Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I don't want to stop BF.....but...

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 1:17 AM
  • 48 Replies
Okay here to start. My daughter is 8 weeks and like the dummy I am thought if I didn't supplement she would not be okay. So each time I bf her she may get an oz. I have tried Reglan, Fenugreek Supplements, and Mothers Milk Tea. Nothing seems to be getting me more. I have also started pumping every gwo hrs at home at night. I am sore but I am not ready to lose this fight. Is there anything else I can do? Should I stop supplementing? I am going nuts about this. I had the same problems with my first but didn't try as much.

I also have a 19 month old. Any help and advice would be greatly apprec iated.
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 1:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cowgirls10181
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 1:21 AM
I make me no bake oatmeal cookies with flax seed added to them, yummy and increase my milk by an ounceand helps fill my 9 month old up so we can sleep. Do you feed on demand?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 1:25 AM
Why do you think she's only getting an ounce when breastfeeding?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sreichelt26
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 1:27 AM
How are you determining low supply?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama02040608
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 1:35 AM
What the ladies above me said...what are you basing your ideas of low supply on?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 1:37 AM
4 moms liked this
It sounds like you are supplementing with formula after every breastfeeding, is that right?

Here's what you can o to decrease ormula supplements and increase your supply:

Stop supplementing after the first feeding in the morning. Nurse baby as long as she wants on the first breast, then offer the other breast. When she is finished with both breasts, offer both breasts again. If she still seems hungry, both breasts again.

After a few days you can drop the supplement from the second feeding of the day, and so on.

At every feeding, follow that same plan of letting baby nurse as long as she wants, the switching sides trying to get baby to take both breasts at least 2 times at every feeding.
sktrowb
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 1:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Feed on demand and quit supplementing. Let baby tell your body how much to make. Baby will always get more than a pump. Count diapers to see if baby is getting enough
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 6, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Not nearly enough to go on here. So let me get the basics.

Birth weight

Current weight

Nursed to schedule or on demand

Number of dipe changes per day

Very likely you don't need to supplement. We'll be asking more questions to get a better picture of what's really going on. 99% of moms who think they don't make enough are mistaken; they just didn't know that the standard issue newborn is pretty demanding and unpleasant!

kaelinbabies
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 3:50 AM
All of the lactation consultations from weigh ins.
kaelinbabies
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 3:52 AM
Quoting gdiamante:

Not nearly enough to go on here. So let me get the basics.

Birth weight: 8lbs 3oz

Current weight 9lbs 8oz t

Nursed to schedule or on demand: yes

Number of dipe changes per day average 8 or 9

Very likely you don't need to supplement. We'll be asking more questions to get a better picture of what's really going on. 99% of moms who think they don't make enough are mistaken; they just didn't know that the standard issue newborn is pretty demanding and unpleasant!

kaelinbabies
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 3:56 AM
Quoting maggiemom2000:

It sounds like you are supplementing with formula after every breastfeeding, is that right?
YES
Here's what you can o to decrease ormula supplements and increase your supply:

Stop supplementing after the first feeding in the morning. Nurse baby as long as she wants on the first breast, then offer the other breast. When she is finished with both breasts, offer both breasts again. If she still seems hungry, both breasts again.
I always offer both already.

After a few days you can drop the supplement from the second feeding of the day, and so on.

At every feeding, follow that same plan of letting baby nurse as long as she wants, the switching sides trying to get baby to take both breasts at least 2 times at every feeding.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)