Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Help! No poops in 15 days for EBF 7 month old

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:37 AM
  • 8 Replies
Our son turned 7 months old on Monday, and his usual pooping schedule has been once a week since he was about 3 months old - and on that day he will fill 2 or 3 diapers. His poop always looks like reg BM poop - more runny, and changes colors. He is EBF, with some sips of water throughout the day.

The last time he pooped was July 3rd. He has seemed really happy, and his tummy doesn't look distended or anything. I have read that some infants have gone a couple of weeks w/o pooping - so I was okay monitoring it for that long. In the meantime we gave him some prune juice to see if that would help - no luck. This past Tuesday after waiting 2 weeks we went into the doc. The first thing she did (not our reg doc because it was a walk in) was "yell" at me for not feeding him food and how horrible it is that I haven't introduced solids. She said BM doesn't have enough calories - do I got pretty upset and told her to look at him. He weighed 5 pounds at birth and is now almost 19 pounds and in the 75th percentile. I told her I would introduce solids when he starts showing interest. We've done bits of squished peas and avocados - and he's just not very interested yet. I told her we were planning on doing solids in the next month or so.

After that whole exchange we got to the issue at hand. She said she would put a glove on and try to get things moving. So she did that, and then told me to get some baby suppositories if what she did doesn't work. Well what she did didn't work, so yesterday we tried the suppository - and that still hasn't worked.

We'll prob be heading back to the doctor today, but I wanted to check with the group to see if anyone else has had a similar experience. Thanks for comments and suggestions.
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:42 AM
Group record is around 3 weeks. I think baby is fine. Just be ready for an explosion :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifetimelove
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:57 AM
If he's not in pain, don't sweat it. He might just be reaching digestive system maturity. No worries.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silka08
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:08 AM
No worries :-) if no solids or formula to constipate id give it time.

My experience if baby isnt ready do NOT force solids! I dod with my oldest and it really, really messed up his GI system. At 19lbs yiur baby is more than ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gruntlings
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this

If baby's not pooping then solids will make things worse at this point.

Is baby making enough wet diapers? Dehydration can cause problems with pooping. If baby's not having enough wet diapers or if baby's urine is strong/dark/concentrated that could be why baby's not pooping.

Does baby have a lot of gas?

You can try laying baby on a waterproof pad on his back and pushing his legs up to his belly while massaging his lower back. When you do this his anus will open up a bit and he will fart any farts that he has. This helps my daughter poop and pass gas when she's having problems.

You're probably in for a major poop explosion.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 19, 2012 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Lil_B_Mom:

Our son turned 7 months old on Monday, and his usual pooping schedule has been once a week since he was about 3 months old - and on that day he will fill 2 or 3 diapers. His poop always looks like reg BM poop - more runny, and changes colors. He is EBF, with some sips of water throughout the day.
It is normal in the second half of year one to go days and days without a poop. Group record is about 20 days.

The last time he pooped was July 3rd. He has seemed really happy, and his tummy doesn't look distended or anything.
And that's what really matters!
I have read that some infants have gone a couple of weeks w/o pooping - so I was okay monitoring it for that long. In the meantime we gave him some prune juice to see if that would help - no luck. This past Tuesday after waiting 2 weeks we went into the doc. The first thing she did (not our reg doc because it was a walk in) was "yell" at me for not feeding him food and how horrible it is that I haven't introduced solids.
And THAT was your cue to WALK OUT. Because she was quite wrong.
She said BM doesn't have enough calories - do I got pretty upset and told her to look at him. He weighed 5 pounds at birth and is now almost 19 pounds and in the 75th percentile. I told her I would introduce solids when he starts showing interest. We've done bits of squished peas and avocados - and he's just not very interested yet. I told her we were planning on doing solids in the next month or so.
Good for you.

After that whole exchange we got to the issue at hand. She said she would put a glove on and try to get things moving. So she did that, and then told me to get some baby suppositories if what she did doesn't work. Well what she did didn't work, so yesterday we tried the suppository - and that still hasn't worked.

We'll prob be heading back to the doctor today, but I wanted to check with the group to see if anyone else has had a similar experience. Thanks for comments and suggestions.

Don't bother with the doc. If there's no pain, there's probably nothing to pass. Breastmilk is well used by the body. 

If baby's belly becomes distended or baby is in pain, THEN worry.

Lil_B_Mom
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:01 AM
3 moms liked this
Thanks everyone for your replies! He ended up pooping last night!! 6 diapers and 50 wipes later :)
Such a relief, and a good reminder to trust my instincts - thanks again for your suggestions and comments!
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:15 AM

No need for all of the rectal stimulation--that can cause damage.  I've known ebf babies who have gone a month without pooping as their normal pooping schedule.  If he's not in pain and tummy is not distended or hard, leave him alone.

melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 21, 2012 at 9:20 AM
Hurray!!! Sounds like it was quite the mess ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN