Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Menstruation during lactation... maybe tmi (PIOG)

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:41 AM
  • 6 Replies

Ok, so ive been bfing my dd for 14 months now, on demand, and about 2-3 times a night (normally, sometimes more at night). No period since her birth, but about 5 days ago, i started having heavy vaginal discharge that was clear, then became a little milky looking, then back to clear and sometimes it was pretty thick. Not like a yeast infection (not curds and no other symptoms of yeast in me or dd), but it was like i was ovulating, but im not sure. it was pretty easy to tell something was going on since im bfing- that makes me pretty dry vaginally so i havent had this much discharge since her birth. also, my nipples are very tender when she nurses. it makes me kind of dread nursing, but not so much that i limit her.  ive also been having some cramping in my abdomen that pretty noticable. Im not bending over in pain or anything, but it definitiely makes me stop what im doing and think, "hmm, im cramping." im thinking that im about to start my period again. anybody got any info for me about this? what should i expect? ive google this, but i cant really find anything about it! my dd is my only child, so this is the first time im going through this. sorry if i seem clueless, but i am! haha! i would greatly appreciate your input! What was your first period during lactation like?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
native.mommy
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this
My first period with my first daughter was pretty normal. Bleeding was a little lighter and cramps weren't near as bad, but everything else was the same. Of course my first period post delivery was when she was around 2 or 3 months, like after postnatal bleeding stopped, I'd never missed a period. I would discuss with your gyn, jus to make sure everything is normal.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 10, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Sounds like ovulation, or at least your body is trying to ovulate (hormone levels don't always get high enough on the first try), which means that your period may be just around the corner.  When AF does arrive, your supply may dip a little bit, but it will recover within a few days.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:05 PM

We look at poop pictures here. NOT TMI. (THat's strictly reserved for bank info and phone numbers in this group.)

Yep, you have a visitor on the way. It will be diffferent for every woman. What I've noticed to be most consistent: It will be oppiste whatever you had pre-childbirth.

Carry on with nursing as usual. You change NOTHING.

sarah4gandh
by Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:09 PM

haha! That is true! Ive seen poop pics in this group! :) Thanks for the info!

Quoting gdiamante:

We look at poop pictures here. NOT TMI. (THat's strictly reserved for bank info and phone numbers in this group.)

Yep, you have a visitor on the way. It will be diffferent for every woman. What I've noticed to be most consistent: It will be oppiste whatever you had pre-childbirth.

Carry on with nursing as usual. You change NOTHING.

sarah4gandh
by Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM

yea, it is ovulation! I couldnt take the suspense so i took an ovulation test. and im ovulating! its so weird to think that im fertile after 14 months of no fertitlity! the body is so mysterious and always fascinates me! so i gues ill get my period within the next couple weeks?

Quoting K8wizzo:

Sounds like ovulation, or at least your body is trying to ovulate (hormone levels don't always get high enough on the first try), which means that your period may be just around the corner.  When AF does arrive, your supply may dip a little bit, but it will recover within a few days.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:06 PM

should be about 14 days :)  My cycle also returned at 14 months pp.

Quoting sarah4gandh:

yea, it is ovulation! I couldnt take the suspense so i took an ovulation test. and im ovulating! its so weird to think that im fertile after 14 months of no fertitlity! the body is so mysterious and always fascinates me! so i gues ill get my period within the next couple weeks?

Quoting K8wizzo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN