Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Third Trimester Packet" from my doctor's office

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:45 PM
  • 11 Replies
3 moms liked this

There are always posts of how uninformed and unsupportive doctors are about breastfeeding. There are doctors offices and hospitals pushing formula. I just want to say that not EVERY doctor and office is like this!!

I just went to my 27 week (6 month) prenatal checkup where they handed me a third trimester packet with information to read. I'm on my second pregnancy (nursed my first until 23 months) and I was curious as to what was in it. With my last pregnancy, they just gave out a couple of pamphlets and a "breastfeeding" bag, which was pretty much the formula package without the formula included.

Well, in the package, along with the typical baby blues and circumcision information, they had 4 (yes, four!) different pamphlets and printouts in regards to breastfeeding. And every one had up-to-date information on it. It cited typical newborn nursing behavior, as well as the times when growth spurts occur -- assuring you that if your baby nurses more frequently to not think you don't have enough milk! It encourages nursing on demand. It also encourages mothers to breastfeed exclusively until six months, and to nurse until at least one year per aap guidelines. One shocking line in it said "Breastmilk is the best nutrition for babies. Babies should get only breastmilk -- no formula, water, or foods -- until six months of age." I have never seen the formula added in there along with the food and water. (I'm not demonizing formula, as there are medical reasons to use it). It had a printout on how to successfully breastfeed while working full-time!!

It just shocked me that these pamphlets and printouts had really good accurate information!! Goodbye formula bags, hello real information! Just thought I'd share. Not all doctors out there are trying to push the formula :)

by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Yeah! I had almost given up hope that this ever happens. I just got lots of formula and extrememely bad advice about breastfeeding. 

3babiesofmyown
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:49 PM
Breastfeeding is making a huge come back. My mom and grandma were given pills to dry up their milk. Crazy how things change so much so fast
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nellyb118
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:53 PM
Yay! That's awesome! My ob had no info on bf and offered formula at her office for expecting moms but our pediatrician is a bf advocate & pretty great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicole060812
by Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this
The hospital I work at advocates breastfeeding. We do skin to skin time and really encourage it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Our local hospital is doing good. They encourage skin-to-skin, breastfeeding, rooming in, baby on chest as soon as delivered, nurse within the first hour. However, their lactation consultants suck. They give everyone a nipple shield!!

Quoting Nicole060812:

The hospital I work at advocates breastfeeding. We do skin to skin time and really encourage it.

Nicole060812
by Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Whattttt?? Thats odd!

Quoting littlelambe2:

Our local hospital is doing good. They encourage skin-to-skin, breastfeeding, rooming in, baby on chest as soon as delivered, nurse within the first hour. However, their lactation consultants suck. They give everyone a nipple shield!!

Quoting Nicole060812:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this

my obs office no longer gives our anytype of 'goodie' bags but has breastfeeding info posted everywhere! Our hospital is also one of the baby friendly one and doesnt even have a nursery 

louzannalady
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Wow!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catholicmamamia
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:39 PM

That's great!

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  to make friends and share advice on breastfeeding,      
   babywearing, bedsharing, gentle discipline, and natural foods, health, and cleaners! ♥

littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 12:40 AM
I know! When I had dd, I told them I didn't want to see one (I was discharged early). But everyone I personally know who birthed at that hospital came home with a nipple shield. My SIL had her baby there a week ago and was having trouble getting her ds to latch on one side. Instead of correcting the positioning (which, thankfully, the local LLL did), she was handed a nipple shield. :(

Quoting Nicole060812:

Whattttt?? Thats odd!

Quoting littlelambe2:

Quoting Nicole060812:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)