Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Cereal and Formula for Preemie in NICU..wth? Eta* **update**

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:30 AM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this
My cousin delivered her son nearly two months ago at 30 weeks 5 days. She is exclusively pumping for him, since he is still on a feeding tube due to possible vocal chord paralysis after surgery to help close a heart valve.

I guess he is now dealing with acid reflux, and they want to put him on formula with cereal. I told her first of all, they can mix BM with cereal if they really think it is necessary, but really? Cereal for a preemie? All he has ever had is BM, I cannot imagine this would be good for him. DD had acid reflux too, and the cereal only made it worse so we stopped but she was 4 months old. He hasnt even reached his due date!

She is really having a hard time with some of the negligent nurses. A couple of examples: leaving him in a wet diaper for a couple hours (a day or 2 after his surgery) and trying to push more sedatives since he was "fussy." He was fine 5 minutes after dad changed his diaper... Knowing he has acid reflux and tube feeding him while he is lying down. And mom is fighting them about something every other day.

Anyone have any information or experience with this? I told her I would personally fight them tooth and nail on this one.

ETA: Forgot to mention they want to also put him on Reglan (this is a horrible medication with really bad side-effects) and zantac.

**update**I just spoke with my other cousin (mama's sister) and apparently she had cussed the nurses out and he is back on mama's milk. I am not sure if it is still fortified but he is 5 lbs 2 oz so I do not think that is necessary any more. This just cracks me up because this is sooo unlike her to be cussing anyone out. But hey when it is your child's life, I do not blame her!!
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom24munchkins
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:34 AM
No way. They told me to put dd on it at like 6 weeks, I was young (20, she was my first) and I stupidly agreed. It TORE her poor tummy up and at 9 she STILL has issues :/ If they leave him laying down during/after feedings thats likely what causes a lot of the problem anyways.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoganTroyMom
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:37 AM
absoloutely fight them tooth and nail! ugh! that really gets my goat!
SAHM927
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:37 AM
I am sorry to hear that :( I hope she really fights them on it. It just sounds ridiculous!
Quoting Mom24munchkins:

No way. They told me to put dd on it at like 6 weeks, I was young (20, she was my first) and I stupidly agreed. It TORE her poor tummy up and at 9 she STILL has issues :/ If they leave him laying down during/after feedings thats likely what causes a lot of the problem anyways.

SAHM927
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:38 AM
Me too. Got my blood boiling...
Quoting LoganTroyMom:

absoloutely fight them tooth and nail! ugh! that really gets my goat!

devoesgirl
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I dont know a lot about babies in nicu but I do know adults on tube feedings should never be laid flat. I would assume the same goes for babies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SAHM927
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:42 AM
He is slightly elevated in his bed, but he really needs to be completely upright, during and after his feeding. I know when mom is there she does it, but she cant be there 24/7 so she relies on the nurses...
Quoting devoesgirl:

I dont know a lot about babies in nicu but I do know adults on tube feedings should never be laid flat. I would assume the same goes for babies

Liebevoll_mami
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

when my mom was in a medically induced coma they didnt have her laid flat on her back......i cant imagine that would be good for a baby either =/

LoganTroyMom
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:43 AM
this is why i really dislike most nurses. i know there are great ones but just about every one i've met was a total bitch who had no idea what she was doing!
SAHM927
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this
They have some good nurses too. But she said it seems like some just don't enjoy their jobs.. and I am sorry but when a family is relying on you to take care of your child who has been struggling for their life since birth and you can't step it up, it is time to find a new job.
Quoting LoganTroyMom:

this is why i really dislike most nurses. i know there are great ones but just about every one i've met was a total bitch who had no idea what she was doing!

LoganTroyMom
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:52 AM
yeah, i mean there are many great kind helpful nurses but some give the rest a bad name, it's like they have a complex because they're not a dr!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN