Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Locking up formula? I say YES !

Posted by   + Show Post

The Mayor of New York has a really good idea with locking formula up in hospitals.... Theres nothing wrong persay with formula, But, women esp in may age range don't even try to BF. The first few  weeks are hard,but after that it isnt! Im glad we have programs like WIC to provide formula,etc but more needs to be done to make sure woman know how much better BF'ing is. Mosl t people are not educated on the benefits and feel like there isnt enough support. My son who is 7 was not BF just because of that.. I felt like I didnt know enough and was SCARED! and I still dont know anyone personally in my life EVER that breastfed, And thats sad :( Im PROUD to say my daughter IS !!!!

by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Replies (121-130):
AudlyLuvly
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 8:54 PM
2 moms liked this
Plain and simple, formula is a dietary supplement, and this initiative has hospitals actually treating it as such, instead of pushing it onto mothers, like so many have in the past. It's not like they have to be educated about it every time the baby receives formula, they get informed before making a medical decision, which is the responsibility of the health car professional to provide. This doesn't change the availability of it after you've left the hospital, either..

If being educated on why breastmilk is better for your child makes you feel guilty for choosing formula, then that's on you for making that choice.

Quoting CourtneyCS:

I realize this however I would equate it to this; Let's say I want to go and buy a cheeseburger at McDonalds, I know it is not good for me and would not want a lecture about the bad things about a cheeseburger vs a salad everytime I go to order this cheeseburger. I believe that we all have freedom of choice and even if I do not agree with that choice I do not think it is our place to try to guilt people into making those choices I would prefer them to make. This is a larger issue to me, if we start with formula then what is next? What other choice will I be chastised for? Will I be scorned for being a working mother instead of a stay at home mother? As I stated I am very pro-bfing however I do not feel this is the way to get the word out/educate people, if anything I think this will make people resentful of it.

Quoting AudlyLuvly:

It's not taking choice away. Formula will still be available, just not as easily accessable. And they are making sure mothers are making informed decisions.

Quoting CourtneyCS:

I do not think locking up formula is the answer. I do not agree with taking away a mothers freedom of choice.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Aug. 1, 2012 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this
But do you go to McDonald's now and order a salad and have them tell you that you'll never be satisfied with a salad, here's a cheeseburger instead an a fry? I get what you say. Educate then let the parents decided and I agree. But I also agree that if you are going to ff then you should have to ask for each bottle and not have it handed to you in surplus or I'd you say your going to bf have the nurses behind your back stick a bottle in babies mouth because it's easier for them.

Quoting CourtneyCS:

I realize this however I would equate it to this; Let's say I want to go and buy a cheeseburger at McDonalds, I know it is not good for me and would not want a lecture about the bad things about a cheeseburger vs a salad everytime I go to order this cheeseburger. I believe that we all have freedom of choice and even if I do not agree with that choice I do not think it is our place to try to guilt people into making those choices I would prefer them to make. This is a larger issue to me, if we start with formula then what is next? What other choice will I be chastised for? Will I be scorned for being a working mother instead of a stay at home mother? As I stated I am very pro-bfing however I do not feel this is the way to get the word out/educate people, if anything I think this will make people resentful of it.

Quoting AudlyLuvly:

It's not taking choice away. Formula will still be available, just not as easily accessable. And they are making sure mothers are making informed decisions.

Quoting CourtneyCS:

I do not think locking up formula is the answer. I do not agree with taking away a mothers freedom of choice.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Quoting CourtneyCS:

I realize this however I would equate it to this; Let's say I want to go and buy a cheeseburger at McDonalds, I know it is not good for me and would not want a lecture about the bad things about a cheeseburger vs a salad everytime I go to order this cheeseburger.

But would you want them to shove the salad at you no matter what you said? What if they say they can't cook you the cheeseburger because it's too much work for them and they'd rather hand you that prepackaged salad?

You'd think they're not doing their jobs, right?

That's what's happening too often with formula; the mom says she wants to nurse, but formula gets shoved at her regardless because it's prepackaged. Working to help mom breastfeed is too much trouble in too many places. We've seen it so so so many times.

The idea of locking up the formula is not to take the choice away from the mom. It's to make sure the nurses and doctors DO THEIR JOB and cook the damn cheeseburgers... er, help mom with breastfeeding.

clusterkid
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I honestly think all of this is ridiculous.I don't think it will change most minds about how they feed.

With the one son I chose to ff from the beginning I brought formula with me to the hospital because I didn't know they offered it and I can see a lot of  moms will bf while they are in the hospital to please the staff and then come home and getting WIC to just pay for the formula. 

If a mother has decided they want to ff they are going to do it.

Trying to "force" them into it won't work, they need more education to help them make the choice.

Allie63005
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 7:42 AM

BUMP!

lorsmommy08
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 11:02 AM

A lot of WIC's are changing how they handle their formula dispensing as well, though. Some of them won't give formula until after a certain amount of time, unless there's a prescription is what I've heard. I don't know. I do know I got an AWESOME package for EBF..

Quoting clusterkid:

I honestly think all of this is ridiculous.I don't think it will change most minds about how they feed.

With the one son I chose to ff from the beginning I brought formula with me to the hospital because I didn't know they offered it and I can see a lot of  moms will bf while they are in the hospital to please the staff and then come home and getting WIC to just pay for the formula. 

Trying to "force" them into it won't work, they need more education to help them make the choice.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Aug. 10, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Here in CA, they won't give formula for at least a month without a doctor's note. They also do NOT provide enough formula to last the whole month, so the parents still have to buy some.

Quoting lorsmommy08:

A lot of WIC's are changing how they handle their formula dispensing as well, though. Some of them won't give formula until after a certain amount of time, unless there's a prescription is what I've heard. I don't know. I do know I got an AWESOME package for EBF..

Quoting clusterkid:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AudlyLuvly
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't understand how being informed on risks/benefits equals being ridiculed.

Quoting mmkay76:

I love your answer. I breast feed and love it, but some women just can't for a variety of reasons. I believe everyone should try, but if formula feeding is their preference then they should be allowed that decision without ridicule. And nurses in all hospitals should respect the mother's wishes no matter what they are.

Quoting robibuni:

I don't think it should be locked up. Women have a choice and some choose to FF and others choose to BF. I know my opinion won't be popular on here but I don't care how others feed their baby so long as its fed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
helema24
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

yes but they still hand you the "breastfeeding" bag whivh in many cases has several samples of formula coupons for formula and information on why that formula is the best....with one tiny pamplet about bf....its like they expect you to fail!

Quoting havensmommy820:

Don't all hospitals ask u if u plan to ff or bf? In my hospital they do

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 10, 2012 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this
People are misunderstanding the policy. If a mom wants to ff then she is given the formula, its the formula for the bf babies that locked up. That way no nurse can force a bottle of formula on a baby without moms consent and knowledge as well as a doctors
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN