Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I honestly believe that this is out of line and that forumla companies shouldn't be printing this on their boxes.

Posted by   + Show Post

I bought formula about a month ago.

Not that I need to explain myself but I will anyway.

I was having problems breastfeeding my son, who's a month and a week old.

I started EBF when he turned 2 weeks.

So anyways, I bought formula as a back up in case I couldn't BF.

Well, last week, I read on the box that it said: "breastfeeding is the best."

Even though that I now EBF, I still find that offensive.

Here's why:

there are mothers out there who try like hell to bf but can't because of medical reasons or maybe because they aren't producing enough.

whatever the case may be, i feel that is a really shitty thing to put on a box of forumla.

i feel that it would make a mother feel shitty about having to use the formula.

it's bad enough that they feel like a failure because their body failed at being about to bf but now they have to put up with society having to remind her all of the time how SHE is a shitty mom because SHE failed at being able to breastfeed.

i honestly think that it's out of line and that the Enfamil company has no right printing that on their boxes.

even if nothing was wrong with her and she just decided that she didn't want to bf, who the hell cares!! that's her decision, why cause her to feel guilty about that shit??

i can understand how it would be ok to encourage her to bf but if she doesn't want to or can't then just respect it. but don't rub it in her face.

the thing that i don't understand is: why would a formula company try to encourage mothers to breastfeed? they would be losing money that way.

it's like the cigarette company printing on each pack of cigarettes that smoking is bad and you shouldn't do it.

why would they try to encourage that? they are the ones that would be losing out on money. I was going to take a picture of it to post on here but i gave the box away to my neighbor because her co-worker formula feeds her week old daughter, so i gave it away.

by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Replies (51-60):
aeroslove
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Agreed

Quoting MamaNeeNee:

Boobs are made to produce milk.. Women just don't try hard enough. I don't take offense to it all.

And it's the truth... Breast IS best.

vampire2007
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 1:10 PM
2 moms liked this
Gee let's go into the breastfeeding group and defend formula feeding and see how that goes over.....ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Aug. 5, 2012 at 1:23 PM
2 moms liked this

I do not like the phrase breast is best....breast is NOT best, it is the biological norm. Anyway, as you've been told several times, they wouldn't put it there unless they were forced & if a mom feels guilty then it's on her not the formula company for putting  a small statement on their  cans of overprocessed chemicals & sugar

RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh :( does she know cereal is bad or does she not know? I do agree I should have said that some are uneducated I apologize not all moms are lazy some simply just don't know!

Quoting birdiemom:

I disagree with your comment, I know someone who wanted to breastfeed, but was grossly uneducated and didn't think she was making enough. She was pumping exclusively, tired and weary and didn't know who to turn to for help. I'm sad that we weren't closer and she didn't come to me, but for all her effort she was not lazy. Now, on the other hand she is getting lazy since making the switch to formula 100% and putting cereal in her night time bottle in an attempts to get the baby to sleep better :-(

Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

Agree 100%. People who say they don't produce enough are just lazy & don't want to try! & there are not that many medical reasons why you CAN'T breastfeed!

Quoting MamaNeeNee:

Boobs are made to produce milk.. Women just don't try hard enough. I don't take offense to it all.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robbiesmommy99
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

As a mother who had to ff my first three kids, I do not find it offensive at all.  With all the hardcore bfin mom (no offense to anyone here of course) who claim that formula companies claim their stuff is BETTER than breastfeeding, they are merely letting their views known that they know that Breast is best.  They are not saying that you are any less of a mother if you end up hving to formula feed.  That's why the stuff is there.  But that is just my little opinion.  Oh, and as far as cigarettes, they do say it's bad.  Otherwise they wouldn't print the surgeon general's warning on it.  lol

krusesbaby
by Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh really???! And what do u have to back that up because breast is def better than powderd chemicals

Quoting mamabens:

I do not like the phrase breast is best....breast is NOT best, it is the biological norm. Anyway, as you've been told several times, they wouldn't put it there unless they were forced & if a mom feels guilty then it's on her not the formula company for putting  a small statement on their  cans of overprocessed chemicals & sugar

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
birdiemom
by Allison on Aug. 5, 2012 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

No, she's going off what her mom tells her to do... I made a nonjudgemental comment when she talked about it. I don't know if it made a difference.

Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

Oh :( does she know cereal is bad or does she not know? I do agree I should have said that some are uneducated I apologize not all moms are lazy some simply just don't know!

Quoting birdiemom:

I disagree with your comment, I know someone who wanted to breastfeed, but was grossly uneducated and didn't think she was making enough. She was pumping exclusively, tired and weary and didn't know who to turn to for help. I'm sad that we weren't closer and she didn't come to me, but for all her effort she was not lazy. Now, on the other hand she is getting lazy since making the switch to formula 100% and putting cereal in her night time bottle in an attempts to get the baby to sleep better :-(

Quoting RaLeighsMommy11:

Agree 100%. People who say they don't produce enough are just lazy & don't want to try! & there are not that many medical reasons why you CAN'T breastfeed!

Quoting MamaNeeNee:

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM
5 moms liked this
She means breast isn't "best" because it's supposed to be the STANDARD (perfect) baseline. Anything else is INFERIOR. Saying "breast is best" infers than formula is standard and actually degrades breastfeeding. She is totally pro-breastfeeding!

Quoting krusesbaby:

Oh really???! And what do u have to back that up because breast is def better than powderd chemicals

Quoting mamabens:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robbiesmommy99
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 1:55 PM
2 moms liked this

And the thing I do like about companies like enfamil is they o promote breastfeeding, even on their site.  They offer information you can turn to should you have questions or isses with bfing suchs thewebsite for LLL.  I don't fault anyone for not being able to bf, whether it's because they are uneducated about it (I am guilty of such), or because of medical reasons (also guilty of such).  As long as the baby is thriving, why should anyone care? I am just happy to see companies such as enfamil taking steps to give mothers information for bfing help nd such.  It's a good step in the right direction.  :)

piwife
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 1:58 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't find it offensive and I ff my first after I nurse for 4 mts... its the truth formula sucks!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)