Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

omg insaine!!!!!

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 11:22 PM
  • 8 Replies
Sorry the title doesn't fit I just figured nobody would read another toung tied post.. ANYWAYS

It just started showing up but my daughters toung tied Ive checked kellysmom and Im going to make a pedi appt . She's never had a problem but I can tell one is devolping because my nipples are starting when she's feeding and she looks like shes stuggling to feed more so my questions are 1 What are the steps they take to figure out how to get rid of it I know theres a surgey but are there things they can d before? 2) How fast do they get worse? 4) Ive heard of pedi trying to push mothers into formula whats a good way to tell them thats not a choice, Im willing to pump but if I do have to switch from nursing will my daughter except my breast again?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 18, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Tongue ties do not develope..they are born with them, if she did not have it before she doesnt have it now

WHat symptoms are you seeing

rissamom224
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 11:47 PM
She was born with it the doctor at the time said its not a problem because she's nursing fine but now its becoming noticable I guess thats why I said devolping but the tip of her toung has like a split also I reached in and felt underneath and that little skin the goes all the way uo to wear the spilt is it is starting to hurt when she nurses (I dont care I wont give up) but she also looks like she is struggling to get a full belly.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Tongue ties do not develope..they are born with them, if she did not have it before she doesnt have it now

WHat symptoms are you seeing

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Quoting rissamom224:

Sorry the title doesn't fit I just figured nobody would read another toung tied post.. ANYWAYS

It just started showing up but my daughters toung tied Ive checked kellysmom and Im going to make a pedi appt . She's never had a problem but I can tell one is devolping because my nipples are starting when she's feeding and she looks like shes stuggling to feed more so my questions are
1 What are the steps they take to figure out how to get rid of it I know theres a surgey but are there things they can d before?
Bascially the doctor just sees it and or feels it. Just one step! There is only one way to get rid of it, clip it. I know moms who went to the ENT, the doc felt it, pulled out his scissors, and clipped it. That was it. (I think he stopped to numb it, and talk to the parents about the clipping, but you get the idea) There are no other treatments.
2) How fast do they get worse?
They don't usually get "worse". Different problems can arise as baby gets older (difficulty eating solids, speech problems).
4) Ive heard of pedi trying to push mothers into formula whats a good way to tell them thats not a choice,
You just tell them that you want the TT fixed, that switching to formula is not an option. If you are needing to say this then you are at the wrong doctor.
Im willing to pump but if I do have to switch from nursing will my daughter except my breast again?
No need. If there really is a TT it can quickly be clipped and fixed. If they say you should just pump, or say you need to wait until a certain age, then you find a new doc.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Clipping takes less time than it took to write this post... and the recovery is also fast. The mouth heals INCREDIBLY quickly. Cool, huh?

rissamom224
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:09 AM
Thank you, you are a HUGE help really eased my mind, but do you know if it will hurt my baby to eat after, and do you think I could take her to the ER to get it fixed my DD pedi takes like a mnth for an appt

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Quoting rissamom224:

It just started showing up but my daughters toung tied Ive checked kellysmom and Im going to make a pedi appt . She's never had a problem but I can tell one is devolping because my nipples are starting when she's feeding and she looks like shes stuggling to feed more so my questions are
1 What are the steps they take to figure out how to get rid of it I know theres a surgey but are there things they can d before?
Bascially the doctor just sees it and or feels it. Just one step! There is only one way to get rid of it, clip it. I know moms who went to the ENT, the doc felt it, pulled out his scissors, and clipped it. That was it. (I think he stopped to numb it, and talk to the parents about the clipping, but you get the idea) There are no other treatments.
2) How fast do they get worse?
They don't usually get "worse". Different problems can arise as baby gets older (difficulty eating solids, speech problems).
4) Ive heard of pedi trying to push mothers into formula whats a good way to tell them thats not a choice,
You just tell them that you want the TT fixed, that switching to formula is not an option. If you are needing to say this then you are at the wrong doctor.
Im willing to pump but if I do have to switch from nursing will my daughter except my breast again?
No need. If there really is a TT it can quickly be clipped and fixed. If they say you should just pump, or say you need to wait until a certain age, then you find a new doc.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Quoting rissamom224:

Thank you, you are a HUGE help really eased my mind, but do you know if it will hurt my baby to eat after, and do you think I could take her to the ER to get it fixed my DD pedi takes like a mnth for an appt

They usually numb before clipping. Moms I know who've had it done said baby nursed fine right away and never complained.
Neither the ER nor you ped are the places to go (if you ped was knowledgeable and could have done it he would not have told you there was no problem in the first place).
I would start with this list: http://www.lowmilksupply.org/frenotomy.shtml
If there is no one near you on that list then find a certified lactation consultant in your area (IBCLC): http://www.lowmilksupply.org/lc.shtml
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Look up an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) Dr or a pediatric dentist.  Just call the office and ask if they deal with tongue ties.  I called an ENT and got an appt within a few days and the appt took 15 minutes.  Easy peasy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)