Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pumping after 1 year

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 5:01 AM
  • 10 Replies

I work full time & have been pumping at work since I returned when DD was 12 weeks old and still am doing so even though she is now nearing 16 months. She has always eaten solids very well & only takes one sippy cup of my milk while at daycare (although I pump more than that amount during the workday). I am interested in stopping pumping all together, and have not done so at 1 year as most moms do as I feel hesitant since I don't want to reduce my supply. I now only pump twice a day for the 10.5 hour stretch that we're apart & DD nurses ALL day on the weekends & frequently in the evenings/all night long (we co-sleep). I am afraid this will reduce my supply when she still has a strong desire to nurse a lot.

Has anyone else stopped pumping all together & not noticed a drop in supply? Again, she is eating solids perfectly fine, but I want to continue nursing as long as she wants & don't want to drastically reduce my supply. Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions!

by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 5:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 14, 2012 at 6:47 AM
Just drop one pumping session a week.
I stopped pumping at work when my daughter was 18 months. Shes still nursing at 32 months old!!!! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anitalynn7
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Thank you, I will try that. I guess I am just still afraid that my supply will drop too much, but I know she is almost 16 months now. I also get weird looks from people at work when they know I'm still pumping for a toddler haha

BrooklynsMom11
by Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 1:09 PM
I did this a few weeks ago. DD still nurses ALOT when we are together. I haven't noticed a supply drop. I just don't produce as much during work hours but have plenty for her when I get home. I did however start my period when I stopped pumping at work and that hurt my supply.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Just drop one pumping session a week.

I stopped pumping at work when my daughter was 18 months. Shes still nursing at 32 months old!!!! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anitalynn7
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Do you still feel that you then have enough on weekends for your little one, too? I am worried about that. I think I should just stop worrying about it all together, though, & do it & my body will regulate itself. I got my period back really early I feel for being a breastfeeding mom (DD was around 7 months old), so there's no worries about that showing up out of the blue haha. 

MissSarah04
by Sarah on Jul. 15, 2012 at 2:20 AM
Im wondering about this too. I have a while since DD is only 6 months but I pump 4 times a day on weekdays and hide the pump so I don't have to think about it on weekends! I think i'll drop the morning pump session in the car at a year. Drop my lunch pump session at 16 months. Then drop one break session at 18 months. Then eventually drop the last one. I hope to use my milk for all her milk intake until at least 18 months. Then maybe add in almond milk. Is this similar so what others have done??? I don't really know what I'm doing. I Just wing it. Haha.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anitalynn7
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 2:34 AM

I was hoping on pumping until 18 months at least once a day at work, but I am feeling the pressure (& I also would like to stop in a way) to stop. My DD was taking my milk for all her milk intake up until 2 weeks ago when I brought in almond milk to her daycare; they told me that she kept refusing all but her afternoon sippy cup & I took that as an opportunity to slow down the pumping at work. I also don't know what I am doing exactly (hence this post, haha!) but I guess that is how parenting goes sometimes-we just learn things along the way!

Quoting MissSarah04:

Im wondering about this too. I have a while since DD is only 6 months but I pump 4 times a day on weekdays and hide the pump so I don't have to think about it on weekends! I think i'll drop the morning pump session in the car at a year. Drop my lunch pump session at 16 months. Then drop one break session at 18 months. Then eventually drop the last one. I hope to use my milk for all her milk intake until at least 18 months. Then maybe add in almond milk. Is this similar so what others have done??? I don't really know what I'm doing. I Just wing it. Haha.

MissSarah04
by Sarah on Jul. 15, 2012 at 2:39 AM
Sounds like you have done great. I know many stop pumping at a year but continue to nurse until 2-3 years old so I do think your body adjusts and still makes plenty of milk on weekends.

Quoting anitalynn7:

I was hoping on pumping until 18 months at least once a day at work, but I am feeling the pressure (& I also would like to stop in a way) to stop. My DD was taking my milk for all her milk intake up until 2 weeks ago when I brought in almond milk to her daycare; they told me that she kept refusing all but her afternoon sippy cup & I took that as an opportunity to slow down the pumping at work. I also don't know what I am doing exactly (hence this post, haha!) but I guess that is how parenting goes sometimes-we just learn things along the way!

Quoting MissSarah04:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 15, 2012 at 11:37 AM
She is still nursing and putting in the demand! Your supply will be fine! It will decrease during the workday because you will be decreasing the demand at that time. Milk is made as it is removed, so when she wants to nurse, the milk will be there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 12:28 PM
I stopped entirely at a year, maybe 13mo. My son nursed for another 18mo. Your supply is so well established right now, there is little you could do to damage it. Your body will provide plenty when it is demanded :)

Quoting anitalynn7:

Do you still feel that you then have enough on weekends for your little one, too? I am worried about that. I think I should just stop worrying about it all together, though, & do it & my body will regulate itself. I got my period back really early I feel for being a breastfeeding mom (DD was around 7 months old), so there's no worries about that showing up out of the blue haha. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anitalynn7
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 11:37 PM

All right, I will drop the morning pump this week & the lunch pump next week. For some reason I still have mixed feelings about this, although I am ready to do so. Thanks everyone for your tips, it really helps!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)