Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Feeling like a bad mom

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 7:33 AM
  • 19 Replies
Not really, but kinda. I can't tell when DS is hungry. What kind of mom can't tell when their child is hungry? He seriously doesn't have any of the traditional cues. So I have been guessing and I end up nursing him every 1-2 hours unless he is sleeping. Then I nurse when he wakes up. But there are times when I am not sure if he is hungry - like he chews his hand all the time, even after he just nursed. So I will try to hold him off until I am sure. Then he will fall asleep, but it has been almost 3 hours since he ate last. I don't want him to go to long, so then I nurse. I feel so stupid about this. Like I cannot figure out how to nurse my baby on demand! :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 7:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Aug. 8, 2012 at 7:38 AM

He won't go to long. If he was really hungry he'd let you know, and he wouldn't be sleeping :)

No such thing as being a bad mom unless you beat your children.

angiekevin03
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 7:39 AM

i nurse when he crys or turns tward me . at 1st i was same but he 4months nowso i get his cues . he also uses me as a pacifier so hes always on me . it suck lol

HeatherNicole79
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 7:44 AM
So right after I posted this he started fussing. I changed his diaper and he was still fussy so I nursed him. It has been 2 hours since he nursed last. He latched, got let down and nursed for about 2 minutes. Then pulled off and went to sleep. Is that ok?? Will my supply drop because of him not nursing for longer and on both sides?

He also pulls my nipple a lot. Almost to the point of letting go, then he sucks it back in. It makes for painful nursing sessions. I thought he was hitting a growth spurt, although he is only 2 months, but he has been doing it since he turned 2 months (about 2 weeks) and he will be 3 months in 2 weeks. The constant pulling and sucking the nipple back in makes for short nursing sessions. I know he is getting enough - diapers are great. I'm just afraid that with that and the not being able to figure out his cues, I am going to kill my supply eventually.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
liltrippymom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 7:45 AM
I was the same way with the twins. It takes time mama. You will learn his hunger cry and other subtle cues. My sister insisted the when ds sucked on his hand he was hungry. But nope he just liked his hands. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HeatherNicole79
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 7:45 AM
So it took you a few months to figure out his cues? Mine is 2 weeks away from 3 months. That makes me feel better. Thanks!

Quoting angiekevin03:

i nurse when he crys or turns tward me . at 1st i was same but he 4months nowso i get his cues . he also uses me as a pacifier so hes always on me . it suck lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Aug. 8, 2012 at 7:58 AM

as long as your bf on demand and not supplimenting at all your supply will be perfect for him.

levansbx
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 8:28 AM

My dd was the same way!  She'd always chew here hands, and she rarely cried.  She'd nurse whenever I'd offer it, but it seemed like she never "asked" for it.  I just made sure I didn't go more than 3 hours between feedings.  Just look for 6-8 diapers a day to make sure he's getting enough.  Babies are all different and you just do what works for you and your baby.  You're not a bad mom at all. :)

Clh1989
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:04 AM
I understand completely! My daughters hands are always in her mouth and she is always trying to eat everything around her. The usual hunger cues apparently don't apply to her. I basically nurse her everytime she fusses lol.
HeatherNicole79
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:26 AM
I just had a friend (who has nursed 4 babies) tell me that I need to pump after every time I nurse him if he pulls off a lot. To keep up my supply. She does that and stores it for sippies when they get older. I don't know how she does it! She has 3 other kids and is nursing the 1 year old now. I don't want to be on my pump all day and I only have a 5 year old to worry about! Please tell me that she is being overly cautious about her supply and doesn't really need to pump after every session, even if baby is on and off on and off for only a short amount of time!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amiesmomma
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow. That's a lot of work. No, you dont need to pump after each short session. Sometimes my dd nurses just long enough to pass gas or poop then pops off. She isn't hungry but is seeking comfort

Quoting HeatherNicole79:

I just had a friend (who has nursed 4 babies) tell me that I need to pump after every time I nurse him if he pulls off a lot. To keep up my supply. She does that and stores it for sippies when they get older. I don't know how she does it! She has 3 other kids and is nursing the 1 year old now. I don't want to be on my pump all day and I only have a 5 year old to worry about! Please tell me that she is being overly cautious about her supply and doesn't really need to pump after every session, even if baby is on and off on and off for only a short amount of time!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)