Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Help! Its time to quit!!

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM
  • 11 Replies

My little angel is now 17 months old and I am ready to stop breastfeeding. I can't seem too. I know she'd do it forever if she could, and she throws massive fits if I do not let her. Also, if she stays somewhere overnite, I feel the pain from being too full. Please tell me how you quit if you have and what I have to do to ease her off and myself.

by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
moroccanmommy
by Robin on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:50 PM
Good job 17months! Night weaned?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sbreece
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:51 PM
Have you tried pumping into sippy cups? Pumping will help you if you're really full too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SamiiSecurity
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:51 PM
She's a cutie momma. I don't have the answer though, so here's a bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rhiannon92
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:55 PM

She IS really cute! I don't have an answer for you though because I'm letting my 20 month old self-wean :/

I know cold compresses suppress milk production... You could start pumping and putting into sippy cups? then switch to half breastmilk, half some other kind of milk until eventually it is all ____ milk.. I really don't know but good luck!

ceckyl
by Kyla on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:57 PM
She won't nurse forever, it's not possible :). But if you want to wean drop one feeding a week until done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 21, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Drop one feeding per week till gone. That's always the method, whatever the age. Don't expect cooperation, though. Start with the feeding she'd miss the least. Then when that's been gone a week, move on to the next one.

She'll either go along with you or not. There's no way to make her happy about it.

CountryGirl0809
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2012 at 6:33 PM
I'm not ready to wean my 21 mth old but I said the other day even if I wanted to it would be more trouble trying to wean him than letting him nurse. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3loves3
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Thanks for your support, and you're right... she definately not going to cooperate. I have taken away her nap feedings so I am actually just feeding her at night for bed. Shes starting to stop when I say '"all done" sometimes she fights me, sometimes not. My biggest problem is that she still wakes up in the middle of the night, one, sometimes two or three times and wants to nurse. She wont just lay there either she had to crawl all over me, which sucks when I have to get up early. Thats the biggest reason why I want to stop. Thanks again guys!!! And thank you for the compliments on her!!

melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:25 PM
Night weaning would stop this. Then you could continue nursing her a couple times a day.

Quoting 3loves3:

Thanks for your support, and you're right... she definately not going to cooperate. I have taken away her nap feedings so I am actually just feeding her at night for bed. Shes starting to stop when I say '"all done" sometimes she fights me, sometimes not. My biggest problem is that she still wakes up in the middle of the night, one, sometimes two or three times and wants to nurse. She wont just lay there either she had to crawl all over me, which sucks when I have to get up early. Thats the biggest reason why I want to stop. Thanks again guys!!! And thank you for the compliments on her!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 21, 2012 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Nightwean but let her nurse daytime and I bet it would change things alot! Keep in mind nightweaning does not equal SLEEP lol, just means you have one less tool in your belt to help with sleep

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN