Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Lactation help (answers) increase milk production

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:08 PM
  • 1 Replies

Thanks to everyone who was trying to help me find ways to increase milk production. I was recommended this book by my registered dietitian: "Wise Woman Herbal, Childbearing Year" by Susun Weed. on page 84 there's a section about lactation...

1. Simple teas or infusions of nourishing herbs such as Comfrey, Raspberry leaf, *Nettles, Alfalfa, or Red Clover enoucrage a plentiful supply of breast milk and a relaxed healthy mother. 
  2. Apricots, asparagus, green beans, carrots, sweet potatoes, peas, pecans and all leafy greens such as beet greens, Parsley, Watercress and Dandelion leaves are considered helpful in increasing and sustaining lactation.
  3. Blessed Thistle Leaves - famed for it's ability to increase milk supply, it is best used as a tincture - up to 20 drops 2-4 times per day is the usual dose. **It is said to remove suicidal feelings and depression as well. 
  4. Borage leaves are mostly highly regarded as a tea for increasing milk flow. half a cupful of borage infusion (it doesn't say how to make infusion) at each nursing insures an abundant milk supply, acts as a mild laxative and soothes jangled nerves.
  5. Fennel/Barley water - prepare by soaking 1/2 cup pearled barley in 3 cups cold water overnight or boil for 25 minutes. Strain and discard barley (or add to soup), keep the water. Heat a cup or two to boiling as needed and store the rest in the refrigerator. Pour 1 cup barley water over 1 tsp fennel seeds and steep up to 30 minutes. This combination not only increase breast mil, but eases after-pains and settles the digestion of BOTH mom and baby. 
  6. Hops flowers - this is an old, old remedy for mother os twins who need lots more milk. (Beer is suggested as a convenient source of hops)

Recipe for Nursing Formula:

• 1 oz dried Blessed Thistle or Borage Leaves
  • 1 oz dried Raspberry or Nettle leaves
  • 1 tsp any ONE of the following seeds: Anise, Cumin, Fennel, Caraway, Coriander or Dill

Instructions:

Place leaves in 1/2 gallon jar and fill to the top with boiling water. Cap tightly and let steep overnight. Strain out herbs and refrigerate liquid until needed. When ready to nurse, pour off one cupful and heat until nearly boiling. Pour over one teaspoonful of one of the seeds listed above. Let it brew and cool for 5 minutes before drinking. 

This brew can be drunk freely, up to 2 quarts per day. 

*Blessed Thistle or Borage stimulates milk flow and restores vitality to wearymothers. Raspberry and Nettle supply vitamins and minerals, notably calcium needed for plentiful lactation. Aromatic seeds increase milk production and tone digestive system; their powers are carried through the breast milk to the child curtailing colic and indigestion. 

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you. I'll add that to the linked post.

EDITED TO ADD: I've actually asked the CafeMom Admin to add it to the collection of resources links New info is ALWAYS great.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN