Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Weaning help!

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 2:16 AM
  • 18 Replies
I just recently stopped breast feeding my son. I haven't breastfed since Friday night but my breasts are soooo sore and full... Is there anything I can do or take to help make my milk dry up faster? I'm in a lot of pain and have to go back to work today so I need some relief pretty quickly!! Please help me! I have been using and ice pack and it helps while it's on but as soon as I take it off it's so painful
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 2:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 3:12 AM
Try cabbage leaves in your bra (change them often). Try a warm shower and let the water run down your breasts. You can hand express - but just till comfortable, as the more that you express, the more your body will make. Just express enough to take the edge off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lazycervix
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:52 AM

take the pill the real one it dries you up quickly.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 8:40 AM
How did you wean? Was it cold turkey?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 16, 2012 at 8:44 AM
More info needed how, why?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 16, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Are you dropping one feeding per week till gone? If not, you're gonna hurt. Standard painkillers. I'm afraid the only instant dry-up is estrogen. Get onto a full birth control pill TODAY, dry by Wendesday. You will hurt till then.

Weaning is done by dropping one feeding per week till gone. And you can breastfeed and work, if you thought otherwise. HUGE myth you must stay home... the most successful long termers I know all worked 40 hours and more per week. 

annhart19
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:38 PM
Pretty much cold turkey... He was only nursing at night and we decide it was time to stop... I am on mirena right now so there is no need for a birth control poll... I understand it's going to hurt for a little while I'm just trying to get a feel for how long I will take and if there is anything I can do to help speed the process up
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Go back tp nursing him and then wean more slowly.   Weaning should not be painful and if it is, you did it too quickly.   Right now you're risking infection for yourself.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Quoting annhart19:

Pretty much cold turkey... He was only nursing at night and we decide it was time to stop... I am on mirena right now so there is no need for a birth control poll... I understand it's going to hurt for a little while I'm just trying to get a feel for how long I will take and if there is anything I can do to help speed the process up

Go back to nursing. You weaned too quickly. With this kind of pain, you're already on your way to mastitis. It can take a couple of weeks for this to go away if you DON'T nurse at least once or twice, and it will still take a few weeks if you drop one feeding per week till gone.

Did you know that turkeys are pretty dumb birds? And thus we get "cold turkey" which isn't a great way to do anything. **grin**

By the way, if anyone tells you to bind your breasts, DON"T! Better to take a butcher knife and cut them off!

annhart19
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:24 PM
I can not go back to nursing... My son refuses the breast that's why I had to stop after weeks of frustratin trying to get him to latch but he just isn't interested

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting annhart19:

Go back to nursing. You weaned too quickly. With this kind of pain, you're already on your way to mastitis. It can take a couple of weeks for this to go away if you DON'T nurse at least once or twice, and it will still take a few weeks if you drop one feeding per week till gone.

Did you know that turkeys are pretty dumb birds? And thus we get "cold turkey" which isn't a great way to do anything. **grin**

By the way, if anyone tells you to bind your breasts, DON"T! Better to take a butcher knife and cut them off!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bittersweet.
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Maybe try keeping a tight sports bra on continuously. Ice packs to your breasts. Don't let the water hit your chest when you shower (without the bra!). Motrin for inflammation. Even if you don't have allergies...try taking sudafed to dry you up. Not sure if this will work or help...but it's worth a shot!

Good luck :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN