Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Water? So confused!

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:43 PM
  • 26 Replies
One day last week, I didn't have enough milk pumped for my day at work. We didn't have any formula or money to buy it, so I told DH to water down her bottles just a tad bit so she would make it until I got home. I seriously couldn't think of anything else to do. And it was just a tiny bit, like less than an ounce per three ounce bottle was water. So he told me when I got home that she did great with that. He told me just a few minutes ago that he had been trying an experiment based on that since then. He's been putting a tiny bit of water in one bottle each day since then, and he says she seems happier and spits up less after that bottle in comparison to the others. How bad is this and why? She's still doing fine with dipes and nursing wonderfully. Is it possible that my milk is too rich for her? She's almost four months, btw.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brandy85412
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:52 PM

mmm interesting.. Idk

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:56 PM
2 moms liked this
That's very dangerous to do to a baby under 6 months old. :(
You'd be surprised how little water it takes to cause water intoxication, which can be deadly.
How long are you gone for? And how much are you leaving? Baby only needs 1-1.25oz per hour you're away, in bottles no larger than 3oz.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silka08
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:38 PM
This..maybe baby was overfed?

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

That's very dangerous to do to a baby under 6 months old. :(

You'd be surprised how little water it takes to cause water intoxication, which can be deadly.

How long are you gone for? And how much are you leaving? Baby only needs 1-1.25oz per hour you're away, in bottles no larger than 3oz.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JamieLyn822
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:48 PM
2 moms liked this
That's not a good idea for many reasons. In addition to the potential for water intoxication, its also filling her up with nothing when she needs to be getting nutrients from every drop at that age. Water shouldn't be given until the baby is on solids. Your milk cannot be too rich, its perfect for your baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Quoting silka08: This.. maybe baby was overfed?
Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma: That's very dangerous to do to a baby under 6 months old. :(  You'd be surprised how little water it takes to cause water intoxication, which can be deadly. How long are you gone for? And how much are you leaving? Baby only needs 1-1.25oz per hour you're away, in bottles no larger than 3oz.

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  to make friends and share advice on breastfeeding,      
   babywearing, bedsharing, gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

MommaGreenhalge
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 6:05 AM
I'm usually gone for 8 hours, but I don't always feed her right before I leave because she's usually asleep (not the case on this day, I woke her up to make sure she ate). She usually takes about 10-12 oz while I'm gone, so 1.25-1.5oz. And he never puts more than 3oz in a bottle. I did make the connection that she's been waking up at night since he's been doing this, which she wasn't doing before. So if for no other reason...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 10, 2012 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Ok tell him no more water, its called water intoxication....meaning death. His little science experiments are causing malnourishment, electrolyte inbalances, and eventually seizures and death...yes only a few ounces a day can do this!

Your bm is over 75% water!

Nurse before you leave tell hubby to give three two oz bottles and nurse when you get home. Baby will be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Baby should be getting 8-10 oz bottles. So thats part of the problem. I'd also look at possibly making them smaller. My little ones prefered 2oz bottles every 2 hours cause thats similar to their eating pattern while i'm around.

MommaGreenhalge
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:48 AM
If she's been asleep for a long time before I leave, she needs more than that, doesn't she? He feeds her on demand just like I do, and it's never more than 3oz.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Baby should be getting 8-10 oz bottles. So thats part of the problem. I'd also look at possibly making them smaller. My little ones prefered 2oz bottles every 2 hours cause thats similar to their eating pattern while i'm around.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryLu86
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Quoting JamieLyn822:

That's not a good idea for many reasons. In addition to the potential for water intoxication, its also filling her up with nothing when she needs to be getting nutrients from every drop at that age. Water shouldn't be given until the baby is on solids. Your milk cannot be too rich, its perfect for your baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN