Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is it a hoax?

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 5:43 PM
  • 187 Replies
2 moms liked this

Can anyone point me to some statistics on studies that were done on breastfed babies vs. formula fed babies, resulting in the "Breast is Best" idea? I'm not saying that breast is not best, but I would like to see some actual numbers.. how they got those numbers, etc. One reason I'm wondering about this is.. my son was formula fed, and he never got sick that I can remember, other than colic, which started at about 3 months old and didn't last very long. Also, I'll add that he was born in the dead of winter on a January 1st. He is now 18 years old and out of the house, by the way. However, my 3-week old breastfed baby is presently having some sinus troubles, a slight fever, and mucous draining into her throat at night is making it difficult for her to breathe and sleep. I'm only speaking from MY experience, but so far I'm just not understanding how she can be sick if "breast is best." Does anyone know where I can find actual studies that were done? I'd like to know if they took parents' prior medical history into account as well.

EDIT:

I have plenty of links now. :) Thank you to everyone who offered stories, sharing their own experiences, and a huge thank you to all who gave me appropriate links to study over. I have enough to keep me busy for a long, long time. 

After having read through some of the links, I have come to the conclusion that YES, BREAST IS BEST. :) In some instances, the margin of "best" is small, and in other instances, the margin of "best" is large. There are even a few instances where breast actually is not best. However, these instances are few. All in all, though, my conclusion is that BREAST IS BEST. 

by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kLynch315
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 5:46 PM
I dunno. My ff child has always been healthy. So has my bf baby. I think I just make healthy kids with good immune systems. I've known sickly bf and ff kids. I was ff and have always been healthy. I've not had any health issues thus far in my life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaCat1121
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Maybe its just allergies....its a different type of year than your first. Breast is best for numerous reasons. Google breast is best and it'll bring up sooooooo much stuff. It's natural and meant for baby. Plus you can't compare two babies even if they're related....neither two are the same.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Aug. 5, 2012 at 5:57 PM
2 moms liked this

http://bfcaa.com/breastfeeding-what-does-the-research-say/

This is one link, but your going to have to search around and try to find studies. Breastfeeding isn't a gurrantee that your child will be healthy, have no allergies etc but formula has risks of causing these.

BridgetMc
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 5:59 PM
I don't have links for studies but hopefully someone will be able to help you there. Both my daughters have been EBF. My older was sick so often. Colds, stomach bugs, allergies... She's six now and we go at the end of the month to have her tonsils removed. On the other hand, my six month old has yet to even have a runny nose. The way I look at it, my older daughter could have been so much worse ha she not been a breast baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TattoodMommy19
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 6:03 PM
12 moms liked this
O_o
So then by this logic, even though it is best to not smoke cigarettes, but you know someone who never suffered any ill effects from it, you would have no idea how they came up with those facts?
I'm sure someone can provide you with links but the way you worded your post it seems as though you are looking for a reason to FF.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Brugger
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 6:05 PM

idk. My brother was BF and he's got asthma, had tubes put in his ears, has tons of allergies. I was FF, no asthma, no allergies, never had ear infections. haha 

but. i still stick with boobies preferably.

TTC2Long
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 6:07 PM
5 moms liked this
Also, subsequent children tend to get sick more often because their older sibs bring home the germs. Bf isn't a guarantee of perfect health nor is ff a death sentence. There are a number of factors at play. Have you Googled this? I'm sure you could find tons with a simple Google search.

Quoting melindabelcher:

http://bfcaa.com/breastfeeding-what-does-the-research-say/

This is one link, but your going to have to search around and try to find studies. Breastfeeding isn't a gurrantee that your child will be healthy, have no allergies etc but formula has risks of causing these.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asaffell
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 6:07 PM
4 moms liked this

From the AAP's publication, Pediatrics:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/115/2/496.full

One illness or even a handful of outliers in the data does not mean that breastmilk is similar. You should also look at the composition of breastmilk and the ingredients of formula to understand which is best - there is no comparison between a living substance made specifically to the needs of YOUR child (not anyone else's) and a dead substance full of corn syrup, palm oil, and dairy derivatives.

PinkButterfly66
by Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Breast milk has all the good fats that formula didn't until quite recently.  It also contains antibodies.  My daughter was formula fed from month 4 to month 12 and she's thrived too.  She's 5'4'', 130lb 14.5 gifted young woman who has been in International Baccalaurate program since 6th grade and made A's and just 2 B's each year.  So she obviously wasn't hurt by formula.  

susie3g
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Right. All the googled stuff says breast is best. But rather than just read that over and over, I'd like some statistics from some studies that back that statement up. Regardless of how many more antibodies breastmilk has than formula and yadda yadda, I'm wondering if they have actually done any research on babies, not just on the formula or the breastmilk. Does that make sense?  

Why can't you compare babies? Studies are done on people all the time. You just have to make sure that all the variables are accounted for. :)

Quoting MamaCat1121:

Maybe its just allergies....its a different type of year than your first. Breast is best for numerous reasons. Google breast is best and it'll bring up sooooooo much stuff. It's natural and meant for baby. Plus you can't compare two babies even if they're related....neither two are the same.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)