

Now, I'm due any day with lil brother!  I'm very nervous this time around, and I find that odd.  He is HUGE.  I'm nervous I'm going to rip/tear or have to have a c-section.  And then with all the stitching/patching up I'm scared I'm not going to be able to BF immediately.  It is in my birthing plan for NO pacies and NO formula/bottles, but I know that doesn't stop them some times. Is there anything I should do or prep for?

Thank you for your help!!!!  

by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:10 PM
Replies (11-16):
svolkov
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I was told my first was 6lbs he was 8lbs lol I was really worried about this too but I put a big note on her cradle that said breastmilk only!

Quoting ceckyl:

Oh so true! My ultrasound 3 days before i delivered said my dd would be close to 11 pounds! She was 8.

Quoting cpflum08:

Your body builds baby's that your body can deliver!! Also the only way to know how big baby is, is after the baby is born. Ultrasounds can be off by up to 2-3 lbs! Try and relax and trust your body. Your will be just fine:)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
clintam
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a c-section with dd #2 I have 4 kids but couldn't nurse her for 2 hours after I had c-section and they didn't give her any formula and I nursed as soon as I got out of recovery.. Make sure hubby is firm and he never leaves babies side! You should be good... And good luck

Quoting rHOPEb:

Where I'm delivering they do NOT have a nursery room, so all babies stay in the room with the mom.  :)  I need to make sure hubby stays firm just in case.  He was the one who went around with our daughter when she was born.  Thank you for the reminder!

Quoting ceckyl:

The breast feeding group is very helpful. Make sure baby rooms in Witb you and isn't alone with nurses and they won't have a chance to sneak any formula.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I had  a completely drug free labor - just an IV and external monitoring because I showed signs of pre-e at the very end (like last 3 days of pregnancy).

made it to the end and was pushing when she got impossibly stuck and had an emergency c-section with general anesthesia - didn't even wake up until 2 hours later. dd was with dh for that time and wasn't given anything. about 20 minutes after I woke up (so about 2.5 hours after she'd been born), I put her to the breast and she latched right away. Didn't have any problems, and we're still nursing at 14+ months.

Koux
by Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 3:39 PM
I had a vaginal natural birth, and was able to breastfeed right away. She was placed on me immediately, I held her for a few minutes while the placenta was delivered. I gave her to the nurses for about 5 minutes for vitamin K shot, weighing, and Apgar scores and they gave her right back. I did tear a little, and she was actually breastfeeding while I was being stitched up. Didn't make a difference. My suggestion is to be clear with your nurses BEFORE you're in hard labor (that means your labor nurse AND baby's nurse). Then you can make sure they understand what you want. They should be accommodating, most hospitals will be thrilled you want to start breastfeeding so soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ilovecandy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 3:42 PM

with my first she wound up a c-section. i pushed for over 3 hours and well....she was NOT coming out. So c-sec she was. I had a shitty shitty hospital. because they couldnt numb me i had to be put out with the c-section. so i was out for a few hours after 'giving birth' so what did they do? regardless of me saying i wanted to BF? give formula. everytime she cried someone gave her formula. everytime i tried to feed her .....i remember i had this asshole nurse and she came in and said i need to check your weight. i was feeding DD (bf) and i asked her if it could wait and she said well..i need to do it now. so.....just pop her off and do your weight. it was a huge mess.....needless to say i failed with DD and BF.

DS was a VBAC and i put him on the breast pretty soon after he was born. and he was a champ with it and i was better informed and.....well it went over 5000 times better then it did with DD

MonicaAnne
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a c section with all 3. My first i nursed him when he was 30 mins old only lasted 2 months I was young and nervous he wasn't eating enough. With my dd I nursed her til 7 months but had a few problems in the beginning. With DS he is 3 1/2 weeks old and I nursed him 1 hour after he was born. All my kids latched on right away. Our hospital is pro BFing they don't even out formula in the drawer of the baby bed unless you ask for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)