Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I feel like such a failure!!

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:27 AM
  • 43 Replies

I'm not supplying enough breastmilk for my baby boy. He's only 3 weeks old.

Last night was the first night I had to give him formula!! Ugh!!

I don't want that shit in my baby's system.

What can I do??

Are there certain foods to eat to increase my supply?

by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
levansbx
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:28 AM
What makes you think you're not supplying enough?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:45 AM
How many diapers is he having? (poop=2 more then 2oz urine =2)
3 weeks is a growth spurt. They eat and eat and eat. I have an oversupply and my daughter was eating about every hr!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:48 AM
Diaper count is all that matters mama! What made you determine he wasn't getting enough?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vinalex0581
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:49 AM

because i breast pump and i use to pump about a total of 4 to 7 ounces within 4 hours.

now i'm only pumping 3 ounces within 5 hours!

so now it takes longer for my breasts to fill than they use to.

Quoting levansbx:

What makes you think you're not supplying enough?

vinalex0581
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:51 AM

because i breast pump and i use to pump about a total of 4 to 7 ounces within 4 hours.

plus when i do breastfeed, he's not satisfied all the way. that's why i pump because he can get more in one sitting with a bottle than from my breasts because my breasts do little droplets at a time. he then starts to get frustrated and then starts crying for more.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Diaper count is all that matters mama! What made you determine he wasn't getting enough?

vinalex0581
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:52 AM

man, i wish i was having an oversupply

Quoting melindabelcher:

3 weeks is a growth spurt. They eat and eat and eat. I have an oversupply and my daughter was eating about every hr!!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Quoting vinalex0581:

Are you exclusively pumping? If so, every TWO hours, around the clock. And that's a long-term, quite possibly PERMANENT commitment. Expect half an ounce to two ounces.

Oh, no no no no! Breasts don't fill. EVER! They make milk when you demand it. The less you demand, the less they make. The MORE you demand the MORE you make and the EMPTIER they feel the better off you are.

The only failure here is that you didn't get yourself educate about pumping. Your supply is still there. It's taking a hit that's easily fixed. On the pump, EVERY two hours. WITHOUT FAIL. Do this and you need do nothing else. EVER TWO HOURS.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Pump output will decrease over time... esspecially if demand goes down.   Pumping every 4-5 hours is not enough for EPing... you need to be pumping every 2-3 hours, or more often if you're trying to increase supply. 

The milk often comes out faster with a bottle, but that doens't mean he can't get everything he needs at the breast... faster doesn't always equal better.   At this point he's developing a flow preference from getting bottles.  My advice would be to ditch the bottles and work on getting him nursing full time again... then you don't have to worry about supply issues at all and you can know that you will always produce enough milk for him.   That's a WHOLE lot harder to do with a pump.

Quoting vinalex0581:

plus when i do breastfeed, he's not satisfied all the way. that's why i pump because he can get more in one sitting with a bottle than from my breasts because my breasts do little droplets at a time. he then starts to get frustrated and then starts crying for more.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:58 AM

It sounds like you were/are... 5-7 oz for a pump session is a ridiculously high amount!

Quoting vinalex0581:

man, i wish i was having an oversupply

Quoting melindabelcher:

melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Drop the pump put it away.
Put baby to breast on demand. It's, growth spurt time if he acted content your milk wouldn't customize for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN