Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A while ago I posted about how I just don't feel the negativity that some people feel towards breasfteeding. I talked about how where I live it is encouraged and everyone seems to know that its the best thing for the baby. 

Now my DS is almost 5 months and here is where the fun has begun. Thank you in advance for listening to my vent - but the last few days have been especially hard. My grandmother thinks I should be putting pablum in a bottle at night no matter what - even though my EBF baby sleeps for 8 hours through the night! People are pushing more and more for me to decide an end date to breastfeeding - dont even mention Im going to try for two years. All the sisters and cousins in the family are in their own little clique that I am excluded from because they all decided formula was way easier (exact words). I have felt like an outsider and a freak the last few weeks. 

Then we went on vacation to Europe to see my husbands family. I thought for sure Europeans are more old school they appreciate breasfeeding - sure they see it as a positive, but here now Im being judged like a terrible mother for not having started solids! SIL actually said "If he was MY kid I would stuff him with something solid" That is what he needs she says. I nice pasta soup, (not to mention we live a paleo lifestyle we will be starting him on meats)  banana, apples, fruit JUICE! . Everyone thinks he is too skinny - when truth be told all their children are acutally severely OVERweight. My boy is strong, healthy, happy, sleeps amazing, and eats enough. I dont understand the push to start solids. Leave me alone :( Ive done my research and I know this is best! I don't say anything to them about how they feed their kids nothing but sugar :S I feel just defeated right now :( because its every day all day defending myself. My husband says they are "jealous" because they didnt push themselves to breastfeed (apparently 90% of the population dries up after 3 months??) But I dont like to think like that and I am becoming exhausted even trying to tell myself to not let it bother me. 

by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 10:06 AM
Replies (21-23):
Crystal_S
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 9:50 AM

That is my amazing husband :) I am lucky to have his support and love - among other things :) 

This is where we are on vacation - in the mediterranean! 

Quoting Traceyssel:

Quoting Crystal_S:

a picture of my "too skinny" baby

How terribly unhappy he must be not getting solid food: 

WHOA, WHO'S THAT GUY?? ;)

lol jk

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 15, 2012 at 3:11 PM
This is great advice!

Quoting Gruntlings:

It might be time to try one of two approaches:

1- "This is what works for me, this is my child. Please stop offering me advice, we raise our kids very differently and I do not criticize your parenting."

2- Every time they offer advice, change the topic to something about them. Ask where they got their shoes, are they comfortable, how do they treat a hangnail, who cuts their hair, how do they manage to stay ahead with the laundry.. Generally people who give a lot of unsolicited advice just like to talk. Give them other/safer topics.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 15, 2012 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Your husband is HOT! :-)

Quoting Crystal_S:

That is my amazing husband :) I am lucky to have his support and love - among other things :) 

This is where we are on vacation - in the mediterranean! 

Quoting Traceyssel:

Quoting Crystal_S:

a picture of my "too skinny" baby

How terribly unhappy he must be not getting solid food: 

WHOA, WHO'S THAT GUY?? ;)

lol jk

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)