Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Had my second baby yesterday. Anyone had this happen with nursing?

Posted by   + Show Post
I had my baby girl yesterday and so happy to be nursing again. I'm leaking colostrum like crazy! Is this normal? Like running down my shirt leaking! My dd isn't nursing as much and my lactation nurse said she's probably getting more colostrum than a first time mom would be producing and she's getting fuller faster and and staying full longer. My regular nurses are telling me I may need to supplement because she's going up to 4 hours inbetween feedings. Anyone had this happen. I'm not cool with supplementing unless I absolutely have to!!
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 3:40 PM
Replies (11-20):
Koux
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this
The lactation consultant at my hospital told me formula supplementation is really something that should come from the pediatrician, NOT the nurses. It's not their job. They're there to help an advise, but they can't tell you what to do. They ultimately have to follow what the doc says. So, if baby is pooping and peeing and seems happy, feel free to ignore them! All you can do is keep offering the breast and not worry about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Jul. 11, 2012 at 4:50 PM

No but I'd at least offer every 2 hrs...and ignore the stupid nurses

annaica
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 5:22 PM
Wow. those nurses have NO IDEA what they're talking about... absolutely no need to supplement :) just keep nursing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jul. 11, 2012 at 5:25 PM

those nurses are crazy. You absolutely should not suppliment. If you are worried at all (diapers not not good etc) just nurse more often.

Rissycakes
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 7:37 PM
Listen to the lactation nurse and feed her when hungry. Supplementing is silly unless your child isn't thriving and from your post it sounds like she is doing great! Keep up the good work and remember to follow your instincts and not all the nurses chatter.
GremlinMom
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:19 PM
Same here. The nurses say that because they have to document that the baby ate every 3 hrs or they get in trouble. I refused, sorry ladies, but my baby slept for a long time and ate when he wanted. At 5 weeks he is super chunky, cooing, looking at objects far away and kicking. He did fine.

Quoting Clh1989:

My daughter was eating every 4-6 hours as a newborn in the hospital and I would try to feed her more often but she wouldn't even eat! She was fine. I would offer often so baby has the chance to nurse but not stress too much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
staciababy
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to be a newborn nurse, and you don't need to supplement. In fact, what I would suggest since you seems to have a lot of colostrum is to express some and store it in case you want to do finger feeding. And the real reasson for that is that the first few days feeding frequency can have a direct impact on how much you supply later on. It sounds like a small chance in your case, but may be worth a try. You don't need to give that little sweetie any formula. That's ridicuous, why if you have a large supply would you ever give a baby formula? That sounds like the nurses tryign to make life easier for them. Good luck Momma, you're doing great!

lazycervix
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:56 PM

baby doesn't have to poop 2 times a day the baby is 2 days old it is only required to have 2 dipes today period, 3 the 3rd day of life, 4 the 4th, 5 the 5th, 6 the 6th after that 6-8 dipes a day. :) 

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Count dipes. If baby is pooping at least 2 times a day, then you are fine. If not, no need to supplement, just encourage her to nurse more frequently!

aprilrose4
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 9:27 PM
If the nurses really push the supplements try waking your LO up by direct skin to skin contact. Strip her down to her diaper and try to see if she will feed more frequently. If its only for a few minutes it counts and that should get the nurses off your back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Allebas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Ya-- I know!! They are crazy!!!!! My DD started to lose too much weight right after she was born. The Pediatrician told me if she didn't gain within 4 days, she would need to supplement!!! I did NOT want her having any formula at all!! When I took her back 4 days later, she had gained 9 OUNCES in 4 days! The Pediatrician was shocked and said I did NOT need to supplement. My DD has never tasted formula and I am SO GLAD about that!!!!

Quoting silka08:

Your leaking too much and theyre suggesting supplement? Crazy nurses ;-) ignore them and keep nursing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN