Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Foot and mouth

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:40 PM
  • 7 Replies
Mason is 11 months old and has foot and mouth disease. Just a slight rash on his palms. (pray that is as bad as it gets for him) I am just wondering about breast feeding. Anyone have an experience with this foot and mouth disease? I'm a ftm and never dealt with this before. I hope it won't hurt my nipples or mess up his feeding. He seems to be wanting to nurse more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
robibuni
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Well, my older DD had HFMD back in the Spring and at the time, my DD2 nursling was only 2 months and I was so worried she would get it as well. I kept nursing though and she never got anything.

It MAY affect his nursing but only if its bad enough that the HFMD is hurting his throat (they can get sores in their throat), in which case he may not WANT to nurse or eat. But keep offering and make sure he's hydrated. Also watch out for a fever and vomiting (normal, but still sucks).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrschelley1219
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Thank you for the reply!

Quoting robibuni:

Well, my older DD had HFMD back in the Spring and at the time, my DD2 nursling was only 2 months and I was so worried she would get it as well. I kept nursing though and she never got anything.

It MAY affect his nursing but only if its bad enough that the HFMD is hurting his throat (they can get sores in their throat), in which case he may not WANT to nurse or eat. But keep offering and make sure he's hydrated. Also watch out for a fever and vomiting (normal, but still sucks).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
levansbx
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep, what pp said :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrschelley1219
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 1:00 AM
Thanks.

Quoting levansbx:

Yep, what pp said :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heathercm26
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:20 AM
I have no idea if it will affect nursing....eeek call a nurse and ask em. Good to have the facts. Baby is probably niraing more for comfort, and because they need more fluids when sick. Just a thought.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabsmom10
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 5:43 AM
Are you nervous you might get it? I wonder how contagious it is??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrschelley1219
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 5:09 PM
I guess I'm a little worried about my nipples. I wonder if I should clean them before and after he nurses. I've always stuck with the don't put soaps on the nipples since we started breast feeding.

Quoting cabsmom10:

Are you nervous you might get it? I wonder how contagious it is??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN