Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just had my baby, hospital vent

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:57 AM
  • 27 Replies
I wasn't due til August 25th but she came July 28. Did not give birth at my hospital of choice so now I'm stuck at this hospital I don't like. I am having issues with nursing and this hospital doesn't have an lc. They keep offering me sugar water and formula so I can sleep and I deny it. I'm using a nipple shield which seems to work better than without it. I haven't slept since I've been here. They are understaffed so I can't even take her to the nursery to get a couple hrs of sleep. I just wish things went according to plan and I could have gone to the birthing center with access to lc. Instead of just being offered formula several times a day. I just want to cry from exhaustion also.., :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VintageWife
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Where are you at? Maybe there's a LC on here that is close. I wouldn't send the baby to the nursery. They'll sneak formula to her. Maybe have a family member or friend come hold her while you take a shower and get a nap.

Traceyssel
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:03 AM
In Plymouth, in. I'm going to call the wic lc tomorrow. All my family live out of town except fiancée and he is at home sleeping right now. He has to be at work in 2hrs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:47 AM
Hugs. Sorry things didnt go the way you hoped.
It's probably better she doesn't go to nursery or they may give her the formula/sugar water.
Why are you using a sheild?
Goggle some latch videos to help you visualize what your looking for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kona211
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:12 AM
Congratulations with your little girl!

I agree about not letting your baby go to the nursery. As soon as she gets fussy or cries, they'll probably give her a bottle. This has happened to a number of my friends and family. Best place for baby and to get your milk to come in is to have your baby with you on your chest!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsix
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Can you both get discharged to go home? If she's staying in the room with you I would insist when the doctor does rounds this morning that they sign discharge papers for both of you. Once home you can get some sleep without worrying about them giving her something. I'd also see if there is a La Leche League group where you are,your Wic lc should know but,you can always google them and there should be a phone number or such for locating a group near you. Hugs Momma! You're doing great and it does get better.

Traceyssel
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:32 AM
A nurse suggested a shield. My baby would open her mouth but not close it. Nurse says since my baby was born early she will have trouble latching especially since my boobs are soft

Quoting melindabelcher:

Hugs. Sorry things didnt go the way you hoped.

It's probably better she doesn't go to nursery or they may give her the formula/sugar water.

Why are you using a sheild?

Goggle some latch videos to help you visualize what your looking for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Traceyssel
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:33 AM
3 moms liked this
I just nursed her for 45mins. She is getting better at it. She turns her head towards my boob and tries to find the nipple. She didn't do that earlier or yesterday
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Traceyssel
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:36 AM
We were going to get discharged in the 29th but her pediatrician wants her to stay the whole 48hrs cause she's "sluggish" at eating. She was born 6lb 1oz and is now 5lb 7oz. My son who was born full term last year also lost 10oz, but losing weight is normal as far as I hear

Quoting cjsix:

Can you both get discharged to go home? If she's staying in the room with you I would insist when the doctor does rounds this morning that they sign discharge papers for both of you. Once home you can get some sleep without worrying about them giving her something. I'd also see if there is a La Leche League group where you are,your Wic lc should know but,you can always google them and there should be a phone number or such for locating a group near you. Hugs Momma! You're doing great and it does get better.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Traceyssel
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm defiantly going to seek help today (Monday). We get discharged today but fiancée can't take us home until 6pm. I wasn't expecting nursing issues since my son was pro at it when he was born. But I'm not gonna give up :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsix
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:45 AM

Yes,losing weight is very normal the first little bit and hen the milk come in and they start to gain it back. Don't let the doctor out of signing those discharge papers. Is there anyone who could pick you up sooner than 6pm? Who is watching your little boy? Could they come and get you?

Quoting Traceyssel:

We were going to get discharged in the 29th but her pediatrician wants her to stay the whole 48hrs cause she's "sluggish" at eating. She was born 6lb 1oz and is now 5lb 7oz. My son who was born full term last year also lost 10oz, but losing weight is normal as far as I hear

Quoting cjsix:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)