Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Women should cover up when breastfeeding because young children may not know what that is.

Posted by   + Show Post

That is what the regional manager for a Denny's resturaunt said in response to a story where a mom was asked to either cover up or leave a Missouri Denny's resturaunt. 

SMH

SEDALIA, Mo. - 

A 24-year-old mother said she is considering doing something about the way she said she was treated while trying to nurse her baby at a Missouri restaurant.

Tiffany Morgan said she went to the Denny's in Sedalia Wednesday to have lunch with her family. She said when she tried to breastfeed her 6-month-old daughter, the manager told her to stop, even though there had been no complaints.

"They told me I either had to cover up or stop," Morgan said. "I said, 'Well, I don't have a cover with me, and I'm not going to stop feeding her."

She said her husband and 2 ½ year old son were also having lunch with her. They decided to walk out of the restaurant.

"I cried when we got outside," Morgan said. "I was embarrassed. I felt like I had been attacked."

She said it was especially troubling because when she entered the restaurant, she told employees what she planned to do.

"I mentioned to the waitress when we walked in that I was going to be feeding her. She asked if I needed a high chair. I said, 'No. I breastfeed and I'll be feeding her breast milk," and she said, 'Oh. OK,'" Morgan said.

She said she also pulled out a card that referred to Missouri's breastfeeding statute that allows a mother to breastfeed with as much discretion as possible in any public or private location.

"I wasn't being indecent," she said. "I wasn't trying to flash anybody, by no means. I was just trying to give my daughter what she needed."

Morgan said she might even return to the Denny's restaurant with other moms for a protest, calling it a nurse-in.

"It's a way for breastfeeding moms to stand up and say, 'You know, we have rights too,'" Morgan said. "Basically, you get a bunch of breastfeeding moms together and you go there and you nurse."

Morgan said she has spoken to a lawyer and is weighing her options. She said it's not just an issue for her, but one that affects the lives of many families.

A Denny's regional manager issued a response late Thursday. It said, 'We have women breastfeeding in our restaurants most every day, including the Sedalia restaurant. Our policy is that we would hope women could be as discreet as possible because we are family restaurant and often have young kids who may not understand what breastfeeding is. We want to try to accommodate everyone."

by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Replies (31-40):
Tea4Tas
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:32 PM
16 moms liked this

Quoting mama-smurf:

Well, she wasn't covered up in a public setting. Some parents don't want their kids to see it. So, I kinda agree with the dennys guy BUT he should have given her a blanket or something.

Let's say I am an old fashioned racist. And I don't like seeing mixed race couples, and I don't want my white kid to think that it's acceptable to marry outside of your race.

WOULD it be acceptable for me to go to the Mixed race couple at the next table and tell them to stop holding hands where my kids can see, and to move apart?

Before you say the comparision isn't the same -well it is. A few scant decades ago it WAS illegal in some states for mixed couples to marry-and them holding hands WAS something that would be stopped.

Fact is this. People have rights. That mixed couple has the right to NOT be bothered by bigots. And a woman has the right to breastfeed her baby.  If you don't want your kids to see, you tell them to  not look. You don't ask other people to give up their rights because YOU DON'T like it.

Greenstone920
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, here's the rub: No matter how anybody "feels" about it, the majority of states have laws protecting the rights of breastfeeding mothers in these situations.  

Quoting mama-smurf:

Not everyone feels the same way.

Quoting Ireallydontcare:

Quoting mama-smurf:

Well, she wasn't covered up in a public setting. Some parents don't want their kids to see it. So, I kinda agree with the dennys guy BUT he should have given her a blanket or something.

My concern is MY child and his right to eat. Some people don't want their children to see what???? A baby eating? Yeah how disgusting. eye rollingWhen we are told to hide or cover, we are telling the breastfeeding mom and the world that breastfeeding is wrong. It is not. If close-minded parents don't want to see it, that is their problem. It isn't mine.

TexasWife
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Some people never learn. I was always in awe of my husband. When his family wouldn't open their minds, he was constantly sticking up for me. This time he is sticking up for me about my diaper choice. Crazy right. With our first it was our marriage he had to stick up for. With our second it was breastfeeding and how long we breastfed. With this one it is our diaper choice. :/

louzannalady
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:34 PM
3 moms liked this
I would not have left. In fact, I would return with a legion of breast feeding women to that store regularly for "nurse-ins" to make sure it becomes the norm at that location! Oh, and I pray she takes legal action!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Greenstone920
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I did wonder that myself.  I never announce to anyone that I'm going to feed the baby, I just do it.  

Quoting hriabywx4:

Can I play Devil's advocate and ask why she had to say anything at all to the waiting staff? We eat out fairly often and sometimes get at high hair sometimes we don't, but I have never specifically told the waiter/waitress that I was going to BF. if LO wants to nurse I just nurse. Not saying what she did was wrong, it's just not what I typically do. I don't feel that she should have been asked to leave or cover.

louzannalady
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:38 PM
OH and that statement is further BS. No one complained about what she was doing, so she obviously was not brazen. (Even if she was, the law protects her from this crap!)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liz132
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Points down to booby baby... What do you think this is? A child! A child eating. Everyone understands what eating is. It is understood by babies in their first hours of life. It's a restaurant everyone around is eating, it is a place specifically designed for eating, the whole purpose of going to Denny's is to eat! ( Okay rant over)

My6Rock
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I would be devastated that my husband walked out instead of sticking up for me! Sad.

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Lol ithat scenario doesn't really work. I have left a restaurant because one city (small village) is racist and I had no problem with it and left

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting mama-smurf:

Let's say I am an old fashioned racist. And I don't like seeing mixed race couples, and I don't want my white kid to think that it's acceptable to marry outside of your race.

WOULD it be acceptable for me to go to the Mixed race couple at the next table and tell them to stop holding hands where my kids can see, and to move apart?

Before you say the comparision isn't the same -well it is. A few scant decades ago it WAS illegal in some states for mixed couples to marry-and them holding hands WAS something that would be stopped.

Fact is this. People have rights. That mixed couple has the right to NOT be bothered by bigots. And a woman has the right to breastfeed her baby.  If you don't want your kids to see, you tell them to  not look. You don't ask other people to give up their rights because YOU DON'T like it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
devoesgirl
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:45 PM
4 moms liked this
I find most children are more accepting of bfing than most adults so whats the problem?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN