Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

when did you stop breastfeeding? ***edit***

Posted by   + Show Post
I've been breastfeeding ds for almost a year and I would like to have him weaned before his 1st birthday next month. I'm just not sure how to start the process. He won't take a bottle and will hardly take a cup, so I'm not sure what to do. Suggestions?

***Thanks for all of your advice ladies. I'll definitely have to take some time and really think about whether or not I want to wean.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:50 PM
Replies (41-47):
annaica
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 3:08 PM
BF DS 8 months. Been BF DD 21 months longer, so far... lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifetimelove
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 3:13 PM
My breasts are about 2 cup sizes different for the first year of breastfeeding. After about 14 months, they pretty much even out. One is slightly bigger than the other, but not noticeably. My son is now 20 months and my breasts look like they did before babies, except a little bigger and perkier (lucky me!). He is still nursing 5-6 times a day. =)

My oldest I weaned at 12 months. My second weaned herself at 2 1/2 years. My third is still nursing at almost 21 months. I've weaned one at 12 months and I will NEVER do it again. Breastfeeding is the most AWSOME amazing tool for taking care of a toddler. I love nursing my toddlers 100 times more than nursing a baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DeeDee_28
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 3:23 PM
I have very mixed emotions about it. I love breastfeeding and I know ds does as well but I don't want him breastfeeding forever, lol. I'll really have to think about it some more.

Quoting lifetimelove:

My breasts are about 2 cup sizes different for the first year of breastfeeding. After about 14 months, they pretty much even out. One is slightly bigger than the other, but not noticeably. My son is now 20 months and my breasts look like they did before babies, except a little bigger and perkier (lucky me!). He is still nursing 5-6 times a day. =)

My oldest I weaned at 12 months. My second weaned herself at 2 1/2 years. My third is still nursing at almost 21 months. I've weaned one at 12 months and I will NEVER do it again. Breastfeeding is the most AWSOME amazing tool for taking care of a toddler. I love nursing my toddlers 100 times more than nursing a baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 11:56 AM

This is what I posted earlier about the anti-depressant hormone. Breastfeeding is not only a benefit for the baby, but for the mother, as well. You both have to be ready. The best way, the only way to be successful for both people, is to let it happen naturally.

Quoting sammywantsababy:

we just stopped 2 days ago...my son is 11 months old. I too wanted to be done by his 1st birthday. He had significantly reduced his nursing sessions and was only nursing in the morning and at night. I felt like that was a good time to transition to whole milk. He was always really good about taking a bottle since the very beginning so I just mixed 1/2 breat milk 1/2 whole milk for 2 days and then he was fine all whole milk. I will tell u though that I am having serious emotional issues from stopping. Yesterday I literally sobbed the entire day. I felt like I was in a good place to stop and didn't expect to feel SO sad. Good luck w/whatever u decide to do though!

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Quoting DeeDee_28:

I have very mixed emotions about it. I love breastfeeding and I know ds does as well but I don't want him breastfeeding forever, lol. I'll really have to think about it some more.

Forever? My son is 5 and still nurses. One year is only the prime. I'll repeat again because I'm afraid you might do something you'll regret. Please reconsider quitting, and let your son take the lead. Years later, when you look back, you'll be glad. Look what happened to the mom in the above post.

You can do it!

you rock

tsmcconnell
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:08 PM
If they arent ready to be weaned then good luck with that! My dd1 weaned herself at 18 months and at the same time she was potty trained night and day. Dd2 wouldn't even consider it at that age! I had to really work at it with her. She stopped about 20 months i think? Maybe a lil longer. She mostly needed it for bed tim only. She seemed to quit when she was ready. I have a step son who just turned 4 and i cannot imagine that kid nursing! Even a yr ago. When they r old enough to tell people my mommy breast feeds me or talk back i'm done! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sammywantsababy
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:21 PM

yeah I didnt realize how powerful that hormone really was lol...I ended up going back to nursing a couple of days later. I just couldn't stop. I think it was made worse (my emotions) because I also started prednisone for poison ivy that same day and apparently that does something to ur hormones occasionally too...so yeah, I was a wreck. Anyways, I stopped the medication and went back to nursing. One day he may only nurse once and the next day he might nurse 2-3 times...I'm just going to give it some more time and hope that it was just tapper down and he will become disinterested eventually and all will be right with the world lol. I also REALLY dont want to deal with engorgement like I was when I originally stopped either so I'm hoping doing it at a slower pace will help with that too. 

Quoting Kathy489:

This is what I posted earlier about the anti-depressant hormone. Breastfeeding is not only a benefit for the baby, but for the mother, as well. You both have to be ready. The best way, the only way to be successful for both people, is to let it happen naturally.

Quoting sammywantsababy:

we just stopped 2 days ago...my son is 11 months old. I too wanted to be done by his 1st birthday. He had significantly reduced his nursing sessions and was only nursing in the morning and at night. I felt like that was a good time to transition to whole milk. He was always really good about taking a bottle since the very beginning so I just mixed 1/2 breat milk 1/2 whole milk for 2 days and then he was fine all whole milk. I will tell u though that I am having serious emotional issues from stopping. Yesterday I literally sobbed the entire day. I felt like I was in a good place to stop and didn't expect to feel SO sad. Good luck w/whatever u decide to do though!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN