Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Not sure if I can keep doing this

Posted by   + Show Post
It is apparently the three week growth spurt. How long does it last?

We are on day four of cluster feeding. The first day she went for 8 hours nursing and then slept for six. Ever since then she is nursing for about an hour and then she will sleep for an hour and then nurse for an hour, etc. Except she has one or two spells a day that last from anywhere from 5-8 hours. She will nurse for about 30 minutes, take a 5 minute break, nurse for another 30 minutes, etc. It is those long spells that are killing me.
She is making 6-7 diapers a day.

How long will this last? What do I do? My boobs feel empty and sore. They aren't cracking and the latch is fine.
I am not ready to give up but I find myself getting to that point.
I go to see an lc on Tuesday but I am to the point that I am dreading doing all this tomorrow. I love nursing her but keep feeling like something is wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Replies (21-26):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the new age of global competition! 

They kept it easy for mine... everything was turned in on Fridays, and it was pretty much all artsy type stuff, like collecting magazine pictures of plants and that sort of thing. And practicing letters, too.

Quoting Elayna90:

Wait, they have homework in Kindergarden?
Elayna90
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:12 AM
I thought we would have resentment issue but when we didn't at first, I thought I had gotten lucky.
They are pretty tolerant already. They help with her as much as they can. She opens her eyes and they are right there wanting to brush her hair or kiss her hands.... it is sweet.
I have a sling and a Moby that she likes but I haven't quite figured out how to nurse her in either one. That is a work in progess.
I microwave for them because my oldest is very limited on what he can eat. I have been living on cereal and sandwiches.
I have heard the 6 week is pretty bad. I am a little nervous but we will get through it.
I am looking forward to when she decided to like her bouncy or swing. She hates them right now.

We read too. My oldest is just learning with the beginners books so that is one of his favorite things to do. He is "teaching" my youngest.
Me and my youngest's preschool teacher worked for 3 months to teach him to read and write his name. My oldest actually taught him in like an hour.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

The bigger ones wouldn't resent her less if she wasn't breastfeeding. It's nature, for the bigger and stronger ones to want to pick off the little ones who are cutting into their resources. When she starts smiling at them, they will become more tolerant of her existence. I found that nursing in my sling kind of kept the baby from being rubbed in their face 24/7 because it was hidden a bit. Microwave meals, girl, you are going all out! We survived on cereal and sandwiches for weeks. ;-) Seriously, you are at a sucky growth spurt, and when this one is over the 6 week one sideswipes you. But Pretty soon the baby will be content for a few moments in the swing or bouncy seat and you can resume your wrestling matches with the other kids. Or not. ;-) Reading books sounds like fun.

Quoting Elayna90:

I did not want to hear weeks :( Even if it went for weeks, I would just battle through it.

With my oldest two, I couldn't bf, had severe PPD and bonding issues. I am not having that now and I think nursing has something to do with that.

I have been letting a lot of things go. But I have very little help. My husband works 14 hour days. My mom ia trying to help but she can only be here for an hour or two every couple of days. The last two days my boys have had all microwave meals because I don't want to nurse her with the stove going.

I wish I had the option of staying in bed. I can't. I nurse her on the go pretty much because my 4&5 yos won't allow that. It is to the point now where their adorarion of her is starting to turn to jealousy. I try to do things with them that I can do while I nurse her but they want their mommy back too. They want me to be able to take them out to play or wrestle in the floor with them.

And that is part of the way I am feeling too. My oldest starts school on Wed. He starts Kindergarden. So I am about to lose a lot of time with him.

I know my nursing is making them unhappy and I don't know how to change that.

Thanks for responding. You always have great advice and make me feel better at the same time!

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Elayna90:

It is apparently the three week growth spurt. How long does it last?
As long as it lasts. For some babies, one or two days. For others, WEEKS.

We are on day four of cluster feeding. The first day she went for 8 hours nursing and then slept for six. Ever since then she is nursing for about an hour and then she will sleep for an hour and then nurse for an hour, etc.
**grin** That's better than what I dealt with. Two hours on. Ten minutes off. Three hours on. Five minutes off. Not-nursing periods could be measured in minutes rather than hours... and barely added up to an hour!
And he did this for FIVE WEEKS! (Is it any wonder that with two weeks before his 13th birthday, he's nearly as tall as his dad and strong as an ox?)
My survival techniques? I was lucky enough to have my parents close by, so they helped with things. And I made it a point to let things go. The house didn't fall down. **grin** (It was also useful training for when I had to work two jobs for a couple of years.)
Except she has one or two spells a day that last from anywhere from 5-8 hours. She will nurse for about 30 minutes, take a 5 minute break, nurse for another 30 minutes, etc. It is those long spells that are killing me.

She is making 6-7 diapers a day.

How long will this last? What do I do? My boobs feel empty and sore. They aren't cracking and the latch is fine.

I am not ready to give up but I find myself getting to that point.

I go to see an lc on Tuesday but I am to the point that I am dreading doing all this tomorrow. I love nursing her but keep feeling like something is wrong.

Nothing's wrong. You're getting some pretty good breaks for a growth spurt! I know it doesn't feel that way, but you're doing better than you realize!

This is a good excuse to crash in bed and run a James Bond marathon. Or your popcorn flick of choice!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Britania
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Oh man, yeah, three weeks is when things took a turn for us here too. My two older kids are 3 & 4. My baby is almost 7 weeks. We played lots of cards and board games on the carpet while I nursed baby. The kids have also been watching a ton of movies. In the early morning, when then big kids are up, i have then turn in the tv while baby and I stay in bed. I have set up a breakfast/snack cabinet where the kids can go to feed themselves if I'm not up.
Hang in there! In a few weeks, you'll be into a much better groove.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elayna90
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:32 AM
Hopefully he won't have that much! He probably wouldn't mind it though. He lovea anything he can learn from. His preschool teacher enjoyed him so much she taught him to add and subtract and began teaching him to read. He was the only one because she said the others needes to time to play but he kept wanting to know more and more.

She will have my youngest son this year. I have a feeling it
Quoting mostlymaydays:

My oldest had more homework in kindergarten than in the three grades that followed. I know parents complained about the teacher and when my next son had her as well, not much homework. But my oldest was reading by Christmas, and my second son was not.

Quoting Elayna90:

I hope we will be through soon. She has been sleeping now for about 20 minutes and already the frusteration is wearing off. But I am still ready for this to end. Lol. I just feel a bit more tolerant.

We do use paper plates. We don't use plastic forks. Silverware is a great way for my oldest to learn to do dishes :) We do run them in the dishwasher as well though.

My youngest is getting frusterated but he is very easy going so he isn't doing too bad. His is coming out through being very hyper.

My oldest is the one having a tough time. And I kind of thought he would but when he didn't at first, I thought I had gotten lucky and avoided it.

They are so close that we never had that adjustment period.

I know it isn't my job to make them happy. I hear "You're not my friend anymore!" often enough to know that. I just like to make them happy :)

I know they will love their sister. They already do. She is their baby is what they tell everyone. All she has to do is make the slightest noise and they are fretting to make sure she is ok. I guess it is just everyone being tired and frusterated and all the changes.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Elayna90:

I did not want to hear weeks :( Even if it went for weeks, I would just battle through it.
Considering the long breaks you're getting through the day, I'd say you're already at the worst part and will be through this in a couple of days.
With my oldest two, I couldn't bf, had severe PPD and bonding issues. I am not having that now and I think nursing has something to do with that.

I have been letting a lot of things go. But I have very little help. My husband works 14 hour days. My mom ia trying to help but she can only be here for an hour or two every couple of days. The last two days my boys have had all microwave meals because I don't want to nurse her with the stove going.
Smart woman. That's all perfect. Paper plates and plastic forks are great too.
I wish I had the option of staying in bed. I can't. I nurse her on the go pretty much because my 4&5 yos won't allow that. It is to the point now where their adorarion of her is starting to turn to jealousy.
Heh heh. Of course. The IDEA of being an older sibling is far more enchanting than the reality of it! They're old enough to earn some special privileges, though. 
I try to do things with them that I can do while I nurse her but they want their mommy back too. They want me to be able to take them out to play or wrestle in the floor with them.
Probably just as well you're not... they're getting big and sometimes they don't know their own strength! (Mine is nearly 13, 5'9" at last check and still thinks he can "tackle hug" me the way he used to when he was five. Even then he could knock me off my feet!) 
You'll get the time you need. This all passes.

And that is part of the way I am feeling too. My oldest starts school on Wed. He starts Kindergarden. So I am about to lose a lot of time with him.
Actually, you're about to get a lot more direct time with him. Homework! 

