Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I honestly believe that this is out of line and that forumla companies shouldn't be printing this on their boxes.

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:24 PM
  • 195 Replies
1 mom liked this

I bought formula about a month ago.

Not that I need to explain myself but I will anyway.

I was having problems breastfeeding my son, who's a month and a week old.

I started EBF when he turned 2 weeks.

So anyways, I bought formula as a back up in case I couldn't BF.

Well, last week, I read on the box that it said: "breastfeeding is the best."

Even though that I now EBF, I still find that offensive.

Here's why:

there are mothers out there who try like hell to bf but can't because of medical reasons or maybe because they aren't producing enough.

whatever the case may be, i feel that is a really shitty thing to put on a box of forumla.

i feel that it would make a mother feel shitty about having to use the formula.

it's bad enough that they feel like a failure because their body failed at being about to bf but now they have to put up with society having to remind her all of the time how SHE is a shitty mom because SHE failed at being able to breastfeed.

i honestly think that it's out of line and that the Enfamil company has no right printing that on their boxes.

even if nothing was wrong with her and she just decided that she didn't want to bf, who the hell cares!! that's her decision, why cause her to feel guilty about that shit??

i can understand how it would be ok to encourage her to bf but if she doesn't want to or can't then just respect it. but don't rub it in her face.

the thing that i don't understand is: why would a formula company try to encourage mothers to breastfeed? they would be losing money that way.

it's like the cigarette company printing on each pack of cigarettes that smoking is bad and you shouldn't do it.

why would they try to encourage that? they are the ones that would be losing out on money. I was going to take a picture of it to post on here but i gave the box away to my neighbor because her co-worker formula feeds her week old daughter, so i gave it away.

by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaNeeNee
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:26 PM
22 moms liked this
Boobs are made to produce milk.. Women just don't try hard enough. I don't take offense to it all.

And it's the truth... Breast IS best.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sofia0587
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree and they're only telling the truth.

Quoting MamaNeeNee:

Boobs are made to produce milk.. Women just don't try hard enough. I don't take offense to it all.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:31 PM
20 moms liked this
They are required by law to print that or something similar on their formula. Its not that they want to promote bfing or run guilt trips at all. And honestly for women who have to use formula because they have no choice there should be no guilt..formula is there for a reason, its a medical intervention, babies gotta eat
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:31 PM
7 moms liked this
I think they HAVE to put that on the box, like cigarettes HAVE to post warnings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amiesmomma
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:32 PM
3 moms liked this
They have to put that on there. In the past, formula companies ran very misleading ad campaigns saying formula was better than breast milk. They also placed formula and powdered milk together leading to confusion and sick babies. In developing countries they still do that. Breast feeding IS best but they try like hell to gloss over that fact. It's an attempt to keep them honest.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LittleUtahMommy
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I understand what you're saying, definitely. But no one should be taking a label personally. Its just stating the facts. If someone can't for one reason or another, they should know that and not be worried about what anyone has to say about that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:37 PM
11 moms liked this

Quoting vinalex0581:

I bought formula about a month ago.

Not that I need to explain myself but I will anyway.

I was having problems breastfeeding my son, who's a month and a week old.

I started EBF when he turned 2 weeks.

So anyways, I bought formula as a back up in case I couldn't BF.

It's a common action by new moms.

Well, last week, I read on the box that it said: "breastfeeding is the best."

As required by law.

Even though that I now EBF, I still find that offensive.

We don't have the right to not be offended. Indeed, we are obligated to be offended in defense of our right to be heard. But believe me, no formula comany would put that on their labels if they weren't forced into it by the Food and Drug Administration.

Here's why:

there are mothers out there who try like hell to bf but can't because of medical reasons or maybe because they aren't producing enough.

whatever the case may be, i feel that is a really shitty thing to put on a box of forumla.

Yes there are times when a mom HAS to use formula... and if you've done the homework and know you've done as much as you can, there's nothing to feel guilty about. Only YOU can choose guilt. And if you haven't killed soemthing, there's no reason to feel it.

i feel that it would make a mother feel shitty about having to use the formula.

it's bad enough that they feel like a failure

Only failure is when you kill the baby by not feeding... or intentionally act. So... Andrea Yates is a failure. Vinalex is not.

because their body failed at being about to bf but now they have to put up with society having to remind her all of the time how SHE is a shitty mom because SHE failed at being able to breastfeed.

i honestly think that it's out of line and that the Enfamil company has no right printing that on their boxes.

Again... they do it beause they are required to. It's like the Surgeon General's warning on tobacco or the side effect warning on meds.

even if nothing was wrong with her and she just decided that she didn't want to bf, who the hell cares!! that's her decision, why cause her to feel guilty about that shit??

i can understand how it would be ok to encourage her to bf but if she doesn't want to or can't then just respect it. but don't rub it in her face.

the thing that i don't understand is: why would a formula company try to encourage mothers to breastfeed? they would be losing money that way.

it's like the cigarette company printing on each pack of cigarettes that smoking is bad and you shouldn't do it.

why would they try to encourage that? they are the ones that would be losing out on money. I was going to take a picture of it to post on here but i gave the box away to my neighbor because her co-worker formula feeds her week old daughter, so i gave it away.

It's the law. That simple. IT IS THE LAW. Trust me, they woudn't do it if they didn't have to.

But tell me this: Did you read the ingredients list? A chemical hodgepodge, and that's what should truly be alarming.

ginnyk87
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I really don't think they are trying to offend women or make then feel inferior to bfing moms. I think they have to post it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperMom2433
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:39 PM
3 moms liked this
I agree with these two ladies. :)

Quoting sofia0587:

I agree and they're only telling the truth.

Quoting MamaNeeNee:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Honey_Comb
by Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:40 PM
2 moms liked this
This. I failed twice because of lack of knowledge! But the word should be spread that breast is best because there are women who dont try at all.

Quoting MamaNeeNee:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN