Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Questions about diet

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 5:29 AM
  • 49 Replies
How do I diet without it affecting my milk???

I
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 5:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
workinm0mmy
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 5:31 AM
Figure out your calories you need then add the 500 for bfing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 5:35 AM
2187 calories would bet number. My issue is that the only diet I have ever done is low carb. Which only give me 40.1g for carbs I feel like that's such a small number ESP since I
Breast feeding kwim?

Quoting workinm0mmy:

Figure out your calories you need then add the 500 for bfing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Aug. 8, 2012 at 8:05 AM

What you eat is more to protect your body. Your milk will take nutrients from yourself if you don't take them in. Weight Watchers has a great program for breastfeeding moms.

BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 8:57 AM
I have never done weight watchers I have found I have had a lot of success w the low carbs but I'm worried to do it again. My dr told me that my milk wasn't nutritious enough and put me on a eat everything you see diet. But I put on a bit of weight so I'm just trying to get back to where I was then

Quoting melindabelcher:

What you eat is more to protect your body. Your milk will take nutrients from yourself if you don't take them in. Weight Watchers has a great program for breastfeeding moms.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Doc is an idiot and totally false. What you eat (or don't eat) affects *you*. Starving mothers in third world countries make just as perfect milk. Keeping hydrated is most important.

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

I have never done weight watchers I have found I have had a lot of success w the low carbs but I'm worried to do it again. My dr told me that my milk wasn't nutritious enough and put me on a eat everything you see diet. But I put on a bit of weight so I'm just trying to get back to where I was then

Quoting melindabelcher:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amiesmomma
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:13 AM
I did weight watchers with baby #1. Im on #3 with a LOT of weight to lose and will likely do it again. Problem with low Carb is that it takes an entire food group, one deeple imbedded in our culture, away forever.

GL momma
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:16 AM
That's what I thought so I started dieting Friday. And well yesterday dd was super fussy and mil made the comment about me starving her. (now this woman has been super supportive but she's quitting smoking so I try not to take everything to heart but it's hard to hear)
And she ate a ton yesterday which of course made me second guessing myself.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Doc is an idiot and totally false. What you eat (or don't eat) affects *you*. Starving mothers in third world countries make just as perfect milk. Keeping hydrated is most important.

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

Quoting melindabelcher:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:19 AM
I have thought of that which is what made me ask about it on here.

I'm thinking I'll have sandwiches for lunch. Which will add 2 more servings of carbs to my day and it will hopefully be enough.

I eat mostly organic as well

Quoting amiesmomma:

I did weight watchers with baby #1. Im on #3 with a LOT of weight to lose and will likely do it again. Problem with low Carb is that it takes an entire food group, one deeple imbedded in our culture, away forever.

GL momma
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:27 AM
Staying hydrated is most important. But milk "not being fatty" enough is just silly :)

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

That's what I thought so I started dieting Friday. And well yesterday dd was super fussy and mil made the comment about me starving her. (now this woman has been super supportive but she's quitting smoking so I try not to take everything to heart but it's hard to hear)

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

Quoting melindabelcher:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paradys
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:33 AM
How old is lo? Babies get fussy for all kinds of reasons and if it was on the same day as diet change, it was to soon for it to have effected your milk yet. It can take somewhere between 1-3 wks for a diet change to fully hit your milk.
The only thing you really need to worry about when dieting and bfing is starving yourself. Your body will literally steal all the nutrients it needs for baby and leave you dying. Don't do that!

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

Quoting melindabelcher:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)