Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

strep throat

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:25 AM
  • 5 Replies
I have strep throat :( should I take antibiotics or try to just deal with it at home. I know antibiotics are safe while breastfeeding but I worry abiut thrush
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
i43tinker
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:27 AM

strep  throat can get very bad if you dont take antibotics it could lead to something way more serious you can take them and eat yougurt or take aphidolphlis not sure if thats how you spell it but talk to your doctor 

MumsTheWord571
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:28 AM
This. Better to treat for thrush later than get more sick now.

Quoting i43tinker:

strep  throat can get very bad if you dont take antibotics it could lead to something way more serious you can take them and eat yougurt or take aphidolphlis not sure if thats how you spell it but talk to your doctor 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 7:51 AM
Strep can lead to scarlet fever or worse rheumatic fever is untreated. However, are you sure that it is strep and not viral? There are several viruses that cause sore throat. I wouldn't take antibiotics unless you are tested for strep otherwise it's viral. Feel better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:20 AM

This.  Strep can possibly have major complications if left untreated.  However, unless you've had a strep test there's no way to know for sure if you have it.

abx are safe when nursing, take probiotics opposite your abx doses and give baby probiotics as well and you should be fine.

Quoting Cleo07:

Strep can lead to scarlet fever or worse rheumatic fever is untreated. However, are you sure that it is strep and not viral? There are several viruses that cause sore throat. I wouldn't take antibiotics unless you are tested for strep otherwise it's viral. Feel better.

babynurse244
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 8:39 AM

You need to be seen by a doctor and have a culture done if you haven't already. Strep can turn into rheumatic fever and cause damage to your heart valves among other things. There is no way to deal with it at home.

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

This. Better to treat for thrush later than get more sick now.

Quoting i43tinker:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)