Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

okay would like advice on weaning. we have been bf for 16 months and the dr said to quit night feedings, but thats the hardest. during the day she can go without because she will drink juice and eat break fast lunch and dinner, but she has to nurse before naps before bed during bed and when she wakes up. she absolutely refuse to drink cows milk. i put chocolate in it, but she stil wont drink it. i dont want her to get tooth decay and also dont want to be bf a toddler. if anyone has delt with this issue pleaelet me know how you handled it. i do NOT believe in CIO.thanks

mom to an!

by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:38 PM
Replies (11-19):
Nicolle_09
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Im actually an exclusively pumping mom or well was I just weaned from the pump. BUT I have spent the last 3+ years researching and educating myself about everything related to breastfeeding, breastmilk and pumping. 

Quoting imamami05:

i havent really had a problem with him until this subject. i will not let her cry,but at the same time i don't want to urse forever. dont get me wrong, i enjoy the time, but im getting tired. but as far as night weaning, it just doesn't look like it is going to happebn ANY time soon...do you bf at night? if so how often?

Quoting Nicolle_09:

Quoting imamami05:

dr said this" i don't care how long you bf, ive seen themgo to schooland still opn the breast, though i wouldn't advise it, its up toyou.But as far as night nursing there is no reason you should be doing this. it can cause problems later. she can get tooth decay

wrong it fights decay, its the juices and other stuff that cause it and not taking care of the teeth by brushing them

and it will cause sleep problems later if she isolder

not true, alot of older kids of moms in this group bf into the toddler years and have no issues, your doctor is grouping kids into one group instead of looking at each child as an individual. 

.Babies on whole milk at this ageshouldn't be drinking any milk at night, by now your baby should besleeping through the night.

incorrect, a child doesnt even need cows milk and this doctor needs to stop grouping kids into one big group, hell i still get up in the middle of the night for a cup of milk or water, why should a child be any different

You wean when YOU are ready, but it is in my best interest that you wean the nighttime feedings

a lot of toddlers will only nurse at night, you childs and you are what matters, not what a doctor thinks.

."  i saidokaybut it is going to be hard because thats when she nurses most often and she will cry. he responded ith" and she is going to. after a few days she will eventually take the wholemilk. sounds to me like youre just not ready, but likei said itis up to you, just not at night."

no your child is not ready! if you force your child to wean then it will be a fight, there will be crying. 

Quoting Nicolle_09:

Why does the doctor want you to wean? Do you feel you need to wean? Its up to you whether you want to wean or not, not what a doctor says. 

Breastmilk prevents decay and bfing a toddle isnt like a baby, you can limit to just night time

This doctor of yours needs to be FIRED!!!!!!!!!! he is giving you nothing but incorrect and biased info and needs to be educated on the benefits of nursing.

TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I nurse my almost 16 month old on demand  - including through the night.  She wakes anywhere from 1-3 times.  My older children nursed at night until 15 and 18 months.  I have let each of my children wean themselves - during the day and at night.   Your Dr gave you some truly bad advice - I'm not surprised.  It's a rare gem of a Dr who has any education in breastfeeding  :/  There is no reason to wean at night unless YOU REALLY want to - It sounds like your lo is not ready, so if you DO want to night wean, it's going to be a struggle, and will likely cause some tears for all involved no matter how gentle you try to be  :/  At 16 months, they are still babies and don't understand why we would take away something they love so dearly. 

JMmama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:23 AM
As others have said, your doctor gave you terrible advice. That being said, when my 3rd was about 14/15 months old night nursing was starting to be a hassle for everyone involved. He wasn't hungry and wasn't nursing out of a need to eat, just out of need for comfort (and I am not downplaying the importance of comfort nursing). What I did was nurse him before bed but then if he woke up at night I would offer his paci first and snuggle with him (we cosleep). Sometimes he took the paci and went right back to sleep, sometimes he nursed a little. Eventually, he wasn't waking as much and would take the paci when he did wake up. Then I weaned him off the bedtime nurse. That actually ended up being easier than I thought it would be. Instead of me laying down with him at night, DH did and he didn't even ask for it. After a few days I could go in and lay down with him and he didnt ask for it. The whole process did take a few weeks though.

He would never drink cow's milk though. He still won't. Sometimes he will drink almond milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Quoting imamami05:

dr said this" i don't care how long you bf, ive seen themgo to schooland still opn the breast, though i wouldn't advise it, its up toyou.

In what country has he seen this?

But as far as night nursing there is no reason you should be doing this. it can cause problems later. she can get tooth decay and it will cause sleep problems later if she isolder.

Incorrect. http://www.brianpalmerdds.com/bfeed_caries.htm

Babies on whole milk at this ageshouldn't be drinking any milk at night, by now your baby should besleeping through the night.

Heh. I'm nearly 49 and don't sleep through the night! Unless I'm very sick. 

Sleeping "through the night" is a mere five hours, and there's no expected age for it to happen.

You wean when YOU are ready, but it is in my best interest that you wean the nighttime feedings."  i saidokaybut it is going to be hard because thats when she nurses most often and she will cry. he responded ith" and she is going to. after a few days she will eventually take the wholemilk. sounds to me like youre just not ready, but likei said itis up to you, just not at night."

Boy, he's making it sound like, "It's up to you but if you don't do what I say you're an idiot."

Sad thing is he's misinformed.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:32 AM

And to answer your cow's milk problem: Cow's milk is NOT needed. Water is dandy and healthier. The nutrients in cow's milk are available in the other foods you give.

If you want to wean, drop one feeding per week till gone. Fair warning: she won't like it and may well cry. So you may need to weigh whcih option you like more: Nursing a toddler or having said toddler cry to nurse.

imamami05
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:57 AM
4 moms liked this

ill stick to the nursing ;0)

Quoting gdiamante:

And to answer your cow's milk problem: Cow's milk is NOT needed. Water is dandy and healthier. The nutrients in cow's milk are available in the other foods you give.

If you want to wean, drop one feeding per week till gone. Fair warning: she won't like it and may well cry. So you may need to weigh whcih option you like more: Nursing a toddler or having said toddler cry to nurse.

mom to an!

mama02040608
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 4:37 AM
My youngest is the only one of my 4 that I nursed past a year. He nursed at night until he weaned at 2.5 yrs. He has no cavities at all. He does still sleep with us most nights, but he's not up and down. He climbs in with us and falls back to sleep. In my experience, rolling with your child's needs ends up with a better outcome than imposing some random "rules" at an arbitrary time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babymine
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 7:03 AM
I nursed my son until 40 months. He night nursed until he weaned himself. He has zero cavities. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suemayonline
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Please be aware that fluoride applied topically to teeth is good for them, strengthens them. However, fluoride ingested in water is BAD for teeth & bones!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN