Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Will I be able to wean DS in time for my newborn to breastfeed?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM
  • 31 Replies
I have been trying to wean my now two year old lately. I started stopping morning feedings, it was going well but then he got sick and I just fed him when he wanted to, which was more often than normal. I am trying again and started today. I am just worried that I won't be able to soon enough. I am pregnant and she is due in October, although we are preparing more on September since each of my children have been born a month early. I have been in pain a lot lately feeding my son, that sometimes I just feel like stopping automatically. I'm worried that I won't even want to breastfeed my baby, and if I do, will I be able to wean my son in time and will my milk be good enough and will the amount be enough for my baby? Also, I know the first milk is best for baby, will I even get that? I'm sorry if I went on about it. I'm just worried and feel stressed about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 4:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 4:26 PM

you can nurse them both, no need to wean before your son is ready to wean. your baby will still get the colostrum and you will make enough for them both

littleacorn
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 4:27 PM
Why not tandem nurse? I did after both my last LOs were born and it was a wonderful experience for all of us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Salz
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 4:27 PM

You can nurse them both if you want to. Here's a bunch of information if you are interested.

http://kellymom.com/category/pregnancy/bf-preg/

http://kellymom.com/category/ages/tandem/

Flaca43
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 4:32 PM
Really?? Oh that makes me feel better! Thank you.

Quoting Nicolle_09:

you can nurse them both, no need to wean before your son is ready to wean. your baby will still get the colostrum and you will make enough for them both

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this

many moms tandem nurse their children. 

Quoting Flaca43:

Really?? Oh that makes me feel better! Thank you.

Quoting Nicolle_09:

svolkov
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I weaned my son at 27mo when I was 7mo pregnant. Yes u can tandem I just felt he was plenty old enough and I ddnt want to nurse them both. But he was only nursing once a day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I weaned dd at 23 months when I was 5 months along. My aversions were terrible! And I was very uncomfortable and got crazy almost violent feelings while nursing. My milk had dried up a month prior and I just aimed at only nursing before nap and bedtime, then I aimed at decreasing nursing time by a few minutes each week. I got down to 2 mins per side, then I told her she was a big girl, she could ride a bike, eat ice cream, go pee on the potty, etc, and nursies were just for little babies. She only asked for it a couple of times in the next few days and was just fine snuggling me to sleep.

But, if you want to tandem nurse, go for it! I knew it wasn't something I wanted to do, and I just could not work past all the hormonal feelings and nursing aversions I was having. They were terrible.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 4:58 PM

There is no need to wean for the sake of the new baby. You will still make colostrum for the new baby. You will also feel much better and want to nurse the new one :-)

More info for you from kellymom.com:

Will I produce colostrum?

Yes. The changeover between mature milk and colostrum production begins, on average, between the 4th and 8th month of pregnancy, but some mothers start producing colostrum somewhat earlier than that. Many mothers who nurse through pregnancy have noted that their milk contains mostly colostrum during the last month before baby is born. You will continue to produce colostrum throughout the latter part of your pregnancy – your older nursling cannot “use it up.” 

Colostrum and stool changes in the older nursling

If your older nursling is getting a good quantity of colostrum (either before or after birth), the natural laxative effect of the colostrum may cause him/her to have looser and more frequent stools. The stools should return to normal once your colostrum is completely replaced with mature milk. 

Milk changes after birth

At birth, the sudden decrease in progesterone and estrogen levels (and resulting surge in prolactin levels) that occurs with the birth of the placenta causes colostrum production to kick into high gear and signals your milk to “come in.” Once your baby is born, the amount of time you produce colostrum is limited, since your mature milk will begin to come in within a few days.

See also: Does my newborn always need to nurse first? 

Will I have enough milk for two?

Both research and anecdotal evidence assure us that a mother breastfeeding two or more children (whether nursing siblings, twins, or more) has the capability to produce large amounts of milk (see Saint, Maggiore & Hartmann 1986). In one study a tandem nursing mother produced a double supply of milk for the entire 7 months that her older child nursed alongside the newborn (see Prosser 1984). As with any nursing relationship, factors like breast reduction surgery or adoption can affect the amount of milk produced, but the only supply concern generally reported by tandem nursing mothers is oversupply, rather than undersupply. See Got Milk? for more information on maintaining and increasing milk supply.

silka08
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this
You can certainly tandem nurse. However, if you choose not to same weaning rules apply. Drop one feed every few days.

If youre open to tandem nursing go for it. If you prefer to wean its a good idea to do so before you hsve the baby so you areny fighting toddler with not allowing nursing. I considered tandem but ultimatelt my almost 2yr old weaned when I reduced feeds and dried from doing so. When I delivered he asked to nurse but apparentky forhot latch, saif it didnr work and it was never an issue after.

Nyrsing a toddler and newbirn is very diff. Its common to find toddler nursing while preg slightly irritating. However, its alsi likely nursing your newbirn will produce a very diff feeling.

Good luck :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misstaylor85
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 5:46 PM
2 moms liked this

My mom nursed my sister and I (twins) then less then two years later nursed my brother so she had 3kids on the boob at once and we are fine happy and healthy and got plenty to eat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)