Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

When my oldest suddenly wants to BF to because she sees her brother.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 8:56 PM
Replies (11-19):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:14 PM

You posted at a slow time.. thsu not many answers.

Pretty much EVERY BABY ON EARTH does this! You may let her try, you may say no. Whatever you'd like to do. No wrong answer (except hitting the baby).

Quoting AugustMidge:

Have any of you ever had to deal with this kind of issue? I can't be the only one, right?

AugustMidge
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Thank you!

mamabens
by Miranda on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Not gonna hurt to let her try. How long has it been since she nursed? If it's been a while she probably has lost her suck reflex &  will try & be done.

AugustMidge
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 10:56 PM

About ten months.

Quoting mamabens:

Not gonna hurt to let her try. How long has it been since she nursed? If it's been a while she probably has lost her suck reflex &  will try & be done.

SouthTxPrincess
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:29 PM
My dd2 is two and a half and wanted to nurse, I had expressed into a cup and squirted it in her mouth before but she still asked, so I let her she sucked once then stopped and just kinda kissed it and got up. She hasn't asked again. She was only bf'ed for three weeks so it wasn't like she remembered doing it either. Don't worry about it from what I hear lots of kids do this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ikesmommy200
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:36 PM
I dealt with it when the baby was first born. I am not going to begin nursing my 3 yr old again. If you're not comfortable with it explain she's your big girl and she can't then point out how she can help you. I hope it works. Mine only asked the once but he's a lot older so understands more

Quoting AugustMidge:

Have any of you ever had to deal with this kind of issue? I can't be the only one, right?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 12:45 AM
There is a really good chance that she wants to hear that the answer is yes more than she actually wants to nurse. I've heard that often when a toddler asks in this case, when mom says yes they don't know what to do and never ask again.

My DS weaned at 14 months. At 17 months his brother was born. He asked to nurse. I said yes, he kissed my chest right above my breast, smiled, put my shirt down and walked away. He never asked again.

You know how toddlers hate to hear no! Consider saying yes and see what happens, there is a good chance all it will do is end the asking (though if you've already been saying no he may ask a few more times to see if you really meant it when you said yes).
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 5, 2012 at 12:52 AM

My dd turned 3 years old and still nurses 1-2 times a day, so there isn't anything at all strange to me about a 1.5 year old who still wants to nurse. It's obviously up to your comfort level how you can handle this; either let her try, satisfy her curiosity and move on (or she could actually have some success) or you can tell her no. But she is still very young in the scheme of how long babies will keep nursing if mom doesn't make efforts to wean earlier.

Quoting AugustMidge:

1.5 and 11 days. She stopped BFing when she was 8 mo. I think she is just curious. She tries to lift my shirt and my cover when I am BF (public or home) or pokes at my boobs. Most importantly she does her "wide open mouth" cue of I want some. She talks but she still does her silent cues. 

Quoting Eviesmommy:

How old is she?

AugustMidge
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 1:08 AM

I wouldn't think its odd if she kept nursing all this time but its been 10 months since she's nursed. I wouldn't think she'd be interested but then curiousity is in our nature. :) I might just let her try.

I also want to point out contrary to what most assume I didn't STOP her from nursing. She just seemed to lose interest in it.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

My dd turned 3 years old and still nurses 1-2 times a day, so there isn't anything at all strange to me about a 1.5 year old who still wants to nurse. It's obviously up to your comfort level how you can handle this; either let her try, satisfy her curiosity and move on (or she could actually have some success) or you can tell her no. But she is still very young in the scheme of how long babies will keep nursing if mom doesn't make efforts to wean earlier.

Quoting AugustMidge:

1.5 and 11 days. She stopped BFing when she was 8 mo. I think she is just curious. She tries to lift my shirt and my cover when I am BF (public or home) or pokes at my boobs. Most importantly she does her "wide open mouth" cue of I want some. She talks but she still does her silent cues. 

Quoting Eviesmommy:

How old is she?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)