Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I honestly believe that this is out of line and that forumla companies shouldn't be printing this on their boxes.

Posted by   + Show Post

I bought formula about a month ago.

Not that I need to explain myself but I will anyway.

I was having problems breastfeeding my son, who's a month and a week old.

I started EBF when he turned 2 weeks.

So anyways, I bought formula as a back up in case I couldn't BF.

Well, last week, I read on the box that it said: "breastfeeding is the best."

Even though that I now EBF, I still find that offensive.

Here's why:

there are mothers out there who try like hell to bf but can't because of medical reasons or maybe because they aren't producing enough.

whatever the case may be, i feel that is a really shitty thing to put on a box of forumla.

i feel that it would make a mother feel shitty about having to use the formula.

it's bad enough that they feel like a failure because their body failed at being about to bf but now they have to put up with society having to remind her all of the time how SHE is a shitty mom because SHE failed at being able to breastfeed.

i honestly think that it's out of line and that the Enfamil company has no right printing that on their boxes.

even if nothing was wrong with her and she just decided that she didn't want to bf, who the hell cares!! that's her decision, why cause her to feel guilty about that shit??

i can understand how it would be ok to encourage her to bf but if she doesn't want to or can't then just respect it. but don't rub it in her face.

the thing that i don't understand is: why would a formula company try to encourage mothers to breastfeed? they would be losing money that way.

it's like the cigarette company printing on each pack of cigarettes that smoking is bad and you shouldn't do it.

why would they try to encourage that? they are the ones that would be losing out on money. I was going to take a picture of it to post on here but i gave the box away to my neighbor because her co-worker formula feeds her week old daughter, so i gave it away.

by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Replies (31-40):
moroccanmommy
by Robin on Aug. 5, 2012 at 7:23 AM
4 moms liked this
I agree..and I add..
if formula was not available as a fall back moms wouldn't have the option of artificially feeding. We need to trust ourself. Nurse maids/donor milk would be no big deal etc...
I only made it with my oldest a few months. I had shitty info and access to free formula.
Ladies don't just dry up. This is often confused with growth spurts and temporary hormone drops.
Ff doesn't make you or anyone a shitty mom. Not feeding a baby makes someone shitty.
I believe When woman have access to more info they tend to do better at bf.
Some moms
suppliment..some moms just nurse
at night. Every drop of bM counts..its not all or nothing.
I do think its shitty of woman who don't bother to even try.because they .say its gross etc..
I've heard all the excuses. 90%are just excuses

Quoting MamaNeeNee:

Boobs are made to produce milk.. Women just don't try hard enough. I don't take offense to it all.

And it's the truth... Breast IS best.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xomrs.chase
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this
*hugs* its rare but it happens.

I almost lost my milk due to bad advice and lack of knowledge

Quoting Rowdys.Mommy:

You are wrong... I was totally unable to breast feed... Medical issues and complications from epidural, csection, and internal bleeding had me on lots of medications for a very long time that I could not pass on in the milk and dried me up.

Quoting MamaNeeNee:

Boobs are made to produce milk.. Women just don't try hard enough. I don't take offense to it all.

And it's the truth... Breast IS best.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Aug. 5, 2012 at 8:03 AM
4 moms liked this
I think your pretty awesome!! :)

Quoting larissalarie:

OH are you just looking for reasons to become offended! Lord help your husband/family/friends! You do realize that its a CHOICE to become offended? It is an undisputable FACT that human breastmilk is what's best for human babies. Period. For years scientists thought they had cleverly designed something better than what nature designed and they and Corporate America lied to the public about their product being superior to what mom naturally produced. They make millions, if not billions a year from that lie.
Sorry that the breastmilk of a cow filled with fake nutrients being inferior to breastmilk offends you. That means YOU are insecure in your decisions.

Also, labeling it that way IS a positive marketing technique. The "best" is unattainable to the vast majority. Calling breastmilk the "best" instead of "normal" makes it seem out of reach to the average person. Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc are the "best", but who feels bad about not achieving that? Almost nobody. Same thing with formula. They call breastmilk the "best" because then it makes formula feel average & normal rather than inferior.

If you really want truth and offensiveness on formula, they should have to label it as INFERIOR nutrition. THAT would be the truth.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moroccanmommy
by Robin on Aug. 5, 2012 at 8:49 AM
4 moms liked this
Agreed

Quoting melindabelcher:

Quoting larissalarie:

OH are you just looking for reasons to become offended! Lord help your husband/family/friends! You do realize that its a CHOICE to become offended? It is an undisputable FACT that human breastmilk is what's best for human babies. Period. For years scientists thought they had cleverly designed something better than what nature designed and they and Corporate America lied to the public about their product being superior to what mom naturally produced. They make millions, if not billions a year from that lie.
Sorry that the breastmilk of a cow filled with fake nutrients being inferior to breastmilk offends you. That means YOU are insecure in your decisions.

Also, labeling it that way IS a positive marketing technique. The "best" is unattainable to the vast majority. Calling breastmilk the "best" instead of "normal" makes it seem out of reach to the average person. Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc are the "best", but who feels bad about not achieving that? Almost nobody. Same thing with formula. They call breastmilk the "best" because then it makes formula feel average & normal rather than inferior.

If you really want truth and offensiveness on formula, they should have to label it as INFERIOR nutrition. THAT would be the truth.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zannahdeux
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting tabi_cat1023:

They are required by law to print that or something similar on their formula. Its not that they want to promote bfing or run guilt trips at all. And honestly for women who have to use formula because they have no choice there should be no guilt..formula is there for a reason, its a medical intervention, babies gotta eat

This. The FDA mandates that they do it because so many women are uneducated and think formula and breast milk are the same. Becauseof all the advertising dollars they spend they are required to educate women on what is best.
mypbandj
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:31 AM
2 moms liked this

Believe me, the formula companies WANT you to formula feed! They aren't printing that to hurt your feelings or to make you feel bad. They do it b/c they have to. If they could get away w/ it, they'd put something like: don't worry if bf didn't work for you, formula is much better anyway.

justone_jen
by Jen on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:32 AM
5 moms liked this
I disagree. It's the truth and it's required by law, much like cigarettes.

Formula isn't the only alternative, should a woman fit that tiny percentage of women who truly can't physically breastfeed, either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2Tara
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:32 AM
4 moms liked this
You said it perfectly! I love you. Op the only thing that you should be offended about is holding the can close enough to read it! Yuck

Quoting larissalarie:OH are you just looking for reasons to become offended! Lord help your husband/family/friends! You do realize that its a CHOICE to become offended? It is an undisputable FACT that human breastmilk is what's best for human babies. Period. For years scientists thought they had cleverly designed something better than what nature designed and they and Corporate America lied to the public about their product being superior to what mom naturally produced. They make millions, if not billions a year from that lie. Sorry that the breastmilk of a cow filled with fake nutrients being inferior to breastmilk offends you. That means YOU are insecure in your decisions. Also, labeling it that way IS a positive marketing technique. The "best" is unattainable to the vast majority. Calling breastmilk the "best" instead of "normal" makes it seem out of reach to the average person. Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc are the "best", but who feels bad about not achieving that? Almost nobody. Same thing with formula. They call breastmilk the "best" because then it makes formula feel average & normal rather than inferior. If you really want truth and offensiveness on formula, they should have to label it as INFERIOR nutrition. THAT would be the truth.
Hyman
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:35 AM
3 moms liked this
Even though my heart goes out to mothers who try and cannot succeed at bf'ing, I love that it says that.

I wish donor milk was more popular and would be what mothers turn to instead of formula.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:09 AM
2 moms liked this
•Blushes•
Awe, thanks!

Quoting melindabelcher:

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)