Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I am experiencing low milk supply. I know the issues & am working on getting the supply up. I am just wondering- anyone else have issues and if so, how long did u hang on to improve your situation? Were ypu sucessful or did u end up giving up on the breast feeding? I hope there is light at the end of my tunnel!

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 3:50 AM
Replies (11-15):
LuvMyBabyboyGeo
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:28 PM
Tongue tie was clipped & supply is still low. I honestly think its all the stress I've been under.

Quoting collinsmommy0:

Yup. I've had almost every issue out there. Baby was tongue tied, got clipped & I was told it couldn't be clipped any more (by his pedi - not true tho). Low weight gain (no weight gain really), had to supplement (then weaned from that - obly supplemented w/formula for a few weeks), used a nipple shield & weaned him from that, mastitis, thrush, milk blisters, a milk bleb for 2+ months, recurrent clogged ducts.....finally got DSs tongue clipped correctly by an ENT. DSs mouth was 'tight' & I got trained in occupational therapy exercises to help him. Then he has a cows milk protein sensitivity. And is allergic to 5 other foods as well - so im on a restricted diet for him. It's been 15 months.

Every problem has a solution. Every problem. I solved each one as they came.

Your supply may be affected by te tongue tie. Get the tongue tie clipped & your supply will probably increase.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Aug. 11, 2012 at 1:53 PM
Have you tried the nursing vacation that gdiamante suggested? It really works!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM

I have to ask, because I haven't seen it... how are you determining low supply? Even lactation consultants can get it wrong, if they're not IBCLC.

How the sequence should have gone:

Birth to one week - loss of 10- 12% of birth weight. One dipe change per day of life.

One week to two weeks - begin regaining at rate of 4-6 ounces per week from LOWEST weight. 6-8 dipe changes per day.

If you're pumping, normal output is half an ounce to two ounces per session. 

If you do weigh/feed/weigh, it must be done over 24 hours minimum and averaged. ALL feeds and averaged; one weigh/feed/weigh is like electing a President based on one vote. It's an insufficient sampling.

With all that known, tell us what's going on.

LuvMyBabyboyGeo
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 11:49 PM
"One week to two weeks - begin regaining at rate of 4-6 ounces per week from LOWEST weight. 6-8 dipe changes per day.

If you're pumping, normal output is half an ounce to two ounces per session. "

There was NO weight gain at that period of time & poop was only once a week. Only constant diaper changes were pee.

Half ounce-two ounces per side or total?

I am confident in my lactation nurse, Thank You. The clinic is actually through the hospital.
I am more asking if people have given up after trying & not succeeding or how long did they try until they succeed after having issues.? I know many people would have given up in my situation a long time ago, & sometimes I feel the same, but I am trying to hang in there.
I think it's due to the stress I've had during the time surrounding his birth. Thank you for the suggestions :)

Quoting gdiamante:

I have to ask, because I haven't seen it... how are you determining low supply? Even lactation consultants can get it wrong, if they're not IBCLC.

How the sequence should have gone:

Birth to one week - loss of 10- 12% of birth weight. One dipe change per day of life.

One week to two weeks - begin regaining at rate of 4-6 ounces per week from LOWEST weight. 6-8 dipe changes per day.

If you're pumping, normal output is half an ounce to two ounces per session. 

If you do weigh/feed/weigh, it must be done over 24 hours minimum and averaged. ALL feeds and averaged; one weigh/feed/weigh is like electing a President based on one vote. It's an insufficient sampling.

With all that known, tell us what's going on.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 12, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Quoting LuvMyBabyboyGeo:

"One week to two weeks - begin regaining at rate of 4-6 ounces per week from LOWEST weight. 6-8 dipe changes per day.

If you're pumping, normal output is half an ounce to two ounces per session. "

There was NO weight gain at that period of time
OK. Can we get a weight history too? Birth, lowest, current + age in weeks.
& poop was only once a week. Only constant diaper changes were pee.
That's not necessarily a bad thing. Tell me about the once a week. If it was a big blowout, then you were in good shape there.

Half ounce-two ounces per side or total?
TOTAL. Both sides put together.

I am confident in my lactation nurse, Thank You. The clinic is actually through the hospital.
Unless the hospital is certified baby-friendly, I'd be concerned.
I am more asking if people have given up after trying & not succeeding or how long did they try until they succeed after having issues.?
ALL lengths for that are normal. We've known women who struggled with it EVERY day for 1-2 even 3 years. Various causes of the struggle. For one woman I know, she had to live on a severely restricted diet for four years because of her nursing daughter's allergies.
How long is strictly up to YOU. What other people do is not important. What you feel you can do is what matters.
I know many people would have given up in my situation a long time ago, & sometimes I feel the same, but I am trying to hang in there.
I think it's due to the stress I've had during the time surrounding his birth. Thank you for the suggestions :)
Generally supply issues are fixed in a day or two. Since you're not there yet and you SHOULD be if you took a nursing vacation, we want to find out what underlying issues are there.
Feeding on demand or to a schedule? The latter will leave you with an eternal struggle which can be easily fixed by taking a sledgehammer to your clock. **grin**
Has your thyroid been checked? Do you have PCOS? We had one mom who was a multi-year struggler due to this. Medical issues with mom can cause milk problems.
If dipes were sufficient, however.. supply isn't the problem. That's when you look at the BABY.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)