Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Do babies need milk after one year?... What if they don't like it?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:28 AM
  • 30 Replies
My Nephew just turned one.. Mommy stopped nursing and he won't drink regular milk or formula!... Only water... Is that healthy? She is worried. Thx!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mama02040608
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:53 AM
As long as he will eat some form of dairy or something rich in calcium, no worries.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:57 AM
My kids haven't been milk drinkers, especially as one year-old babies. But they've always eaten lots of cheese, yogurt and Icecream so my pedi didn't harass me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:59 AM
If she's really worried, she could pop him back on the breast. My kids are all water drinkers, a great habit. My dh can't drink anything unless it's flavored and sweetened. :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WFG2012
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:02 AM
I think its fine as long as he gets yogurt or cheese or something. mine still nurse after 1 so idk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JaxMomma78
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:08 AM
Tell her to try almond milk if there is no allergies. Is light and a but sweet, kinda like bm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vintage-misha
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:09 AM

No they don't need Milk. Mine drink Almond Milk, we are an anti diary family. She just needs to make sure he is getting good fats!

Gruntlings
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:16 AM
3 moms liked this

If his diet contains another source of healthy fat and calcium, it's fine. Liquid milk is not necessary. Avocado, broccoli, salmon, etc. contain good healthy fat/calcium.

He can also eat whole milk yogurt, cheeses, etc.

This is why I let my kids wean themselves. :) I don't like having to deal with the worry about pickiness.

She can try making milk based smoothies with fresh fruit, as well. Not the healthiest, but it's better than chocolate milk. ;)

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 11:11 AM
2 moms liked this
There is actually growing evidence that milk isn't as great a source of calcium (not as efficient with absorption). As long as he's eating other foods with calcium/fat he's ok
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bpryce
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 11:36 AM
My pediatrician told we at least one cup of milk a day (whole milk) is needed for toddlers because they need the extra fat. When i mentioned he eats full fat yogurt and cheese everyday she said that that wasnt enough. She recommended only giving milk with meals and by the end of the day it should total at least one cup
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KMadsen
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Humans don't need cow's milk ever. As long as he is getting healthy fats from other foods, eats a variety of fruits & veggies, & gets some sun every day he will be fine. She could try almond, goat, or coconut milk if she's really worried about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN