Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

HELP ME PLEASE!!

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:12 PM
  • 14 Replies

my daughter just had her 18 day old weigh in, and has not gained anything. At her one week appointment, she had only gained 2.5 ounces and she has lost a half ounce since then!! she is only 7.7 ounces and almost  3 weeks old. ( her birth weight was 7lb 14oz). I dont know what to do. I am EBF,and she is eating on demand, every 1-3 hours, and is very content and happy. 

Anyone have any tips other than formula???

by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:22 PM
1 mom liked this

OK, first can you list her weights from birth to now?  Every single weigh in please.

Is she falling asleep at the breast?  One method you can take is called "block feeding."  Instead of switching between breasts, have her nurse an entire session on the right, then the next session all on the left.  This helps her reach the hindmilk, which is fattier.  You can look up block feeding (and most the other information I'll give you) here:
www.kellymom.com

Another approach would be to have a few days set aside for JUST YOU TWO.  Spend the entire day with as much skin on skin contact as you can.  Relax in bed, and keep her at your breast.  She'll probably fall asleep, nuzzle up and suckle a minute, then let go, and repeat.  This helps regulate your supply, if that is an issue, but also helps you destress and bond.  Stress can lower supply, so trust your body that things will regulate!

I'd also suggest calling in a lactation consultant.  They can check her for more in-depth problems, such as ties, weak suck, inverted nipples, etc.  A lactation consultant could also help you with the option of pumping milk and feeding her with a dropper or syringe to help her get more.

DO NOT give formula now!  Formula will hurt your supply, which will make this all worse.

Some things to consider:
She should be weighed at about the same time each time they weigh her.  Natural fluctuations throughout a day can throw that all off.
She should only be weighed after you get in a FULL nursing session!  Try to get to the clinic early and encourage her to nurse until she falls asleep or loses all interest.
If she has been sick or jaundiced, a slower weight gain or even weight loss is normal.

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:25 PM
How are diapers? What are the exact weights? All the same scales or different?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slupinski
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:39 PM

she was born at 7lb 14oz. one week weigh in was 7lb 4oz,    4 days later the ped wanted to weigh her again--7lb. 5 oz. Her weight at the weigh in a week ago was 7lb. 7.5 oz.   Today her weight was 7lb 7oz......

the ped is doing nothing but pushing formula, and its driving me crazy. :'(.   B/c now my fiance is starting to want to do that b/c we are starting to worry. 

Diapers, she is having 6-9 wet diapers/ day. Poop is every few days, and finally started the mustard texture about 5 days ago. 

the scales are 2 diff ones, but they are both the same kind-- digital infant scale. One is at the ped office, and the other is the visiting nurse. 

She is extremely content, sleeping normally....

I am taking Fenugreek- 4/5 - 610mg to assist with supply. Drinking mothers milk tea. 

Just recenly found out about oatmeal and barley...so im going to be starting that tomorrow. 

Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

IGNORE THE VISITING SCALE!!!!!!! those get bumped around and thrown off, not to be relied on. only pay attention to weight on the same non moving scale. FIND A NEW PEDI, you need one that is supportive of bfing not one that could careless. 

The good thing is that the diaper count is perfect and that she IS gaining and thats all you need to know. Just nurse nurse nurse. More nursing is best for supply cause more demand more supply. I wouldnt take anything for supply till you truely have a supply issue. 

Oh and google 'look at the baby not the scale'

Quoting slupinski:

she was born at 7lb 14oz. one week weigh in was 7lb 4oz,    4 days later the ped wanted to weigh her again--7lb. 5 oz. Her weight at the weigh in a week ago was 7lb. 7.5 oz.   Today her weight was 7lb 7oz......

the ped is doing nothing but pushing formula, and its driving me crazy. :'(.   B/c now my fiance is starting to want to do that b/c we are starting to worry. 

Diapers, she is having 6-9 wet diapers/ day. Poop is every few days, and finally started the mustard texture about 5 days ago. 

the scales are 2 diff ones, but they are both the same kind-- digital infant scale. One is at the ped office, and the other is the visiting nurse. 

I am taking Fenugreek- 4/5 - 610mg to assist with supply. Drinking mothers milk tea. 

Just recenly found out about oatmeal and barley...so im going to be starting that tomorrow. 

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I was thinking the same thing! I remember with my first it had looked like he lost 1 whole pound in 2 days! It turned out that it was the scale!

Quoting Nicolle_09:

IGNORE THE VISITING SCALE!!!!!!! those get bumped around and thrown off, not to be relied on. only pay attention to weight on the same non moving scale. FIND A NEW PEDI, you need one that is supportive of bfing not one that could careless. 

The good thing is that the diaper count is perfect and that she IS gaining and thats all you need to know. Just nurse nurse nurse. More nursing is best for supply cause more demand more supply. I wouldnt take anything for supply till you truely have a supply issue. 

Oh and google 'look at the baby not the scale'

Quoting slupinski:

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
slupinski
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Both scales are matching...that is the only reason why....

My supply started getting better once I was taking the fenugreek b/c initially it was taking forever to come in, and she was not getting enough. 

I will google that. thank you. <3

slupinski
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:50 PM

my only actual concern is that she isnt filling out....and I know the weight gain is important for brain develpment....I dont want to make her development delay if she isnt getting enough fat. :-/

K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm concerned about the poop.  Newborns should be pooping at least twice per day (quarter-sized or larger).  Any less than that is a signal that they aren't getting enough milk.

Tell me about your nursing management--on demand?  one side until she comes off and then offering the other side?  how often is she eating?

Has she been checked for tongue tie? lip tie? high palate?

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting K8wizzo:

I'm concerned about the poop.  Newborns should be pooping at least twice per day (quarter-sized or larger).  Any less than that is a signal that they aren't getting enough milk.

Tell me about your nursing management--on demand?  one side until she comes off and then offering the other side?  how often is she eating?

Has she been checked for tongue tie? lip tie? high palate?

this! The pooping every few days is a HUGE red flag that baby is not getting enough milk.

As you are working to figure out why she is not gettimg enough milk, it is important that you begin pumping in addition to breastfeeding and supplementing with your pumped milk. Pump several times a day. You'll know it is enough whe she is having at LEAST 2-4 poops a day.

The pumping is important for 2 reasons: First, baby needs the milk; second, you need to bring in a full milk supply and baby is not doing it for you.

Mommy2BJ
by Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 8:10 PM

This sounds a lot like Gregory last year. He was pooping every day, and had soaked diapers, which equalled more than the required amount of wet diapers, but had a problem with his frenulum and a high palat which was the cause of the problem. We got through the traumatic story, but he ended up with a tube in his poor little nose from 5 weeks of age for about 6 weeks, which was a real nightmare for me to deal with and his skin was stripped off with the tape they used to keep the tube in place. He was also hospitalized for nearly a week. It was a horrible experience, and I feel they (some) were blaming me for his situation. I wish we could have used more of my milk, but I was pumping every second I had time & could hardly see straight. I wish I could have block nursed more, but he was latched on what seemed like all the time. His high palat was clearly the cause of the problem. Today he is a happy (most of the time) 11 month old (tomorrow). He is crawling everywhere and cruises around furniture. He is much better. Weight-wise, he is still just a slight bit smaller than they would like him to be, but he is doing fine. Our current Pediatrician also is more tollerant of BF'ing moms and is generally happy with his progress. The one we had when he was a newborn was obviously not tollerant of BF'ing moms and babies & knew nothing of how they differ from FF'ing.

Wishing you and your LO more success & weight gain to avoid getting a tube put in. 

Lilypie - (Sskr)

Lilypie - (Uloy)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)