Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
Last night my ds had such bad gas and was in so much pain. My aunt who's staying with me for a little while since I just got out of the hospital yesterday and there's no one here during the day to help me is a nurse and she asked me if I knew about how much milk he was getting so I decided to try and pump and see. Well come to find out I'm not even producing half an ounce on either side... And I've been nursing him since he was born... So She thinks from me not producing he was nursing really hard and swallowing air and hurt his stomach would make a lot of sense as to why he was so fussy and nursed really hard... So after almost an hour of burping he calmed down a lot and we mixed him a formula bottle and he drank that so fast like he was starving which i bet he was. So after I burped him he passed out and slept most of the night. I feel horrible about not being able I bf him, this entire experience from the beginning of the pregnancy to his birth nothing went as planned and I was so hoping that at least this would but that's my luck... But at least I know that my ds is getting his nutrience and has a full belly and not starving...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:06 AM
Replies (21-30):
lovinmyboys...
by Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this
It sounds like you are just looking for a good excuse to quit bfing so you won't feel guilty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Pump output means nothing. Plenty of women exclusively breastfeed giant healthy babies and can't pump a drop. It's a machine, we aren't meant to respond to machines.
And yeah, if you give a baby a bottle they have to choke it down or they'll drown. It's not like nursing where they control the flow, with a bottle it just falls down their throat and they have to suck it down fast to survive it. Of course he passed out after the bottle! He just got his stomach stuffed with hard to digest formula, he had to pass out so his body can try to deal with that.

I'm guessing your baby is a newborn, newborn's are frequently gassy & fussy. They have brand new digestive systems that they've never had to use before and they are figuring out life outside the womb. It's normal and has nothing to do with your supply.

Did your Aunt successfully breastfeed any children to a year? I'm going to guess not and suggest you don't take anymore breastfeeding advice from her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:40 AM
3 moms liked this
If you want to be successful you take advice from someone who has been successful you wouldnt take tutoring for college from a flunkie would you? Bfing advice from a lactation consultant or sucessful nursers like the moms here. At your babies age his tummy should be about an ounce in size, two ounces a feed is overfeeding....yes i know baby took it and dint spit up, its easy to stretch a newborns stomach.

If you want to not bf then stop, dont make excuses, dont tell people oh i tried but i didnt make enough becuase its not true, that is spreading misinformation just like your aunt. If you want to bf then do it.

No formula doesnt give all the things baby needs...to survive maybe but not fully thrive. There are over 100the ingredients in breastmilk that formula doesnt have. Plus human growth hormones. Read up on formula...you are obviously smart, the risks are high, side effects are awful. Be educated!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I couldn't ever produce with a pump either and I've successfully nursed all of my babes.  Pump output=bad indicator of supply.  2 oz. is way too much formula too for a 4 day old newbie.  They have teeny tiny stomachs, only about the size of a marble.  Giving that much formula stretches it out and is super uncomfortable for him.  Kick the formula and bottles to the curb if you truly want to nurse him.  My mom and grandmother both said they "couldn't" nurse either, but that's a bunch of hooey.  Our society as a whole is grossly undereducated in how nursing works and with the convienience of formula, moms give up too easily.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:48 AM
3 moms liked this
Oh mama you were given one of the worst breastfeeding advice ever! Please listen to what everyone else is saying!! Stop bottles and nurse! Diapers are the ONLY indication of supply. Toss the formula and tell your Aunt that you appreciate her concern and kindly ignore any further breastfeeding advice from her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gruntlings
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:23 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

It sounds like you are just looking for a good excuse to quit bfing so you won't feel guilty.

I read her post as her being upset because she's been confronted with a VERY common myth that sounds like good advice.

If she wanted to quit, she'd quit.

Guilt comes from doing something that you know is not best, for false reasons. So if she is looking to "not feel guilty" she would quit becasue she WANTS TO which is an excuse that no one can argue with. If she's looking to quit without feeling guilty, quitting for a myth would be the worst way to go about doing that.

If she wants to stop breastfeeding she should do so for a valid reason. "I don't want to breastfeed" is a perfectly valid reason that shows an emotional honesty that I respect.

liltrippymom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:30 PM
also throw out the formula.

Quoting sktrowb:

Tell your aunt to keep nursing advice to herself! How old is baby? If you just got out of the hospital I'm gonna guess only a few days. Has baby pooped out the black tar stuff? Nurse when baby demands. Every time all the time. You milk may not have come in yet. If you want to breast feed stick with it a few more days. There is a light at the end on the tunnel. Baby could have had a belly ache from any number of things. Remember he is new and has never done the eating/ pooping thing before. It's a journey you will both go through together
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmyboys...
by Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM
She is quitting.
I think she wants to have a reason besides "I did not want to" to give to people. That is where the guilt comes in.

Quoting Gruntlings:

Quoting lovinmyboys...:

I read her post as her being upset because she's been confronted with a VERY common myth that sounds like good advice.

If she wanted to quit, she'd quit.

Guilt comes from doing something that you know is not best, for false reasons. So if she is looking to "not feel guilty" she would quit becasue she WANTS TO which is an excuse that no one can argue with. If she's looking to quit without feeling guilty, quitting for a myth would be the worst way to go about doing that.

If she wants to stop breastfeeding she should do so for a valid reason. "I don't want to breastfeed" is a perfectly valid reason that shows an emotional honesty that I respect.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Four and a half years ago, someone casually mentioned that they used this technique for their baby, I was nursing my oldest at the time.  I thought it was a lot easier than keeping a journal of inputs and outputs like some moms do so I started keeping a stack, and have been doing so for three babies now.  It's so simple and yet completely foolproof:  If six diapers (at least, mine are all over achievers) are used, baby is doing fine.

Quoting Gruntlings:

Quoting rosebud60002002:

4 days old, and he had a 2 ounce. Bottle last night around 11 and a 2 ounce bottle this morning around 630

At four days old you want to see four wet or poopy diapers per 24 hours. So if you wake up at 7AM, stack four diapers. If they're gone the next day by 7AM you're doing perfectly well.

Day 5, stack 5 diapers.

Day 6, stack 6 diapers.

Every day after that stack 6 diapers. If the diapers are gone, your supply is fine. If there are other issues it is NOT your supply it is something else. (baby not satisfied, baby not gaining weight, etc. Doesn't matter- if the diaper count is fine it is NOT supply it is something else. Always.)

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN