Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Not a good check-up

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:23 PM
  • 21 Replies

I work 20 plus hours on average per week outside of home and I've been breast feeding for 6 and a half months. At my son's 6 month check up today, the doctor said he isn't gaining enough weight and I don't know what to do. I feed him when he's hungry, what more can I do? Stick a funnel in his mouth?

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceckyl
by Kyla on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:24 PM
What's his weight history?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by Jen on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:24 PM
Weight history?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Queen_Sheila
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:34 PM

It was on the up and up, he was in the 70th percentile.

mama02040608
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:41 PM
2 moms liked this
No, not percentiles, actual pds and ozs. Birth, lowest and any you remember in between.

Quoting Queen_Sheila:

It was on the up and up, he was in the 70th percentile.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Queen_Sheila
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Birth weight was 7.11, lowest was 7.4 when he came home from the hospital, it quickly went up but I don't remember any in between then and now, he's 15.6.

ceckyl
by Kyla on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:47 PM
2 moms liked this
He's more than doubled his birth weight. Whats the concern? That 7 pounds in 6 months.. That's more than expected.

Quoting Queen_Sheila:

Birth weight was 7.11, lowest was 7.4 when he came home from the hospital, it quickly went up but I don't remember any in between then and now, he's 15.6.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:56 PM
I agree, however you look at it he's doing great.

And yes percentiles don't mean anything, but sheesh 70%, what more dues doc want?!

Quoting ceckyl:

He's more than doubled his birth weight. Whats the concern? That 7 pounds in 6 months.. That's more than expected.

Quoting Queen_Sheila:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Find a new doctor.  Normal gain is 1 lb a month til 4 months then a bit less after that.  They also like to see double birthweight around 6 months.  Your baby gained 8lbs from lowest weight thats MORE than double and moer than 1lb a month, your doctor is not being smart.

PLUS 70% is HIGH...he is bigger than 70% of babies his age, WTH does the doctor wwant, this si not a spelling test and you want to get 100%

Quoting Queen_Sheila:

Queen_Sheila
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Not according to the NEW World Health Organization growth charts, WIC said the same thing, that he went from the 90s down to the 33s. When I first went to WIC, they said he was big for a breast fed baby; they have different charts for formula fed babies.

Quoting ceckyl:

Quoting Queen_Sheila:

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Queen_Sheila
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 7:02 PM

i know; first our babies are too fat, now they're too skinny.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Find a new doctor.  Normal gain is 1 lb a month til 4 months then a bit less after that.  They also like to see double birthweight around 6 months.  Your baby gained 8lbs from lowest weight thats MORE than double and moer than 1lb a month, your doctor is not being smart.

PLUS 70% is HIGH...he is bigger than 70% of babies his age, WTH does the doctor wwant, this si not a spelling test and you want to get 100%

Quoting Queen_Sheila:

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN