Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I honestly believe that this is out of line and that forumla companies shouldn't be printing this on their boxes.

Posted by   + Show Post

I bought formula about a month ago.

Not that I need to explain myself but I will anyway.

I was having problems breastfeeding my son, who's a month and a week old.

I started EBF when he turned 2 weeks.

So anyways, I bought formula as a back up in case I couldn't BF.

Well, last week, I read on the box that it said: "breastfeeding is the best."

Even though that I now EBF, I still find that offensive.

Here's why:

there are mothers out there who try like hell to bf but can't because of medical reasons or maybe because they aren't producing enough.

whatever the case may be, i feel that is a really shitty thing to put on a box of forumla.

i feel that it would make a mother feel shitty about having to use the formula.

it's bad enough that they feel like a failure because their body failed at being about to bf but now they have to put up with society having to remind her all of the time how SHE is a shitty mom because SHE failed at being able to breastfeed.

i honestly think that it's out of line and that the Enfamil company has no right printing that on their boxes.

even if nothing was wrong with her and she just decided that she didn't want to bf, who the hell cares!! that's her decision, why cause her to feel guilty about that shit??

i can understand how it would be ok to encourage her to bf but if she doesn't want to or can't then just respect it. but don't rub it in her face.

the thing that i don't understand is: why would a formula company try to encourage mothers to breastfeed? they would be losing money that way.

it's like the cigarette company printing on each pack of cigarettes that smoking is bad and you shouldn't do it.

why would they try to encourage that? they are the ones that would be losing out on money. I was going to take a picture of it to post on here but i gave the box away to my neighbor because her co-worker formula feeds her week old daughter, so i gave it away.

by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Replies (61-70):
vwd_johnson
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I 100% agree with you OP!!!!!!!!

It's so refreshing to see a non-judgemental nutjob in this group, because most of the moms in here are BF psycho's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrisnmandysmom
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM
2 moms liked this

It's not necessarily lack of caring or trying. With my first daughter I wasn't able to produce. I was severely dehydrated from hyperemsis gravidarium and preeclampsia during my pregnancy, I had to be hospitalized for dehydration at least 5 times. Once she was born I simply could not produce any milk. I tried everything the doctors and lactation consultants told me but I was just too sick. 

Then it turned out my daughter was allergic to dairy so I was screwed two ways. I had cut it out of my diet mostly but formula didn't work either - we had to switch to soy. It was the only thing she could eat without being violently sick. 

There are exceptions to the rule, keep that in mind. 

Quoting MamaNeeNee:

Boobs are made to produce milk.. Women just don't try hard enough. I don't take offense to it all.

And it's the truth... Breast IS best.

Rowdys.Mommy
by Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I pumped for.months... never got more than 2 oz

Quoting MamaNeeNee:

That's a unique case.. But you did produce milk and if it weren't for that you very well could have bf..

Quoting Rowdys.Mommy:

You are wrong... I was totally unable to breast feed... Medical issues and complications from epidural, csection, and internal bleeding had me on lots of medications for a very long time that I could not pass on in the milk and dried me up.

Quoting MamaNeeNee:

Boobs are made to produce milk.. Women just don't try hard enough. I don't take offense to it all.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrisnmandysmom
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I know how you feel. I tried with both my first and second and it didn't work out. My third is my last and so far she's doing wonderfully bfing. My first daughter was allergic to dairy and I was dehydrated so neither I worked, nor standard formula. We finally got her on Soy formula and she magically got better. (poor girl) she was so sick! 

You can only do what you can do, and I understand about the lack of desire as well. When my son was born I had 0 desire to bf. My mom and grandmother both bottlefed their babies so in my family it was not high priority. I was working part time and in school full time when he was born so I didn't have time/energy/desire. He thrived on formula so it was no big deal. 

He's 18 now and my first daughter is almost 9. Since my new baby is my very last baby, I wanted to give it a shot. She is a preemie and I suffered a very challenging pregnancy so, with her, everything is a challenge anyway! It helps that I pump. I always seem to have enough for her but since I pump my kids and husband can feed her too. And, my husband takes over for a few hours so I can get a nap in! 

Hugs to you!

Chris_n_Mandy_n_Abby's Mom

Kenre
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I was never offended by it when I gave my sons formula. I think you read too much into it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kimbyann
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 2:48 PM
3 moms liked this
The normal amount is .5-2 oz I thought?

Quoting Rowdys.Mommy:

I pumped for.months... never got more than 2 oz

Quoting MamaNeeNee:

That's a unique case.. But you did produce milk and if it weren't for that you very well could have bf..

Quoting Rowdys.Mommy:

You are wrong... I was totally unable to breast feed... Medical issues and complications from epidural, csection, and internal bleeding had me on lots of medications for a very long time that I could not pass on in the milk and dried me up.

Quoting MamaNeeNee:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 5, 2012 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

By no means was she lazy. Exclusively pumping moms are nowhere near it. Problem with exclusive pumping is that it looks like the easy way to go... then it becomes the hard hard way as mom has to work harder and harder to stay in one place.

Women who manage that for a year or more amaze me.

Quoting birdiemom:

I disagree with your comment, I know someone who wanted to breastfeed, but was grossly uneducated and didn't think she was making enough. She was pumping exclusively, tired and weary and didn't know who to turn to for help. I'm sad that we weren't closer and she didn't come to me, but for all her effort she was not lazy. Now, on the other hand she is getting lazy since making the switch to formula 100% and putting cereal in her night time bottle in an attempts to get the baby to sleep better :-(
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 5, 2012 at 2:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Actually, mamabens' statement is correct. Powdered chemicals are not the norm. Breast is.

We already know that receiving nutrients in non-natural states (such as vitamins and minerals) are not as good as when you get it from a varied diet of proteins and lots of green leafy vegetables.

Formula provides nutrients in a non-natural state.

Quoting krusesbaby:

Oh really???! And what do u have to back that up because breast is def better than powderd chemicals

Quoting mamabens:

I do not like the phrase breast is best....breast is NOT best, it is the biological norm. Anyway, as you've been told several times, they wouldn't put it there unless they were forced & if a mom feels guilty then it's on her not the formula company for putting  a small statement on their  cans of overprocessed chemicals & sugar

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 5, 2012 at 2:56 PM
3 moms liked this

You can choose to be offended. Doesn't change the federal law. You might call your congressman or woman.

Quoting vwd_johnson:

I 100% agree with you OP!!!!!!!!

It's so refreshing to see a non-judgemental nutjob in this group, because most of the moms in here are BF psycho's.

birdiemom
by Allison on Aug. 5, 2012 at 2:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I only pump while at work (36hrs/week) and that is more than enough for me. EP moms should get a medal, or at least a nice bottle of wine, lol!

Quoting gdiamante:

By no means was she lazy. Exclusively pumping moms are nowhere near it. Problem with exclusive pumping is that it looks like the easy way to go... then it becomes the hard hard way as mom has to work harder and harder to stay in one place.

Women who manage that for a year or more amaze me.

Quoting birdiemom:

I disagree with your comment, I know someone who wanted to breastfeed, but was grossly uneducated and didn't think she was making enough. She was pumping exclusively, tired and weary and didn't know who to turn to for help. I'm sad that we weren't closer and she didn't come to me, but for all her effort she was not lazy. Now, on the other hand she is getting lazy since making the switch to formula 100% and putting cereal in her night time bottle in an attempts to get the baby to sleep better :-(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)