You can't. But remember: Making them happy isn't part of your task. You will get that driven home with the first time you have to make your oldest sit down to do homework when he really wants to play with his brother!
Happy is great.. but healthy & responsible comes first... and there's a lot of unhappy on the road to that.
I was about two when my brother was adopted. After the initial enchantment, I tried to convince my parents to send him back to the agency. He was in the way! My first memory is that I hit him! Nice, huh? My mother insisted on being unimpressed with my behavior. All it got me was having to do whatever my brother did... including taking NAPS. Talk about a dealbreaker! I wasn't happy with it... but eventually I became my brother's keeper and his avenging angel when he needed it. (Not to say I wasn't above pranking him.)
They'll get there. It's OK. Kids are rathter uncivilized; all of this you're going through is part of the civilizing process.

Thanks for responding. You always have great advice and make me feel better at the same time!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elayna90
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM
That is supposed to end in

I have a feeling it will be a different experience.

Quoting Elayna90:

Hopefully he won't have that much! He probably wouldn't mind it though. He lovea anything he can learn from. His preschool teacher enjoyed him so much she taught him to add and subtract and began teaching him to read. He was the only one because she said the others needes to time to play but he kept wanting to know more and more.

She will have my youngest son this year. I have a feeling it
Quoting mostlymaydays:

My oldest had more homework in kindergarten than in the three grades that followed. I know parents complained about the teacher and when my next son had her as well, not much homework. But my oldest was reading by Christmas, and my second son was not.

Quoting Elayna90:

I hope we will be through soon. She has been sleeping now for about 20 minutes and already the frusteration is wearing off. But I am still ready for this to end. Lol. I just feel a bit more tolerant.

We do use paper plates. We don't use plastic forks. Silverware is a great way for my oldest to learn to do dishes :) We do run them in the dishwasher as well though.

My youngest is getting frusterated but he is very easy going so he isn't doing too bad. His is coming out through being very hyper.

My oldest is the one having a tough time. And I kind of thought he would but when he didn't at first, I thought I had gotten lucky and avoided it.

They are so close that we never had that adjustment period.

I know it isn't my job to make them happy. I hear "You're not my friend anymore!" often enough to know that. I just like to make them happy :)

I know they will love their sister. They already do. She is their baby is what they tell everyone. All she has to do is make the slightest noise and they are fretting to make sure she is ok. I guess it is just everyone being tired and frusterated and all the changes.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Elayna90:

Considering the long breaks you're getting through the day, I'd say you're already at the worst part and will be through this in a couple of days.

Smart woman. That's all perfect. Paper plates and plastic forks are great too.
I wish I had the option of staying in bed. I can't. I nurse her on the go pretty much because my 4&5 yos won't allow that. It is to the point now where their adorarion of her is starting to turn to jealousy.
Heh heh. Of course. The IDEA of being an older sibling is far more enchanting than the reality of it! They're old enough to earn some special privileges, though. 
I try to do things with them that I can do while I nurse her but they want their mommy back too. They want me to be able to take them out to play or wrestle in the floor with them.
Probably just as well you're not... they're getting big and sometimes they don't know their own strength! (Mine is nearly 13, 5'9" at last check and still thinks he can "tackle hug" me the way he used to when he was five. Even then he could knock me off my feet!) 
You'll get the time you need. This all passes.

Actually, you're about to get a lot more direct time with him. Homework! 

You can't. But remember: Making them happy isn't part of your task. You will get that driven home with the first time you have to make your oldest sit down to do homework when he really wants to play with his brother!
Happy is great.. but healthy & responsible comes first... and there's a lot of unhappy on the road to that.
I was about two when my brother was adopted. After the initial enchantment, I tried to convince my parents to send him back to the agency. He was in the way! My first memory is that I hit him! Nice, huh? My mother insisted on being unimpressed with my behavior. All it got me was having to do whatever my brother did... including taking NAPS. Talk about a dealbreaker! I wasn't happy with it... but eventually I became my brother's keeper and his avenging angel when he needed it. (Not to say I wasn't above pranking him.)
They'll get there. It's OK. Kids are rathter uncivilized; all of this you're going through is part of the civilizing process.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elayna90
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:36 AM
That is pretty much what we have been doing. My husband is home until about 10 and occupies them. My day doesn't start until about then but it doesn't end until about 2am. But it is nice not to have to worry about breakfast.

Quoting Britania:

Oh man, yeah, three weeks is when things took a turn for us here too. My two older kids are 3 & 4. My baby is almost 7 weeks. We played lots of cards and board games on the carpet while I nursed baby. The kids have also been watching a ton of movies. In the early morning, when then big kids are up, i have then turn in the tv while baby and I stay in bed. I have set up a breakfast/snack cabinet where the kids can go to feed themselves if I'm not up.

Hang in there! In a few weeks, you'll be into a much better groove.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN