Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

*UPDATE*help! My hubby really wants to start formula :(

Posted by   + Show Post

So my husband wants to give our 3 1/2 month old baby girl some formula at night. So she will sleep through the night. I feel so bad I have told him that she doesn't need it, but he is concerned because she will only sleep two hours and then needs to be feed then sleeps for like another 3 to four hours. I feel like that is enough for her. But people have been telling him that she should sleep like six hours at night. i do not know what to do tomorrow he is going to get formula. We have tried formula in the past but she threw up all night from it. I think its the baby telling us she hates it. Any suggestions on what to do would be greatly appreciated..

Btw my hubby wants to give her only one bottle at night. Then have me breast feed the rest of the time!

So here is the update

yes i spoke to him and told him how I felt and he said if I wanted to breastfeed that its fine with him. He was just worried about my sleep and how iritable I have been lately. So as long as I can feed I will. Not sure what will happen when I go back to work though. I do not know how I am going to build up my supply since I can't pump that much! I really appreciate all the input

by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 1:35 AM
Replies (21-30):
pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Aug. 2, 2012 at 4:24 AM
1 mom liked this
All I had to do with DS is show her the risks of formula and she said I was NEVER allowed to give any of our kids formula! Maybe that will work with him?
My SO is kind of an extreme breast feeding advocate now lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SaraSnider
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 4:55 AM
It goes by baby i think on how they sleep my dd was breast fed and slept 7hours after 7weeks idk if formula would make her sleep longer or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Aug. 2, 2012 at 5:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Sleep is individual to the baby not what they are fed. All my kids have drank breastmilk ds slept 12hr straight every night from 8 weeks on. Dd1 was up every 3-4hrs until 1 then 1-2 a night until 18mo. Dd2 is up every 30min-2hr shes 4 months.
Research the risks of ff. If you think increasing risk of sids, ruining virgin gut, potential worse sleep etc etc is worth it then go for it. If not tell him no
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Char07
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 7:10 AM
3 moms liked this
Daddy's opinion matters... If he has substantial research to back up his opinion as I do mine. Artificially filling up baby to get baby to sleep longer could be dangerous (increases chances of SIDS) so in this case unless he found a good reason to do it (and he wouldn't) then we won't. I really do agree but too often that opinion is based on what friends say, TV portrays, or some other inaccurate expectation of children/babies.

Quoting Livinwith3boys:

That child is your husband's also...and he should have a say in how she is fed! I don't agree with changing it just so she sleeps better, but I also hate moms that try to say their opinion is the only one that matters...that baby is just as much daddy's!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kitsun
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 7:16 AM
Somehow I've lucked out with ds2 sleeping ALL night since we came home from the hospital. He was strictly bf until I started having supply issues. Ds1 was ff all the way and ALWAYS woke up every 2 hours on the dot
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ILoveMyFam
by Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 7:25 AM
My ebf 6wk old baby sleeps 5-8 hr stretches at night. My last ebf baby didn't sleep through the night til she was 1 and 1/2. Method of feeding has little to do with how they sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sbreece
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 7:38 AM
This

Quoting Livinwith3boys:

That child is your husband's also...and he should have a say in how she is fed! I don't agree with changing it just so she sleeps better, but I also hate moms that try to say their opinion is the only one that matters...that baby is just as much daddy's!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 8:36 AM
3 moms liked this
So if he wanted to drive around holding her in the car it would be ok? Or smoke cigarettes while she was in the house? Or fry food while holding her at the stove?

Just because he is the father doesn't give him the exclusive right to do something that's WRONG. Baby is fine BF, baby has had a reaction to formula. Why so something potentially harmful to your child?

Quoting Livinwith3boys:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 8:43 AM
3 moms liked this
I have a problem without daddy getting a say for convenience (running errands) or selfishness (STTN) or listening to gossip and coming home and repeating it ("people say...").

I have no problem with involved fathers, but not uninformed dudes trying to mess up baby and mama without a good reason.

Quoting sbreece:

This

Quoting Livinwith3boys:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 9:33 AM
2 moms liked this

Before we ever had children, my husband and I came to the mutual agrement that the first 12 months of our future children's lives were MINE.  He's welcome to voice his opinions and concerns and we do talk about decisions that need to be made but during that first year, the final and potentially overriding vote belongs to me.  Because a nursing woman understands her body, her body's needs, and her baby's needs, far more intimately than husbands can even begin to understand.

I'm all about balance and discussion and compromise in relationships.  But babies under 12 months are MY babies and I make the decisions for them at that point.  Our parenting becomes much more equal after baby's 1st birthday.  We're on baby number 3 right now and this kind of plan has worked well since our first was born 4.5 years ago.

Quoting Livinwith3boys:

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN