Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Early baby?

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:47 AM
  • 19 Replies
I go tomorrow for a nst and growth scan, last week they said if her fluids were Lowe and no growth then we would talk about an early csection.

My question is, will they let me try and offer her a boob before they try a bottle if she doesn't need a feeding tube? I'm 35 weeks.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm tired and nervous for tomorrow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ilovecandy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:49 AM

I dont think they would if you want to BF. DS was born at 36w6d and they were actually ready for NICU (i suppose they gave them a heads up, i went into labor on my own but because of how far along i was, they had them on a heads up) and they were not needed. DS was born 8lbs 1oz and he went to the breast immediately and did just fine. So im assuming if your baby is well enough, there should be no issues with BFing

ilovecandy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:49 AM

oh and good luck!

lilahsmommie
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Make out clear that you don't want the baby to be given a binky or formula or a bottle of any kind before you go in for the csection, as they are prepping you. You canI print little signs to put in your room and in the bassinet with baby.
Why are you having a csection? Is it necessary? Just curious because this can delay the first feeding and skin to skin time. Request that they put baby on your chest immediately for skin to skin time. The first few minutes after birth are said to be crucial in the bonding of mother and child. I believe this to be true.
Insist that you see and hold baby asap.
There is not a reason that a baby that far along couldn't breast feed unless it had an unforseen medical condition.
good luck! Hopefully they decide to keep baby "cooking" a little bit longer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rose87
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:44 AM
1 mom liked this
This.
My dd was born @ 35w and I bf'd.
Don't take no for an answer

Quoting lilahsmommie:

Make out clear that you don't want the baby to be given a binky or formula or a bottle of any kind before you go in for the csection, as they are prepping you. You canI print little signs to put in your room and in the bassinet with baby.
Why are you having a csection? Is it necessary? Just curious because this can delay the first feeding and skin to skin time. Request that they put baby on your chest immediately for skin to skin time. The first few minutes after birth are said to be crucial in the bonding of mother and child. I believe this to be true.
There is not a reason that a baby that far along couldn't breast feed unless it had an unforseen medical condition.
good luck! Hopefully they decide to keep baby cooking"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilahsmommie
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:48 AM
1 mom liked this
My dd was born just over 4lbs (induced 3 days before my estimated due date for medical reasons)
There really is no reason that the baby would not be able to directly nurse. This is your baby, you call the shots!

Quoting Rose87:

This.

My dd was born @ 35w and I bf'd.

Don't take no for an answer

Quoting lilahsmommie:

good luck! Hopefully they decide to keep baby cooking"

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3babiesofmyown
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:54 AM
Let them know what you want. But my 1st was 6 weeks early. She didn't have the sucking reflex so they hadto teach her with a pacifier. I wasn't big on that but she was only 3lbs. We didn't have room to struggle with breastfeeding. I eventually was by successful in breastfeeding her but I didn't work with a lactation consultant and I was young (19). Everyone was too accepting of her going to formula. Thi is just my experience and a slight possibility. But if you really wanna breastfeed don't give up as easy as I did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jasminejunebug
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

DS (now 7 weeks old) was born at 36 weeks 2 days. When I went in they asked how I intended to feed. I told them I was breast feeding. I never heard anything else related to formula. He was jaundice and I did pump to get a little bit in him that we fed with a syringe because he wouldn't stay awake to eat. 

If she needs a feeding tube ask them for a pump and start pumping. My hospital has the hospital pumps that they can let you use while you are in the hospital and even if he has a feeding tube you can supply some/most/all of what goes in it. This will also help get/keep your supply in while he has the feeding tube in and then as soon as possible you can get him to breast which is much easier/convenient than pumping. 

Good luck.

Nosilla0804
by Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Both of mine were born at 35 weeks and I nursed during recovery.

Robbiesmommy99
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I had dd at 35 weeks due to pre e almost 12 weeks ago via c section and I was able to nurse her right away.  The nurses were under orders to not give her any bottles since she was perfectly healthy and luckily didn't need to go to the nicu or anything.

Mom24munchkins
by Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:53 AM
Ds1 was 34 weeks 5 days and nursed like a champ. I flat told them that he was to get no paci, no sugar water, no formula via bottle. He had a bit of trouble breathing and was given a bit of formula in addition to bfing his first day. After that he was good to go. Voice your desires and be FIRM. Its your baby. Your the one giving birth, and your the one who lives with it years later. Not drs or nurses. I regret not researching more with my first and not trusting my body and my baby to do what they were made to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)